Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2011 5.0 Rough Manual Shift

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Falcon Fixer
2nd Gear Member

My trans SUCKS.
Before next summer it will be a lawn ornament.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:00 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

My MT82 will shift 1st to 2nd fine, if I ride the clutch and let the clutch slip. If I am not letting it slip, it will engage very fast (typical of a Ford clutch) and my car will begin to buck from the sudden engine torque jolting the drivetrain.

From 2nd to 3rd, I notice the same thing the OP experiences. I have to jam it into 3rd gear position pretty hard sometimes. Luckily, I have not gotten any grind from doing so, but it seem like it's hard to get into 3rd, as if I am not stepping on the clutch and I am locked out.

Since I have never heard of the MT82 before, it could be a 1st year growing pain. But I am seeing mixed problems all over the net. Some people have some problems, and my problems with mine are not 100% the same as other people with MT82's.

Ford should have just stuck with Tremec and asked them to upgrade the T3650 or put in a T56 into the 2011 GT's.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:06 PM
95PreludeSi
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mowenski
Hi,

I have noticed on occasion when shifting from 1st to 2nd a rough shift (like the syncro didn't do it's job) and this is at ~2000 rpm just loafing along. This seems to be most noticeable on the 1st shift when leaving the garage. Later, it is better and shifts normally (quiet) but still may 'clunk' some times but less often. I have about 4000 miles now and this issue has been around awhile. I took it to Ford and the technician claims it is normal and will get better as the clearances 'wear in'. Thoughts?
Yep, same here. Started around 4k, and I'm almost to 5k now. 1st to 2nd can be pretty bad. It gets better as it warms up, but isn't always perfect once up to temp. Strangest thing is it is buttery smooth for me if I'm at WOT and doing high RPM shifts.

I've considered a fluid changes as others mentioned, but the thing is brand new. I haven't taken it in yet, as I figure I'd get the same BS response as you did.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:08 AM
cold12pk

Originally Posted by cold12pk
My car has the "notchy" shifting when cold...this is normal. But I just started having a bad "grind" when shifting into 5th gear. Just 5th, all other shifts are ok.
Already had a scheduled dealer appointment for the sticking clutch TSB yesterday. They drove car after completing the work and could not replicate the 5th gear grinding. Picked up car and it shifted good for about 10 miles and then started grinding again. Definately not normal!
Back in the shop today...I will post back when I get an update.
I have alway's avoided the first year car / drivetrain buying, but couldn't resist this time. Hopefully it will get worked out.
Update on my 5th gear grinding. Shop was able to replicate the grinding issue and then contacted Ford...they were instructed to remove and repair the transmission. I was hoping they would just replace it with a new one. I'm sure they will eventually get it right.
This is my first major issue with a new car...frustrating!!!
Old 11-11-2010, 12:03 AM
lawman1
1st Gear Member

I have the bad first to second shift. Told by Ford mechanic that it is because of the skip shift feature. We should try to eliminate it and see what happens. I'm calling Brenspeed tomorrow to finally get that feature eliminated.

Last edited by lawman1; 11-11-2010 at 12:04 AM. Reason: typos
Old 11-12-2010, 11:31 AM
Rejeme

Question, if it is the clutch, why do the trannies feel notchy when rowing through the gears with the car off. Shouldn't it be buttery smooth. Try going through your gears with the car off. I think you can replicate the feeling a lot of people are getting. Sometimes its smooth, sometimes not. Just seems to be how the sychros line up. If your shifting with the car off and its smooth OR notchie, try rocking the car a little and try again. I bet it feels different. I think its just the way the tranny feels, not the clutch. However, I guess this is a different issue from those with bad pedal assemblies or sheared clutch alignment pins/backed out bolts Its notchie, just like every other performance car I've owned (90 GT 5.0, 95 5.0 GT, 05 SRT4).
Old 11-23-2010, 12:17 AM
Meester_Vapor
2nd Gear Member

Seems to be the most recent thread on the issue....so instead of starting my own.

It's been about 30 degrees here in the morning, and the shifts to 2nd, 3rd, and 4th have been unusually "toothy".

2nd will grind, 3rd and 4th are very rough.

Apparently the new Mustangs don't like the cold. Pony need a blanket?

Any updates from the people that have approached dealers yet? I have a dealer that I think will work with me, but sometimes knowing what to say before going in is best.
Old 11-23-2010, 05:37 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by lawman1
I have the bad first to second shift. Told by Ford mechanic that it is because of the skip shift feature. We should try to eliminate it and see what happens. I'm calling Brenspeed tomorrow to finally get that feature eliminated.
The car's adaptive learning will actually eventually allow you to shift into 2nd gear even under skipshift conditions. At least that is my thought. I now have no resistance whatsoever even in skipshift conditions.

However, I do notice resistance when shifting to 2nd and sometimes even third even when NOT in skipshift conditions.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:01 AM
mowenski

Cold Minnesota winter coming, putting the 5.0 in hibernation for the winter. 1st -> 2nd gear rough shifts are definitely more noticeable when outside temp is in the 20's but seem to improve as things 'warm up'. Let's keep an eye on this as a group and inform the service centers of this concern.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:48 AM
sugarprobe

The T6060 that was in my Challenger was crazy notchy when cold. This seems to be about half of what the RT was. Although I haven't put a 1000 kms on it yet and will be stored for winter I'm confident that it's due to it being a more robust trany compared to a less HO car like the V6 stang. The T6060 was noted in the owners manual that it would whine some in normal conditions and be stiff/notchy in cold and not to worry as this was do to the high performance aspect of it.

Quick Reply: 2011 5.0 Rough Manual Shift