Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Syncro Whine???

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 09:00 PM
AKElroy
1st Gear Member

Default Syncro Whine???

My 2011 GT has 1800 miles, and for the last 600+ it has developed a whine from 1,2 & 3rd gear syncros. It is not loud, and sounds like a really quiet straight cut hewland box. It shifts crisp & clean. Am I hurting this box by driving it until it becomes more pronounced? Is this normal?
Old 01-19-2011, 01:39 PM
big red one

Mines at 500 miles and ive noticed the same sound recently, i like it!, i hope its nothing to worry about
Old 01-19-2011, 11:12 PM
Kixsters
2nd Gear Member

Is it like a supercharger whine? NICE ! LOL JK

But seriously... i think mine has it to and i dont really mind... Or should i?
Old 01-19-2011, 11:17 PM
AKElroy
1st Gear Member

If it did it from the first drive I would not be concerned. Since it only presented after 1,000 miles, I am a little worried. I am driving it like a rented mule, so whatever is going to happen is going to happen pretty quick.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:29 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

I get a slight whine in my first gear, but mine works okay.

Of course, as I always gripe about my gear box, I do get occasional rough shifts. But the rough shifting is not correlative to the whine I get.

If your gear whine becomes much more audible, then take it in.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:11 AM
Maverick302
1st Gear Member

I noticed the same thing in my GT/CS, though I'm closer to 3K miles. I probably first noticed the sound right at 2k miles. I too hope it isn't anything to be concerned about. So far the transmission has been shifting great with the exception of really cold mornings.

Regards,
Old 01-25-2011, 09:41 AM
DarkhelmetRT
1st Gear Member

Synchros don't really whine. once they are locked into gear, they are in. A whine could be cause by gear wear, thin or low lube, improper backlash adjustment, or a bunch of other things that can happen then two metal surfaces are meshing together.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:50 PM
WTFchuck
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Maverick302
I noticed the same thing in my GT/CS, though I'm closer to 3K miles. I probably first noticed the sound right at 2k miles. I too hope it isn't anything to be concerned about. So far the transmission has been shifting great with the exception of really cold mornings.

Regards,
bout the same time i noticed mine. i couldnt figure out for the life of me where the noise was comin from. i ended up pullin on my shifter to see if the noise became louder while in gear and it did so its something with the tranny/shifter area. asked a friend who has had mustangs for his whole life damn near and he said its nothin to be worried about
Old 05-19-2012, 08:30 AM
AKElroy
1st Gear Member

Old thread, but new update. The gear whine got progressively worse, so I finally had the dealer look into it. All bearings, input and output shafts and numerous other parts all needed to be replaced. the new parts now come with a new low-friction coating, so Ford obviously knows this is a common issue and addressed it with later production.

All is resolved now, quiet as a church. All under warranty.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:42 AM
danman0469
2nd Gear Member

Mine does this in 4th gear and 4th gear only. Done it since day one. Sounds just like a supercharger. Should i take it in?

Quick Reply: Syncro Whine???