Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

UPDATE: muscle mustang 5.0L Dyno numbers

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 06:53 PM
2011CS
1st Gear Member

I would like to see the factory headers with an offroad x or h pipe with the same tune and same exhaust otherwise.

The only change from test 1 to test 2 would be the factory vs LT aftermarket headers.

I bet it's within 5 hp.

Jeff
Old 07-18-2010, 05:45 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2011CS
I would like to see the factory headers with an offroad x or h pipe with the same tune and same exhaust otherwise.

The only change from test 1 to test 2 would be the factory vs LT aftermarket headers.

I bet it's within 5 hp.

Jeff
The Lead Engineer on the 5.0 Project said the difference between the T-Headers and Longtubes was 15 bhp.

T-Headers are only worth 6 bhp over manifolds. They do help midrange torque a lot though.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:37 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cidsamuth
Interesting that the headers/exhaust do nothing for power until 4500 RPM
It actually start to produce more power at 3500 RPM. It is hard to see on the graph, but if you look at the torque curve, you can see that a little more torque starting to rise over the curve without the headers/exhaust.

It might not be much, maybe only a few, but it is none the less a little more that contributes to just a little more acceleration. It might not add that coveted few tenths of a second off your 1/4, but if you are shooting for faster than 12s, but if you are already at very low 12s, that can bring you to just under 12
Old 07-25-2010, 08:58 PM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stainless Works
Ok so we received the dyno numbers from the guys at Lamotta Performance.

Baseline- 371 RWHP 363TQ
with CAI and very mild tune- 397 RWHP 380TQ
then added our headers and exhaust and retuned- 419 RWHP 384 TQ

Enjoy guys!

My question is, why only a "very mild" tune with the CAI addition?
It makes me question how much power the full exhaust really makes?
When you added the full exhaust, why didn't you do a "very mild tune" for it too then?

You stated you are not selling the tunes, but are selling the full exhaust system. So one could argue it feels like a marketing reason why you added only a "very mild tune" after the CAI was added, but presumably the "retune" with the full exhaust your shop is selling was a much more aggressive tune.

Wouldn't it be a more fair and accurate representation of what the full exhaust does for the car if the tune for the CAI was not just a "mild" tune but a safe yet aggressive tune to begin with? (ie: I wonder how much of that additional 22 rwhp came from the more aggressive tune and not the full exhaust?)

BTW, maybe I passed over it, but you have any sound clips?
I'd also be interested to know how much the catback section added and how much the headers added? Did you guys do a dyno with catted midpipe back first and then add the headers and redyno? If so, what was the dyno for the car without the headers?

Last edited by Driver72; 07-25-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:06 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

In California, the only headers which will be legal are ones which do not move the location of the 02 sensors or the factory catalytic converters. Since Ford actually designed headers instead of manifold logs for the 5.0, I doubt any California legal headers will be on the market which actually make more power than stock ones.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:42 AM
Stainless Works
Former Sponsor

OK i'm going to say this again. WE DID NOT DO THIS HERE. This was a build done by Lamotta Performance for a magazine build. We just supplied the product. It is NOT a marketing ploy by us with the tune. I really wish people would completely read things before they start asking why we didn't do this or that.

Secondly for the ecu of the car to gain everything from a certain mod you HAVE TO tune it. For instance; on most cars when you put long tube headers with high flow cats on you generally turn off the rear O2 sensors so you don't throw a check engine light. This is considered a "tune", so no horsepower was gained from the tune but it just helped the car from throwing a light. With CAI sometimes you need to tweek the mass air flow sensor so that when it sees a sudden rush of air it doesn't throw a light too.

We didn't perform the dyno or the tune. It is what it is as i post it. I have no control over it and again if you would have read the whole post you would realize this.
Sorry, but i am just getting sick of people asking why we didn't dyno it this way or tune it that way. WE DIDN"T DO IT.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:36 PM
Driver72
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stainless Works
OK i'm going to say this again. WE DID NOT DO THIS HERE. This was a build done by Lamotta Performance for a magazine build. We just supplied the product. It is NOT a marketing ploy by us with the tune. I really wish people would completely read things before they start asking why we didn't do this or that.

