Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Sold 2010 SS and thinking bout mustang - help

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 10:12 PM
TX77496

Default Sold 2010 SS and thinking bout mustang - help

Sold my 2010 SS with 15 k in motor work and 430 rwhp, guy had to have it. Bought a 2010 4dr 4x4 F-150, has 5500 miles on it and i am bored!! Dont know much about the mustangs or options they come with or how they compare with the 2010 Camaro.

Performance - What auto car fastest from factory - i hear 5.0 is a little faster

Mileage - what can i expect from auto- im hoping 25 + on highway at 70 (if i can drive that speed!) truck gets about 15

Comfort - Thinking the mustang little better due to, lower dash, taller windows.

Resale - i dont keep anything long, is it my imagination or does the mustang lose 10k in value when u drive it off of lot, i am seeing them for 26k with less than 10k miles

Sunroof - dont see mustang on internet that has one

Anyone that has had both driven both give me your opinions.

Havent looked at any in houston where i live but here is one i saw on internet that i really like

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GT-Pr...item5adc9c260c

Price on dealer website says $34,999 is that a good deal, does it appear to have most options except for NAV

Sorry for the long post. Just trying to make a quick decision
Old 02-20-2011, 11:35 PM
TX77496

Guess what i really dont understand are how the packages work, some have some wheels i dont care for, smaller spoiler, different seats, different grills. Most i have looked at said GT Premium but is there a differnt package or something that gives you the grey wheels, bigger spoiler, diffenent grill and seats that dont have white stripe down them (are these the more expensive ones or cheaper ones) I really just need to get to dealership but want to know all about them before i get there
Old 02-21-2011, 12:00 AM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TX77496
Guess what i really dont understand are how the packages work, some have some wheels i dont care for, smaller spoiler, different seats, different grills. Most i have looked at said GT Premium but is there a differnt package or something that gives you the grey wheels, bigger spoiler, diffenent grill and seats that dont have white stripe down them (are these the more expensive ones or cheaper ones) I really just need to get to dealership but want to know all about them before i get there
Ok....go to Ford and build a Mustang. As you would expect it has every option and explains everything. A frustrating thing with Ford is you have to option your car in packages....you end up buying crap you don't want to get the one item you wanted. A great example is the base 300a Mustang....you can't order the Shaker 1000 stereo in this trim, you have to upgrade to the premium trim in order to buy this stereo. Otherwise the Mustang is a great car and you will be happy with your decision. It's a Pony/Muscle car....the same as a Camaro SS. I attached the Ford web site.

http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/

Last edited by daredevil95; 02-21-2011 at 12:03 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:22 AM
TX77496

Originally Posted by daredevil95
Ok....go to Ford and build a Mustang. As you would expect it has every option and explains everything. A frustrating thing with Ford is you have to option your car in packages....you end up buying crap you don't want to get the one item you wanted. A great example is the base 300a Mustang....you can't order the Shaker 1000 stereo in this trim, you have to upgrade to the premium trim in order to buy this stereo. Otherwise the Mustang is a great car and you will be happy with your decision. It's a Pony/Muscle car....the same as a Camaro SS. I attached the Ford web site.

http://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/
Thanks got it figured out now, want the 402a package!
Old 02-21-2011, 12:49 AM
daredevil95
4th Gear Member

Cool....do you plan on modifying? 15K into modding a Mustang will get you way more power then 430RWHP.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:17 AM
TX77496

Originally Posted by daredevil95
Cool....do you plan on modifying? 15K into modding a Mustang will get you way more power then 430RWHP.
Prob just exhaust, tune, and cai.

Prob no cam, heads, intake, headers exhaust, and all the other stuff that was on camaro.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:18 AM
4LiterSonic
2nd Gear Member

Prob just exhaust, tune, and cai.

Prob no cam, heads, intake, headers exhaust, and all the other stuff that was on camaro.
Even that short list of mods will probably put you at or above 430 RWHP. Ford underrated these cars pretty bad, and they actually make more than 412 at the flywheel.

Combine that with the fact that the Mustang is a good 400 pounds lighter than the Camaro and you've got a great car for the price.

The 2011 Mustang won the best projected resale value from KBB this past year.

You'll be able to sell it if you want to.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:35 AM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

That package is sweet. We really enjoy the uniqueness of ours being the only one that is seen on a regular basis in the local area.

I will say several have referred to it as a "California Shelby" which I just chuckle at as they are usually bragging to someone about how much they know about Mustangs.

