Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Winter Storage

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 05:32 PM
RickyBobby
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangted
been storing my cars for years, i never start them from november to late april
Thanks Ted, I appreciate your feedback!!
Old 12-28-2010, 06:12 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Not starting the car for about 3 months won't hurt it.....I've done this in the past.....never had a problem.....might have to charge/jump the battery.
I was always to busy or stored my cars at my parents house but, if I had the time or convenience of the cars being close I would definitely start them up at least once a month to operating temp and drive around on the driveway.....keeps the mice away
Old 12-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

For mice (and it's listed in the many threads on winter storage), stuff steel wool in the exhaust pipe tips and in the air intake box opening. Just driving around the driveway or running the engine to operating temp without loading it up for more than a dozen miles or so is more harmful than just letting it sit for x # of months.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:50 PM
RickyBobby
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by daredevil95
Not starting the car for about 3 months won't hurt it.....I've done this in the past.....never had a problem.....might have to charge/jump the battery.
I was always to busy or stored my cars at my parents house but, if I had the time or convenience of the cars being close I would definitely start them up at least once a month to operating temp and drive around on the driveway.....keeps the mice away
hehe, can you imagine a mouse in the tailpipe!?!? that sumb!tch would be scrambling to get out!!!
Old 12-28-2010, 10:10 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
For mice (and it's listed in the many threads on winter storage), stuff steel wool in the exhaust pipe tips and in the air intake box opening. Just driving around the driveway or running the engine to operating temp without loading it up for more than a dozen miles or so is more harmful than just letting it sit for x # of months.
driving around the driveway will entice the mice to move! I would say there is nothing wrong with starting up the car once a month letting it run for a bit, maybe take a drive down your street or not starting it up and waiting for the spring.....either way the car will be on the road in the spring and ready for action. In my opinion......I miss my cars during those months and playing around with them on the driveway or my street won't hurt....keeps fluids moving. 3 more months.....I hope!!!
Old 12-29-2010, 12:32 PM
FWP!
2nd Gear Member

It's really not..
Old 12-29-2010, 01:35 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FWP!
It's really not..
It really is...

Quoted text from just one site (http://www.off-road-outdoors.com/Oil-breakdown.html) but echoed by many others:
"It is critical to operate an engine at normal operating temperature to prevent and burn off any water that is present by an evaporation process. The most severe type of driving an oil can be subjected to (as well as an engines internal components) is short drives and intermittent operation in which the engine and oil never have time to reach normal operating temperatures for an extended period of time."
Old 12-29-2010, 02:35 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

It really is...

Quoted text from just one site (http://www.off-road-outdoors.com/Oil-breakdown.html) but echoed by many others:
"It is critical to operate an engine at normal operating temperature to prevent and burn off any water that is present by an evaporation process. The most severe type of driving an oil can be subjected to (as well as an engines internal components) is short drives and intermittent operation in which the engine and oil never have time to reach normal operating temperatures for an extended period of time."
Seems like there can be a minor issue.....I've been doing it like this for years and never had a problem.....Best practice procedure would be to take it on a long drive. One thing I noticed on a C4 vette I had with the digital gauges that read oil temp.......after 5 minutes the oil got up to normal operating temp......add another 15 minutes of idling and driving in the driveway in theory it could meet the guidelines mentioned in the end of the above quote....?
Old 12-29-2010, 02:50 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I suppose recommending pushing it outside w/o starting it, sitting behind the wheel and making "VROOM! VROOM!" noises won't satisfy your itch? lol!
Old 12-29-2010, 04:04 PM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

I do.....

Quick Reply: Winter Storage