Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Brembo Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 03:32 PM
wantgt
1st Gear Member

Default Brembo Issue

So the 2 month old 5.0 has been in the shop 3 times to have brake squeal looked at. Each time the shop says that they cant replicate the issue and I am starting to get really frustrated. So today after lunch I started looking at the rotor and ran my finger from the bottom edge to the top edge. About half an inch from the bottom edge there is a very noticable lip that has formed around the entire rotor. I went to the passenger rotor and checked that one and it was smooth all the way around. Could this lip be the reason why my brakes squeal when braking/driving/acceleration?
Old 10-20-2010, 05:32 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Are you sure the front brakes are squealing? My rear passenger brake likes to make noise. Tried cleaning it with brake cleaner to no avail.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:09 PM
wantgt
1st Gear Member

I'm pretty sure that it is the front, and it doesn't squeal just under braking. Under slow acceleration as well as during normal cruising it makes so much noise. I actually looked at the rotor again after I got home and it is not a lip but rather a gouge all the way around my rotor. The brake guys near my house said it was normal for ceramic pads to gouge into the rotors. Doesnt make much sense to me but I guess they know.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:13 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wantgt
I'm pretty sure that it is the front, and it doesn't squeal just under braking. Under slow acceleration as well as during normal cruising it makes so much noise. I actually looked at the rotor again after I got home and it is not a lip but rather a gouge all the way around my rotor. The brake guys near my house said it was normal for ceramic pads to gouge into the rotors. Doesnt make much sense to me but I guess they know.
I dont care what anyone says..

"Under slow acceleration as well as during normal cruising it makes so much noise."

THAT is not OK.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:16 PM
wantgt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
I dont care what anyone says..

"Under slow acceleration as well as during normal cruising it makes so much noise."

THAT is not OK.
Yea thats what I try telling the dealership too, just because it didnt do it the one time you drove it doesnt mean there isnt a problem.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:34 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

So long as your breaks do not sound like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsPjL8SUAFc

Sorry, I could not resist.
I was actually tempted to link a Ned Beaty clip, but my better senses got to me

As for brake squeal, I noticed mine squeal in the morning, but it is really more of a squeak, and it goes away the more I drive.
I also noticed that on harder braking (not where the ABS kicks in), my steering wheel pulls to one side.
My car is more than a couple of months old, and I'm about to hit 3K miles (time for 1st oil change to get out the break-in shards). I wonder if I can have my dealer look at my brakes?
Old 10-20-2010, 08:08 PM
SpartaPerformance
4th Gear Member

If the rotor has a high spot it can make noise even without stepping on the brakes.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:28 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
So long as your breaks do not sound like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsPjL8SUAFc

Sorry, I could not resist.
I was actually tempted to link a Ned Beaty clip, but my better senses got to me

As for brake squeal, I noticed mine squeal in the morning, but it is really more of a squeak, and it goes away the more I drive.
I also noticed that on harder braking (not where the ABS kicks in), my steering wheel pulls to one side.
My car is more than a couple of months old, and I'm about to hit 3K miles (time for 1st oil change to get out the break-in shards). I wonder if I can have my dealer look at my brakes?

Your steering may be pulling to one side if you have wider tires. Especially if you have 275s or greater on the front. This is known as tram-lining and can't be helped. Caused by uneven pavement/dips where big rigs brake hard for stoplights/signs. Try braking on smooth level areas such as parking lots etc. and see if you get the same results. Don't get security after you though. LOL.

With Brembos and performance pads you are going to see/hear some brake squeal. Seems to be the nature of the BBKs, but the OP seems to have more at work here. I would try an independant brake/muffler shop for a second opinion.

Cheers.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:11 PM
thezfunk

Did you bed your brakes properly?
Old 10-20-2010, 11:38 PM
wantgt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by thezfunk
Did you bed your brakes properly?
yea I did, I just drove around my apartment complex at about 2mph and the squeaking was non stop, the more I listened the more it sounded like it was coming from the rear. The shield on the back of the rotor doesnt seem to be touching at all. Didnt have a jack to take the wheel off to check the pad to see if there was something stuck in there, but this is just really weird. I tried using my phone to record it but of course there was ****ty quality and nobody was around to listen to the noise to see if it was really the front or rear. The roads werent bumpy so I dont think it is a suspension thing specially since as soon as I tap the breaks it stops.