I also like the question so many have as to what engine is in it. No 5.0 displayed on the outside at all. That has caught a few of guard at stop lights.....lol

Good luck getting the car and enjoy.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:30 AM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

I would look around for a GT500 also...A few relatively cheap mods and got some serious power...
Old 02-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Dnet

Sold my 2010 SS with 15 k in motor work and 430 rwhp, guy had to have it. Bought a 2010 4dr 4x4 F-150, has 5500 miles on it and i am bored!! Dont know much about the mustangs or options they come with or how they compare with the 2010 Camaro.

Performance - What auto car fastest from factory - i hear 5.0 is a little faster

Mileage - what can i expect from auto- im hoping 25 + on highway at 70 (if i can drive that speed!) truck gets about 15

Comfort - Thinking the mustang little better due to, lower dash, taller windows.

Resale - i dont keep anything long, is it my imagination or does the mustang lose 10k in value when u drive it off of lot, i am seeing them for 26k with less than 10k miles

Sunroof - dont see mustang on internet that has one

Anyone that has had both driven both give me your opinions.

Havent looked at any in houston where i live but here is one i saw on internet that i really like

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GT-Pr...item5adc9c260c

Price on dealer website says $34,999 is that a good deal, does it appear to have most options except for NAV

Sorry for the long post. Just trying to make a quick decision
I just came from a 2010 SS myself and would definitely say the 2011 GT is a better car, imo. Maybe it was first year car issues, but the build quality on my SS wasn't up to my standards at all. Mustang has the SS beat on build quality hands down. Keep in mind this is the first Mustang I have ever had and that was the 6th Camaro - always been Chevrolet guy.

That being said, they are two completely different driving experiences. The Camaro feels big, brutal and burly where the Mustang feels much more light and agile. I much prefer light and agile.....Interior is way better on Mustang again, imo, save for the door panels which I feel Ford could do better there. They are good quality, just not much in the way of style. Love pretty much everything else about the interior. I have the Shaker 500 with Navigation touchscreen and all the neato stuff, way better than the BA system in the SS.

A huge plus for me is that with the GT, I have no rattles or buzzes, no wind noise, no squeaky bushings and no booming from the front suspension when I hit a bump - the main reasons I got rid of the SS.

I have the manual instead of the auto (on the SS too) so I can't offer anything on the auto although the stock auto GT is actually quite a bit faster than the stock L99 in the SS, at least in quarter mile times I have seen.

The engines can't really be compared as they are two completely different beasts. I loved the LS3 in my SS and can't say a single bad thing about it except that if GM would ever do VVT and DOHC on an engine of that caliber, it would be utterly amazing. What Ford has done with the 5.0 in the GT is, imo, just that - utterly amazing. It's hard to describe how the engine performs, you just have to drive one. The way it pushes you back in the seat and the way it pulls to 7k is just something you have to feel - it is an experience you won't soon forget. It is unlike any engine I have ever flogged - it is really that good. And it makes driving this car fun every day - I can't wait to drive it every day - something the SS lost in the first couple of months for me as the quirks reared their heads.

As for mods, bolt-ons are bolt-ons and I think the GT will get you a little more than the SS did from straight bolt-ons. When it comes to internal engine modification, common sense dictates that it will be much cheaper and probably easier to do with the LS3. The LS platform is pretty much untouchable in that category - no one comes close to the bang for your buck when you start internal mods. The VVT and DOHC is going to make it more expensive and tedious with the 5.0, but will probably make big gains as well.

As far as resale value, I think we may have to wait and see. I have the same concerns as you in this area as I rarely keep a car longer than a year or two. So far, you would certainly have to say the Camaro is better in that category - you can't really argue with the going rates - they are what they are. Whether or not the 2011 GT will pick up or retain more later is something I don't think anyone knows yet. I may have to keep this GT longer than I anticipated, lol. I paid sticker for the SS at $37,xxxk and traded it in 13 months later and got $30k for it. I paid $37,xxxk for the GT that stickered at $39,8xxk and, as it looks now, I won't be able to get $30k for it trade-in 13 months down the road. But I got half the interest rate on the GT and lower payments to boot so it is ok I guess. The Camaro had just hit the showroom when I bought it so I got boned on it.

In short, Ford got my money because they simply made what is, imo, a much better and much more fun car. I don't regret it - the car is outstanding.

Last edited by Dnet; 02-21-2011 at 01:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Sold 2010 SS and thinking bout mustang - help