Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Tune with a stock air box

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 02:48 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

I've got a 2016 Supercharged GT. Question: Is there any downside to leaving the top/lid off the filter/airbox when the car is moving? Obviously you will get more warm air into the intake when the car sits still, but how about when the car is accelerating Why the question? Because I like the whine & sound of the supercharger/intake when the top is off the air box.

My guess is that there is no downside when the car is moving as enough air circulates under the hood to avoid much hot air going into the intake.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:45 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

the air that gets circulated while at speed is air that is dranw in across the heat exchangers, and anything that might be circulating underhood, is going to be hot air, hot air is the enemy of boosted engines. your tune will pull timing as the intake air temp goes up, plain and simple. and along with timing goes power
Old 03-31-2016, 10:05 AM
daytripper
1st Gear Member

what does your intake air temp show ? You should be able to easily see if it is hotter air with the cover off.
Old 04-01-2016, 07:37 AM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Since I started this thread, read post #29.
Old 04-04-2016, 03:51 PM
Dragonetti
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. D
I've got a 2016 Supercharged GT. Question: Is there any downside to leaving the top/lid off the filter/airbox when the car is moving? Obviously you will get more warm air into the intake when the car sits still, but how about when the car is accelerating Why the question? Because I like the whine & sound of the supercharger/intake when the top is off the air box.

My guess is that there is no downside when the car is moving as enough air circulates under the hood to avoid much hot air going into the intake.
Air filter will get wet if caught out in the rain with top off that air box. Water falls right on the filter through the hood vent. I forgot to put mine back on before rain came and it was bad.
Old 05-14-2016, 03:15 PM
goldenglory18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Yours Truly
If you could sell a Mustang with 435hp, or sell one with 445hp just by changing 8 cents worth of plastic, which one is the marketing dept going to endorse? Hmmmm. (Taps finger on side of desk...) Hmmmmmm. Let me think...
If the change in HP decreases the EPA certified MPG's, then yeah, the Marketing Dept will go for the lower HP number...
Old 05-14-2016, 03:55 PM
jwog666
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by goldenglory18
If the change in HP decreases the EPA certified MPG's, then yeah, the Marketing Dept will go for the lower HP number...

mpg and hp are not directly correlated, load on the engine and mpg are
removing an air inlet restriction will not lower mpg, the only thing that can do that is your right foot
Old 05-15-2016, 02:39 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by daytripper
what does your intake air temp show ? You should be able to easily see if it is hotter air with the cover off.
Good idea! I'll check if I can figure out how to do it. Silly, because I just like to hear the supercharger whine a little! It's not about power! Shallow huh!
Old 05-15-2016, 02:54 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragonetti
Air filter will get wet if caught out in the rain with top off that air box. Water falls right on the filter through the hood vent. I forgot to put mine back on before rain came and it was bad.
Probably one reason why Roush recommends against it! Actually what I had in mind was making spacers to raise the top about 1/2 to 3/4" just to hear the supercharger whine a little more. I also was thinking about trying to reinstall the "Sound Tube... or whatever it's called. It shouldn't be a problem because air doesn't go through it.... just sound... maybe. The 2016 GT sounds really tame with a Roush Supercharger compared to my 2008 GT. Most people would appreciate it being quieter making it a more sophisticated modification for comparison to European Super Cars. It seems just like a stock GT automatic, but simply goes faster from 30 MPH to way too fast for me! The auto trans. works great with the supercharger. I was afraid the power would come on too hard, but it doesn't especially if you downshift with the paddle shifters & then give it fuel gradually. I just found out that the paddle shifters work in regular drive mode, then it works automatically when you get off it! What a great transmission Ford has put in the GT...considering it's not at a Ferrari price. I'll just leave it alone to protect my warranty. Roush is watching!
Old 05-15-2016, 02:57 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by goldenglory18
True, but also maybe choose the lower HP, so they can add ten HP next model year as they do with tuning!