We didn't perform the dyno or the tune. It is what it is as i post it. I have no control over it and again if you would have read the whole post you would realize this.
Sorry, but i am just getting sick of people asking why we didn't dyno it this way or tune it that way. WE DIDN"T DO IT.
One could argue then that before getting all pissy with potential future customers with responses like yours above (which doesn't help those potential future customers actually become customers, but rather pushes them more towards becoming competitors customers) you may want to put all the information you are getting agro over in the FIRST POST, as some may not have time to read all the responses in a thread to see if those points were previously brought up.
There was zero mention that you did not do the tune in the original post.
All it stated was you got the dyno numbers from Lamotta.
Just a suggestion cuz lord knows I (and probably many many others) would never do business with anybody or any company who responded to a potential customers question with a response like that.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:54 PM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Driver72
One could argue then that before getting all pissy with potential future customers with responses like yours above (which doesn't help those potential future customers actually become customers, but rather pushes them more towards becoming competitors customers) you may want to put all the information you are getting agro over in the FIRST POST, as some may not have time to read all the responses in a thread to see if those points were previously brought up.
There was zero mention that you did not do the tune in the original post.
All it stated was you got the dyno numbers from Lamotta.
Just a suggestion cuz lord knows I (and probably many many others) would never do business with anybody or any company who responded to a potential customers question with a response like that.

First of all - Anyone with even the slightest bit of reading comprehension would have realized that the part mentioning, "Ok so we received the dyno numbers from the guys at Lamotta Performance." would imply that SW did not perform the tune.

Second - You came on here, openly attacking their business ethics / marketing, with absolutely no ground to stand on (facts, evidence, anything substantial in any way shape or form other than your possibly idiotic opinion, etc). He simply clarified that what you had said was false, slanderous, unsubstantiated, yada yada.

To take his reply in such a way as to deter your future business would only solidify the thought running through my mind, and perhaps others currently reading this thread: Indeed, we have a moron on our hands, gentlemen. Be happy there is a vendor working so closely with us as to post updates about new products in a very public way, rather than on their personal website where you might never have known about it.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:49 AM
Stainless Works
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by VistaBlue
First of all - Anyone with even the slightest bit of reading comprehension would have realized that the part mentioning, "Ok so we received the dyno numbers from the guys at Lamotta Performance." would imply that SW did not perform the tune.

Second - You came on here, openly attacking their business ethics / marketing, with absolutely no ground to stand on (facts, evidence, anything substantial in any way shape or form other than your possibly idiotic opinion, etc). He simply clarified that what you had said was false, slanderous, unsubstantiated, yada yada.

To take his reply in such a way as to deter your future business would only solidify the thought running through my mind, and perhaps others currently reading this thread: Indeed, we have a moron on our hands, gentlemen. Be happy there is a vendor working so closely with us as to post updates about new products in a very public way, rather than on their personal website where you might never have known about it.
Thank you Vista! You are correct sir. I felt like our ethics were being attacked and it was very unsubstantiated. Any of our customers know that we go above and beyond when it comes to customer service and i appreciate you standing up for us.

OK- back to the topic!
Old 07-27-2010, 11:24 AM
SirKnightTG
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Driver72
Wouldn't it be a more fair and accurate representation of what the full exhaust does for the car if the tune for the CAI was not just a "mild" tune but a safe yet aggressive tune to begin with? (ie: I wonder how much of that additional 22 rwhp came from the more aggressive tune and not the full exhaust?)

No. Do you even know what an "aggressive tune" means? It means more timing. Period. As long as the re-tune after headers (to turn of rear o2) did not change timing it's fine.

Sounds to me you're just trying to pick a fight. fuktard.

Quick Reply: UPDATE: muscle mustang 5.0L Dyno numbers