Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2011 Mustang 5.0 Intake Rating

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 05:02 PM
NoRegrets89

Default 2011 Mustang 5.0 Intake Rating

So who has the best Cold Air Intake for the new 2011 Mustang 5.0 manual. I was leaning towards the Steeda ProFlow Cold Air Intake and getting Dynotune with Diablo at GRC Performance in Mission Viejo CA.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:34 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I personally do not know. I wish I did, and I wish I knew the raw data about the CAI kits on the market.
Particularly, just how much CFM each one flows.
Then the net data, particularly, a dyno run with the CAI kit and associated tune.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:09 PM
zachcrosen
1st Gear Member

I called and talked to Chris Rose @ American Muscle yesterday and placed an order for an Airaid CAI from him as well as 4.10s and the Flowmaster Hushpower axle backs. Chris told me that as far as RWHP is concerned, all of the major CAIs were comparable in gains but the Airaid had a peak RWTQ of about 11 higher than the competition. He also told me that Steeda was not one of the better performing CAIs. Chris also said the Airaid CAI was of superior fitment and build quality plus it is $10 less than the JLT or about 40 less than the Steeda.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:09 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by zachcrosen
I called and talked to Chris Rose @ American Muscle yesterday and placed an order for an Airaid CAI from him as well as 4.10s and the Flowmaster Hushpower axle backs. Chris told me that as far as RWHP is concerned, all of the major CAIs were comparable in gains but the Airaid had a peak RWTQ of about 11 higher than the competition. He also told me that Steeda was not one of the better performing CAIs. Chris also said the Airaid CAI was of superior fitment and build quality plus it is $10 less than the JLT or about 40 less than the Steeda.
Interesting, there's plenty of independent evidence of how our cold air performs. Looks like Marcelo from Silverhorse isnt the only supporting vendor getting the cold shoulder from American Muscle. Seems like a trend from them lately with their vendors......
Old 12-23-2010, 06:01 PM
VistaBlue
2nd Gear Member

None of the cold air intakes on the market are drastically different, and the dyno results prove it. You'll get nearly the same horsepower from all of them, so it really comes down to the look/brand loyalty/price.

The only intake currently out that is a huge change from the norm, is the WMS intake. I haven't seen any first-hand testing of it, but American Muscle(I believe) stated they had tested it, just no results published yet.

You can't go wrong with any of them. They're all better than stock by miles, that's for sure.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:31 PM
Ingot2011GT

Very happy Steeda intake owner here-great quality and wow factor with my BBR tune. It also looks great when the hood is lifted and people take a gander at it and are very impressed.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:57 PM
CJStang50
1st Gear Member

I owned the Steeda. I loved it, awesome product, exceptional quality. The reason he pushed you towards the Airaid is probably b/c that's what they make the most money on. I am not impressed with the look, feel and overall quality of that product. And the amount of RWHP/RWTQ has more to do with the tune on the car, not the physical dynamic of the intake.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:08 AM
JimR1

Post Airaid CAI

The first mod I did to my 2011 GT was the Airaid CAI. They claim that it can be installed WITHOUT a tune. How is this possible do you ask...well they have (in my opinion) the largest diameter runner tube between the filter and the manifold but, have a removable sleeve that the mass air flow sensor fits in that mimics the stock air velocity (and volume). Now if you tune it and remove the sleeve the volume of air is much greater than the stock and most other CAI's thus more HP!
Old 01-14-2011, 05:01 PM
BiGMooS

AIRAID and Steeda are awesome products but how come no one mentioned C&L ? isnt that what american muscle used on their car ?

Joe
Old 01-14-2011, 05:12 PM
zachcrosen
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BiGMooS
AIRAID and Steeda are awesome products but how come no one mentioned C&L ? isnt that what american muscle used on their car ?

Joe
I was thinking that AM used the Airaid CAI but I may be wrong.

Quick Reply: 2011 Mustang 5.0 Intake Rating