Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Winter Storage

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 02:57 PM
RickyBobby
1st Gear Member

Default Winter Storage

I won't be driving my Mustang regularly until spring. (now if we get a 50 degree \ dry day, i'll drive it) My question is this, should I start it up and let it idle for a bit or is it better just to let it sit if I'm not going to 'drive' it.

TIA
Old 12-27-2010, 04:22 PM
hand-filer

It's not a good idea to start it unless you plan on driving it and long enough for it to reach operating temperature.
Otherwise you are introducing moisture in the crank case and cylinders.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:54 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Starting it without getting it up to operating temps UNDER LOAD for a decent amount of time is more harmful than just letting it sit running every so often since you're only circulating the moisture and not burning it off. This leads to acids which the oil now has to combat. If you'll be driving it every 3-4 weeks, then don't do anything but monitor the battery. A fresh oil change IF you're near your change frequency...

There's tons of info on winter storage here. Use the search feature.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:27 PM
RickyBobby
1st Gear Member

@Hand-filer - thanks for the quick response, I appreciate it.

@Nuke - if it's that much of a bother, why respond.. sorry to take 20 seconds of your time.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:59 PM
RickyBobby
1st Gear Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by thezfunk
The manual says to start it and let it run to get up to temp once every 15 days. Also, something about moving it at least 25ft for lubrication.
zfunk, I never even thought about RTFM!! I'll have a look, thanks for the reply!
Old 12-27-2010, 06:00 PM
thezfunk

The manual says to start it and let it run to get up to temp once every 15 days. Also, something about moving it at least 25ft for lubrication.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:08 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RickyBobby
...@Nuke - if it's that much of a bother, why respond.. sorry to take 20 seconds of your time.
Sorry if the info I provided didn't suit you but since i've had training in oil analysis, I at least listen to myself.

The only reason I suggested the search feature is that there are a lot of different ways of going about winterizing depending on what your conditions are, how long it'll be in storage, WHERE it'll be in storage, etc... It's not THAT black and white. I wasn't being aloof or rude.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:50 PM
RickyBobby
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Sorry if the info I provided didn't suit you but since i've had training in oil analysis, I at least listen to myself.

The only reason I suggested the search feature is that there are a lot of different ways of going about winterizing depending on what your conditions are, how long it'll be in storage, WHERE it'll be in storage, etc... It's not THAT black and white. I wasn't being aloof or rude.
The first part of your answer was fine and very informative. It's the 'use the search'' comment that chaps my ***.. This is a forum, where people engage in conversations, not a wiki.. sorry, i'm grumpy cause I can't drive my toy...
Old 12-27-2010, 06:59 PM
HBOMB44

I plug mine in for 3 hours and then fire it up and let it idle for 20 minutes once a month or so. I'll be getting the oil changed as soon as I can in the spring. Can't leave the garage as it's typically -20 to -40 all winter and there is a ton of snow.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:23 PM
mustangted
1st Gear Member

been storing my cars for years, i never start them from november to late april

Quick Reply: Winter Storage