Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2011 Stang on Motortrend.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 06:43 PM
Rollin Thunder
2nd Gear Member

No matter the numbers. Im still quite happy getting a loaded '10 GT for 23k and throwing a roush charger on there.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:16 PM
Kona6Stang10
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by OICW
No, lateral means "sideways". You'll need AWD or slicks to lauch anywhere near .94g

What you're looking at is the AVERAGE g-force during the figure-8 run. Trust me, a 1975 Crown Vic would get better skidpad number than what you listed.

I did find something surprising though, V6 does indeed out-handle 5.0:

0.96g skidpad
104 ft 60mph braking

Weird as hell!
lol @ the guy thinkin Lateral Acceleration was forward acceleration ha!
the Bugatti Veyron and McLaren F1 are the only two STOCK STREET CARS that I know of that produce more or right near 1 G of forward *launch Acceleration
Old 03-29-2010, 09:24 PM
OICW
3rd Gear Member

1g forward is easy:

1) Get AWD car, like STi
2) Mount a 100lbs flywheel
3) Rev to redline
4) Dump clutch

Now, regarding the handling thing, I can see the V6 out cornering the V8, due to lighter front end. But the 14" Brembo fixed calipers should absolutely murder the V6 sliding calipers in braking.

I'll bet after a couple stops from 100 mph the Brembo equipped 5.0 would really pull ahead (or behind, rather)
Old 03-29-2010, 09:43 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

10" rotors on a single piston calipers will stop a car just as effectively as 14" rotors with 4-piston super fancy calipers will. If it locks the wheel up, it locks the wheel up. End of story.

The difference is in two main things - feel and fade. You will get crap feel out of the former setup because the single piston transmits relatively little feeling back to the pedal, and after the first or second panic stop the brakes will be so hot that pushing the pedal essentially does nothing as the pads ride on a thick layer of outgassing against the rotor.

Thus, the Brembo brakes will really shine at the track as they will take a LOT of abuse before beginning to fade, and on the street as brake modulation will be excellent due to the many small pistons and fixed calipers. But they won't stop any faster. That is completely dependent on tire contact area and softness, and suspension geometry (anti-dive characteristics).
Old 03-29-2010, 09:46 PM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by OICW
I'll bet after a couple stops from 100 mph the Brembo equipped 5.0 would really pull ahead (or behind, rather)
Didn't see this in my last post (boy sleeping pills are awesome) but basically, bingo. The first test will be a dead heat. The seventh consecutive test, however, will likely show the V6 producing 200-300+ foot stop times, while the Brembo GT will still be slinging out 100-110 foot stop times like a champ.

Edit (cos I've post-spammed enough already): The Hennessey CTS-V does 1G forward as well. I recall a somewhat humorous video of OnStar calling the driver immediately after its 1G+ drag pull asking him if he'd been in an accident!

Last edited by hawkeye18; 03-29-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:17 PM
Rollin Thunder
2nd Gear Member

I would rather have carbon ceramic brakes. like in the 911.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:30 PM
Commander Bubbles
2nd Gear Member

I'm sure that this is officially the best new performance car for the dollar.

The 5.0 is one of the best as well. Cornering has come a long way since the 05-09 models.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:04 AM
OICW
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
10" rotors on a single piston calipers will stop a car just as effectively as 14" rotors with 4-piston super fancy calipers will. If it locks the wheel up, it locks the wheel up. End of story.

The difference is in two main things - feel and fade. You will get crap feel out of the former setup because the single piston transmits relatively little feeling back to the pedal, and after the first or second panic stop the brakes will be so hot that pushing the pedal essentially does nothing as the pads ride on a thick layer of outgassing against the rotor.
Know exactly what you're saying. I have a Dodge Intrepid police package, and I swear it had the world's most aggressive pad friction from factory. C&D got a 70mph-0 only 4 feet longer than a Carrera at 167', and ties a modern day M3.

I was happy till I realized with normal EE rated pads, that 167' became 210'. Even my FF rated Hawk HPS is no where close to OEM (which were likely GG).

The aggressive pad was to compensate for a flexy caliper. My pedal is spongy as hell, even with a master cylinder brace. At this point I would give anything to feel a nice firm pedal. To a degree, fade can always be resisted by using 1600F+ race pads, but it still won't give a proper pedal feel.

For the above reason, I would order the new GT for the Brembo package alone (once I save up enough $ that is).
Old 03-30-2010, 02:06 AM
OICW
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rollin Thunder
I would rather have carbon ceramic brakes. like in the 911.
Till the time comes for new brakes...

Ready for $10k for rotors and pads?
Old 03-30-2010, 02:51 AM
Rollin Thunder
2nd Gear Member

you dont have to spend that much. I have seen the roters go for 600 a piece and pads 250 a piece. 3400 every 15k miles or so isn't bad.

Quick Reply: 2011 Stang on Motortrend.