Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Whats First?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 06:35 PM
baseball328

Default Whats First?

Alright i just bought a new 5.0 ive always been a chevy guy but after driving the new mustang it stole my heart but now that the new is kinda wearing off im looking for some new parts. What has shown the best response on these cars such as CAI's and tunes and things of that nature? Im wanting to change the mufflers but i just want a cat back system i really want something that has a nice deep tone but as little drone inside as i can get away with but mainly i am concerned with performance thanks guys for the help and if you have any other suggestions let me know im open for almost anything
Old 11-24-2010, 11:47 AM
RAMAIR

I personally like the Flowmaster Hushpower system both axle back or full cat back and that is what I will be getting soon.

As far as other mods the basics like CAI and tune make some really nice gains.

I have plans to do Long tube headers catted x-pipe and cat-back as well as CAI and tune.

Which ones you go with really just depend on what you want to pay or like. I have been doing some reading on this forum and others so I have good idea what I will be getting but who know I might change my mind as I learn more or other options become available.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:27 PM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Quality exhaust=MagnaFlow=NO DRONE
Old 11-24-2010, 06:34 PM
zilla8
1st Gear Member

Congrats on your new 5.0.

I just love my combo and IMHO it is the best sounding set up out there

I'm one of the few running the Magnaflow highflow cats with x-pipe and I'm within 15-18 hp of cars with longtubes,CAI and catback

I made 406rwhp/387rwtq with my current mods.Depending on exhaust your car will get real loud with longtubes and offroad X/H pipe

I've got what I feel is the best street set up with the Magnaflow comp series catback with catted X-pipe and Steeda CAI.

I have both Brenspeed and BlowByRacing 91 oct tunes and have awesome results with both.The BBR tune is perfect all around street/strip tune with the Brenspeed a little more aggresive and closer to a race tune.Here's a low quality vid in car with windows down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0Vfq_Qed8c
Old 11-24-2010, 07:48 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Gratz on your brand new ride Welcome to the side of light!

For your first mod, the very simplest and most effective bolt on would be a CAI kit and a tune to get it going. Further down as you get more $$$, and exhaust set-up with high flow cats and X pipes.
If VA does not have a sniff test, you can get catted long tube headers and still pass the visual inspections.

And then for more extensive mods, you can get a cam, more aggressive in opening and closing rates as well as with more lift. Depending on the lift, you might have to get phase limiters so your TiVCT does not advance and retard too far forward/backward to make the vales open into the pistons.

And of course, forced induction, either turbine or mechanical compressors (turbos or supercharger). And on top of that, you can throw in nitrous! With these more extensive FI mods, you'd be best ripping out the engine and rebuilding it with quality forged conrods and pistons, pistons with less than 10:1 CR so you can go with higher boosts.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:02 PM
Mikado463
2nd Gear Member

New member here as well and I plan on doing what JIM5.0 suggests as well.......

CAI and Tune, Flowmaster mufflers, Ford K Racing springs............drive it and enjoy it !!
Old 12-15-2010, 12:41 PM
zachcrosen
1st Gear Member

I just traded in my '08 GT for a '11 GT, 6 speed yesterday. I am thinking about a CAI, retune, 4.10s and some Flowmasters! Looking at AM, Brenspeed and some of the other vendors for parts for this car, the parts keep getting more and more expensive!
Old 12-20-2010, 01:02 PM
dSINtia

Check this out... totally opposite what everyone else is suggesting but if you want to notice true drivability improvements start with a short shifter and lower that thing. It will feel like a whole new car. CAI, exhaust and tunes are gonna happen but lots of people dismiss the impact a 20-40% reduction in throw can have on the way a vehicle feels and oh yeah... performs - not to mention a properly lowered 5.0 handles like crazy and all but elimnates heavy body roll. You can't go wrong with your setup... same as mine! Just my two cents. Congrats and good luck.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:49 PM
Joe in Dublin
2nd Gear Member

im very happy with the ford power pack. some dont think it gives you enough hp and the exhaust is too quiet. Im happy with the sound and gains