Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

I Heard Tremec Will Make a 6 Speed for the Coyote

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 11:29 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Default I Heard Tremec Will Make a 6 Speed for the Coyote

Does anyone have any clue what this Tremec tranny will be like? I am about ready to swap out my Chinese MT82 for a real German made tranny, I was actually thinking about looking at a TR6060, but I do not know how compatible the TR6060 is to the Coyote.
I then heard that Tremec was in the near future offer an aftermarket tranny just for the Coyote, maybe this X-Mas.

As far as the wannabe German, Chinese made MT82, I guess it has been okay, but the damn thing engages too damn quickly. So quickly that to keep from putting torque impact stresses of the clutch engaging so fast, I was thinking of going with something else. I know my clutch is not going to last long, not the way I have to let it slip to engage the gears smoothly and reduce impact stresses on the drivetrain.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:53 AM
Falcon Fixer
2nd Gear Member

Anything would be better than the complete piece of JUNK that is in my 2011 GT
Old 10-16-2010, 04:00 PM
FWP!
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Falcon Fixer
Anything would be better than the complete piece of JUNK that is in my 2011 GT
Yea I really don't like mine. It fights me constantly. I have to sometimes FORCE it into first or reverse (unless I go from 2nd to 1st a few times), like if I'm trying to turn around quickly by doing a 3 point turn, I have to muscle it into reverse, back up, then muscle it into 1st. It just doesn't like going into any gear smoothly while at a stop unless I go 2nd-1st a few times to set up the gears (I thought this was something you had to do to cars up until the early 90's?) And 95% of the time it grinds going into 2nd, no matter what I do. The revs have to be perfect, how fast I move the shifter from 1st to 2nd has to be just right, and how much pressure I put on the shifter going into 2nd has to be just right, otherwise it's CCCHHHHHH.

I've heard of other people complaining about 3rd, mine will grind every time if I'm revving high and changing into 3rd quickly. More than a few times I've had the windows down getting onto an onramp, and I'll hear the sound of the GRIND going into 3rd echoing off the walls next to me. And I have the clutch fully depressed, I'm not power shifting, I'm god forbid just trying to shift at high rpm's.

My '05 Audi S4 6 speed (a real German Getrag) was LIGHTYEARS better, and it had 60k hard miles on it when I sold it.

Last edited by FWP!; 10-18-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-16-2010, 04:15 PM
Cusp
2nd Gear Member

I read that the 5.0 has the same bell housing and motor mount bolt pattern as the 4.6. Seems like I remember swapping in a 6060 behind the 4.6 as a doable Mod. So why not?
Old 10-16-2010, 11:50 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

For you other guys with the MT82 tranny behind your 5.0 Coyote, does your tranny engage damn fast at certain shifts?

For me, I have to ride and slip the clutch like crazy to get a smooth engagement in 1st gear, otherwise, if I do not let it slip, it engages way too damn fast. My car jolts, a bad thing on the u-joints, and no doubt, on the tranny, the crankshaft, the rear diff, and all.

The same is true for 1st to 2nd gear, although, not as hard of a jolt as engaging the clutch from a dead stop in 1st gear.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:47 AM
Falcon Fixer
2nd Gear Member

Mine does the gear grind going into 5th.
It will lock me out from getting ANY gear at times.
It will put me into 5th instead of third coming from second.

It was SO bad that after less than two weeks of putting up with it I went back to the dealer to buy my OLD CAR back.
I should NOT have let them talk me out of it.
Old 10-17-2010, 10:26 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Damn, your MT82 is way worse than I have ever heard. My MT82 at least does not lock me out of any gear, ever. And why would it lock you out of reverse? That is just plain stupid. The only time it should lock you out of reverse is if you are still rolling forward.

When you took it to the dealer, have they diagnosed the problem? I believe you MT82 problems are a justifiable reason to warranty it.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:04 PM
Falcon Fixer
2nd Gear Member

By lockout I mean that it will NOT let me shift smoothly into the gear I want to go into.
I have to FORCE and I do mean FORCE it into the gear I want.
Wether it is the shifter or the trans I dont know and dont care.
I want a good FIVE speed trans PEROID.
I can not stand even the concept of a six speed.
Someone comes out with a five speed that WORKS in these cars and it WILL be in MY car before my next fill up.
Old 10-17-2010, 08:26 PM
captcarb

It sounds like some of you might have the dragging clutch/loose pressure plate bolts syndrome. If you do, it will get worse.

Mine works very well although there was a little learning curve. It took me a few shifts to learn to let the centering springs do their job.

I love this 6-speed.

jim
Old 10-18-2010, 01:49 PM
wazslow

I have 0 problems with mine. It shifts like butter. Had it at the track this weekend and no problems at all.

Quick Reply: I Heard Tremec Will Make a 6 Speed for the Coyote