Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

2015 automatic shifter connected to anything?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2018, 09:48 PM
ozone

Default 2015 automatic shifter connected to anything?

Can anyone tell me if the shift lever has a mechanical connection to the transmission or is it just connected electronically with a mechanical shifter feel? Thanks.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:51 PM
ozone

Wow! I expected a more active community for Mustangs.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:21 PM
Intrepid175
1st Gear Member

I can see how it feels that way to you in this case. Ask the right (or wrong) question and you'll get plenty of feedback, probably more than you'd want. In this case, I'd think it's likely that they're like me. They simply don't know the answer to your question. Personally, in these days and times, I'd think the automatic "gear shift" lever was electronic and not mechanical but I don't know that for a fact.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:18 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

It really isn't hard either, to get under the car and LOOK for a shifter cable.

6R80 6sp, on the driver side, middle of trans is where the cable connects...
Old 06-18-2018, 08:21 PM
ozone

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm sorry if that came across as critical. It was actually true astonishment. I own three Toyotas and there isn't a lot of support for them. The Mustang is a pretty popular car with a lot of support, so I just figured a lot of people knew the answer.

BTW, I can't look under the car because I don't own one. I'm doing research for a future build.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:10 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

The problem is, there is a newer forum site for the S550 mustangs.... I believe it's run by the same admin as ours. That's where most people with a S550 are.

just look up mustang 6g forum. That place is very active. I've been lurking there learning about the issues with the newer stangs before I make the decision to purchase one. Seems like early 2018 are having issues as expected and is the norm for an updated model. Lot of useful info on weak points of the new IRS including bolts that like to sheer off under moderate to heavy driving styles either street or track. etc, etc.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:39 PM
08'MustangDude
Banned

The cable is basically just there for manual shifting and park. When in "D", it's
still electronically controlled. Even if you are in "1" and you hit the rev limiter and
are still on the fuel pedal, or WOT, it will upshift to "2". And, will continue to upshift
every time it reaches the rev limiter no matter what the selector is in. You can,
essentially, leave it in "1". and stay at WOT, and it will continue to upshift every time
it hits the rev limit.

Those new shifters Chrysler started using in 2012, and BMW has had years before,
are totally different. AS are the DIAL shifter the RAMs use.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:42 PM
ozone

Originally Posted by Derf00
The problem is, there is a newer forum site for the S550 mustangs.... I believe it's run by the same admin as ours. That's where most people with a S550 are.

just look up mustang 6g forum. That place is very active. I've been lurking there learning about the issues with the newer stangs before I make the decision to purchase one. Seems like early 2018 are having issues as expected and is the norm for an updated model. Lot of useful info on weak points of the new IRS including bolts that like to sheer off under moderate to heavy driving styles either street or track. etc, etc.
Bolts shearing in the IRS? Holy Cow! That doesn't sound good at all for a car with so much power.
Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look.
So is the S550 the version starting with the IRS?

O3
Old 06-20-2018, 09:50 PM
ozone

Originally Posted by 08'MustangDude
The cable is basically just there for manual shifting and park. When in "D", it's
still electronically controlled. Even if you are in "1" and you hit the rev limiter and
are still on the fuel pedal, or WOT, it will upshift to "2". And, will continue to upshift
every time it reaches the rev limiter no matter what the selector is in. You can,
essentially, leave it in "1". and stay at WOT, and it will continue to upshift every time
it hits the rev limit.

Those new shifters Chrysler started using in 2012, and BMW has had years before,
are totally different. AS are the DIAL shifter the RAMs use.
Thanks. A cable shifter is perfect, much easier than trying to snake a solid mechanism around things.
Old 06-21-2018, 04:37 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Originally Posted by ozone
Bolts shearing in the IRS? Holy Cow! That doesn't sound good at all for a car with so much power.
Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look.
So is the S550 the version starting with the IRS?

O3
Aside from a few thousand SVT Cobras between 1999 and 2004, Yes, the 2015
was the year it went to IRS, 50 years later... My Charger had it, and it was so much
better, AND easier to swap differentials.

Quick Reply: 2015 automatic shifter connected to anything?