Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Rear Wheel hop in my new 5.0 Brembo with 3.73's

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 10:03 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by daredevil95
Wheel hop will ensure that!!
Ain't that the truth! When it first happens, the Coyote makes the whole car shudder, like 10 kids jumping up and down on the hood and roof! Not a pleasant experience, and will scare the S*** out of you if you are startled when it hits.

Originally Posted by grnbayfan
thanks. its taking me some time getting used to hearing the tires screaming since im coming from car with less than half the power so its hard to avoid not slamming the gas to the floor. i have noticed that even barely pressing the gas pedal puts me in the seat back. anyone else notice at night the gauge colors dont seem bright enough to see?
Oh yeah! When I first bought mine, I had to learn to just touch the gas pedal with a tiny dash of a step. Coming out of a 120 HP weenie car, that was at first hard for me to do because to accelerate in a 4 banger, I was so used to flooring it just to accelerate at the same speed as everyone else.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:47 PM
grnbayfan
2nd Gear Member

what car did you have before?
Old 01-22-2011, 01:08 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I was driving a Toyota Rav, lol, and it wasn't even mine! It was my parents, but they needed it back, so I gave it back to them.
Glad I manned up and finally did, because if I didn't, I would not be in the ranks of 'Stang owners!
Old 01-22-2011, 01:48 PM
grnbayfan
2nd Gear Member

wow. i have a civic so its not too bad. although i do like how the 5.0 is a lot higher off the ground. dont have to worry about pulling in to parking spaces anymore.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:37 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

The tires on the brembo package get rock hard in cold weather. Hard tires like to hop. Wait till it gets 60 F or so outside.. the hop will go away.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:48 PM
grnbayfan
2nd Gear Member

tell me about cold, never thought of that though.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:15 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by grnbayfan
tell me about cold, never thought of that though.
The tires are only rated to 40 degrees. In fact, Pirelli's warranty states that they will not cover damage to the tire if it resulted from prolonged driving below 45 degrees; there is an increased risk of severe tire damage with road hazzards (potholes) if you strike one while its below that temp.

I've noticed they do warm up a little after a few miles on the highway.. I also found out today.. that no matter how thin the snow is.. if the ground is white.. you will have Zero control.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:23 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Interesting and good info there. I never thought about that. All I know is tires lose pressure in the cold (the air molecules lose heat energy, which is kinetic energy, which is what causes pressure), but as you drive on them, the rolling friction warms up the tires, and the heat energy is transferred to the air inside to bring the tires back to proper air pressure. This is why in certain cases in the cold, your TPS will light up but go away after a few minutes of driving.

As for the Pirelli tire material becoming rock hard from the cold, I did not know that. And as such, I will take care to drive carefully on them in really cold weather.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:33 PM
grnbayfan
2nd Gear Member

it has barely been above freezing the past 2 days here, not normal at all here.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:34 PM
grnbayfan
2nd Gear Member

funny though i do have these exact same tires on my fwd civic and they handle good in the snow . never had any cold weather related issues, same size as well.

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel hop in my new 5.0 Brembo with 3.73's