Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Considering getting a 2011 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 06:14 PM
RIP-U-N2

Default Considering getting a 2011 5.0

I own a 2002 Trans Am ws-6 and although I love the car I would like to get something a little more comfortable and fun to drive. The Trans am rides like a lumber wagon compared to the mustang I drove. I have my choices down to 2 vehicle. The 2011 Challenger srt8 which will have the new 392 475hp engine or a 2011 5.0.(There is no way I can swing the GT500). I built the 5.0 online with the brembo brake package, 6 speed, interior accent package, and metallic grey paint. Total came in at 36,900. Thats alot cheaper than the srt8will be. If anyone has the new 5.0 please tell me how it preforms and if there has been any problems with it. The new 6 speed trans has me a little nervous since they didn't go with the tremec. Also does anyone know what size clutch is used and if it's a high performance version? Not to mention the last mustang I owned (a 2001 bullitt) was very unreliable. I hope Ford has redesigned the throwout bearing since everyone I know myself included had them replaced on a regular basis. I really like this car I just don't want to buy something that can't be driven like a muscle car should. The Trans-am with the LS1 and 6 speed tremec has been rock solid.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:07 AM
mtflyboy25
3rd Gear Member

I have about 1300 miles on mine and I dont have any problems! It is the fastest car I have ever driven by far, and I get pretty decent gas mileage on it. Now the Chally is an extremely comfortable car, but it doesnt have the handling of the GT... But the choice is really yours! I want to see the new SRT8 with the 475 hp vs the 2011 5.0.... Good luck on your choice..
Old 09-27-2010, 02:10 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I say go for a '11 GT with Brembo option if your can.

Or if you are willing to wait for next year, you have two options:
1) If you want to go with the '11GT, you can save some money over sticker with end of year sales incentives when the 2012 models come out.
2) If you can pony up more cash, say, maybe $45K (just my guess of the price, do not take this as fact), you can put yourself into a waiting list for the 2012 Boss.

The Boss should be able to hang with the SRT8, it will most likely be in the same price range. Actually, the Boss should out-perform the SRT8. It will be lighter, have a better suspension set-up, and just with a tune, you can unlock much more power; no less than 450 crank BHP (just give the tuners some time to write the tunes and that advertised Boss 420 crank HP will be very easily surpassed).

If you get an '11 GT now, or take advantage of next year's end of year incentive sales for an '11 GT, you can do some mods, such as bolt on a supercharger. FRPP I believe will be offering a supercharger for the Coyote (if it is not already available).
Old 09-28-2010, 12:34 AM
wesessiah

Originally Posted by JIM5.0

1) If you want to go with the '11GT, you can save some money over sticker with end of year sales incentives when the 2012 models come out.
2) If you can pony up more cash, say, maybe $45K (just my guess of the price, do not take this as fact), you can put yourself into a waiting list for the 2012 Boss.

The Boss should be able to hang with the SRT8, it will most likely be in the same price range. Actually, the Boss should out-perform the SRT8. It will be lighter, have a better suspension set-up, and just with a tune, you can unlock much more power; no less than 450 crank BHP (just give the tuners some time to write the tunes and that advertised Boss 420 crank HP will be very easily surpassed).

If you get an '11 GT now, or take advantage of next year's end of year incentive sales for an '11 GT, you can do some mods, such as bolt on a supercharger. FRPP I believe will be offering a supercharger for the Coyote (if it is not already available).
the number i've been seeing quoted is 440hp... so there will probably be more potential than 450 flywheel.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:37 AM
steele901
4th Gear Member

Have you considered an 07ish GT500? They can be had for $29-31,000 with 10-20K miles if you really look. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:45 AM
Joe in Dublin
2nd Gear Member

I think the stang would still take the challenger even with the new motor... So far 4k miles no problems, i picked mine up for invoice minus rebates..
Old 09-28-2010, 11:08 AM
Panzer6

I've got over 4K on mine already. No problems, except it's hard to leave in the driveway.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:11 PM
RIP-U-N2

Originally Posted by steele901
Have you considered an 07ish GT500? They can be had for $29-31,000 with 10-20K miles if you really look. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Yes, I did look into the possibility of a GT500. I know where there is a 2009 for sale with only 4000 miles for 38,900. If it wasn't for the color (Grabber Orange) I would go for it. Reminds me of a school bus with the color combination. If it was blue or grey I would jump on it. I have built a GT500 at the Ford website about 100x. Metallic grey with silver stripes. I would like something with a warranty also.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:26 PM
RIP-U-N2

Originally Posted by JIM5.0

I have considered all of the above. The mustang gt 5.0 is by far the best bang for the buck but I have read about the clutch problem they are having and I had a similar problem with my 01 bullitt.
The boss was an option but I'm sure they will be rare and dealers will mark them up. Plus I'm not sold on the looks of the car. They should have kept the original c-stripe and possibly added a functional scoop such as the shaker. Instead of deleating the fogs and leaving the area blacked out they should have kept the fogs and offered a light cover that simply snaps over them like on my 2003 liberty renegade. Or better yet a wire mesh grille cover for them to give it a racing look. The engine on the other hand sounds like the real deal but they should move to the tremec 6 speed. The fact that they still use it in the gt500 proves it is a stronger trans.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:10 PM
bigjohns97

I think you will be very happy with the new 5.0, I myself was coming from a 01 camaro ss and was a little dissappointed at first but have really grown to like the car.

You are on the right track with what you are ordering just pull the trigger and have your tuner ready when it arrives.

Quick Reply: Considering getting a 2011 5.0