Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Jalopnik Reports Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 03:27 PM
jmatero
1st Gear Member

Exclamation Jalopnik Reports Transmission Issues

Jalopnik's front page story:

http://jalopnik.com/#!5792482/faulty...w-ford-mustang

Old 04-15-2011, 08:15 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

i loled that they thought it was an exclusive, we have all known about this for a long time. everyoen feel free to jump in the comments and rip up that m3 douche posting about how crappy the mustang is.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:20 PM
dan_h
1st Gear Member

Is this a 2012 problem or only 2011??

tkx
d
Old 04-15-2011, 08:48 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

one of the best pics ive seen of a Kona Blue .... even has the Brembo package and glass roof.. That's my car! LOL. Back on topic.. it was bound to happen. This transmission sucks bigtime. I ordered this car with everything I wanted. I did this so I would have no regrets. Well.. despite the awesomeness of this car, ive seriously considered trading it in for a black CS auto. Since I paid $17,000 for this car after my trade in... it would be an option.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:00 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan_h
Is this a 2012 problem or only 2011??

tkx
d
i dont know, i beleive the tranny is the sme in the 12 as the 11, the boss tranny is a bit different IIRC
Old 04-17-2011, 01:28 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

A rumor I heard on another 'Stang website (I stress rumor because the members did not even cite their sources) that the '12 MT82 problems are supposedly meant to be addressed by using some '12 Boss 302 parts.

I have no inkling whatsoever about just how true these claims are, but one of the things this guy said are using Boss 302 tranny mounts. I have no clue how that is supposed to help the situation really.
My only guess is that the Boss mounts hold the MT82 in proper position better such that the remote shifter assembly does not come too far out of position to allow missed gears and grinding.

Also, the design of the tranny can become a concern because of the design safety factor is very small or even negative. A Ford engine design engineer is reported to have admitted that the MT82 is designed only to take 380 or so ft-lbf torque at the crank and the Coyote already rated at 390ft-lbf crank from the factory.
I know, Getrag has never formally published this spec anywhere, but when an actual Ford engine engineer says this and he has had a part in designing the Coyote, this to me is enough of a reliable information source.

Most of us will not exceed this non-existent engineering safety factor, so long as we keep our cars relatively stock. But for those modding our cars, this safety factor becomes and issue. A professional modder ruined his MT82 only with NA mods
Old 04-17-2011, 06:40 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by ShaneM
i loled that they thought it was an exclusive, we have all known about this for a long time. everyoen feel free to jump in the comments and rip up that m3 douche posting about how crappy the mustang is.
Well let me indulge then.
First of, let's not talk about the reliability of the BMWs nowadays, lol.

But then, we all know that most M3 owner have small peters and raisin's size ballz.
Be disappointing if they were otherwise.
Actually, those guys are mad that a GT (with Brembo package) can do what the 3 does with half the price.
Engine wise the Stang whoop the beemer and only loose in cornering ability but not by much.
Add Konis to the Mustang and you solved that. B-Bye, M3.
So buy a $30K car and spend about $700 in shocks and you can rip a new one to an overpriced $60K one.
And you'll do it with style.
Men, I love crappy cars!!

How's that Shane??
Old 04-17-2011, 08:27 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
A rumor I heard on another 'Stang website (I stress rumor because the members did not even cite their sources) that the '12 MT82 problems are supposedly meant to be addressed by using some '12 Boss 302 parts.

I have no inkling whatsoever about just how true these claims are, but one of the things this guy said are using Boss 302 tranny mounts. I have no clue how that is supposed to help the situation really.
My only guess is that the Boss mounts hold the MT82 in proper position better such that the remote shifter assembly does not come too far out of position to allow missed gears and grinding.

Also, the design of the tranny can become a concern because of the design safety factor is very small or even negative. A Ford engine design engineer is reported to have admitted that the MT82 is designed only to take 380 or so ft-lbf torque at the crank and the Coyote already rated at 390ft-lbf crank from the factory.
I know, Getrag has never formally published this spec anywhere, but when an actual Ford engine engineer says this and he has had a part in designing the Coyote, this to me is enough of a reliable information source.

Most of us will not exceed this non-existent engineering safety factor, so long as we keep our cars relatively stock. But for those modding our cars, this safety factor becomes and issue. A professional modder ruined his MT82 only with NA mods

Stiffer mounts would make sense if the issue is related to the mushy stock mounts letting the tranny get out of whack from torque. this is what is wrong with the 5-speed in 10 down cars with more power and to some extent with stock power. the tranny moves so much at WOT it gets out of alignment with the shifter making for crunch and grinding and very hard 2-3 shifts in particular. the issue in my 10 was somewhat fixed with the MGW shifter and the kmemeber support with torque limiters. it only got worse with more power in my 10.

if the 5.0 tranny is moving so much that the constant crunching of gears is breaking things mounting it so it didn't move as much would seem likely to help to me.

PAscal, that sounds good i guess if a car costing half as much as mine was wopping its **** id be mad too.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:03 PM
JAJ
2nd Gear Member

The BMW E92 M3 (the V8 one) has enough movement in the drivetrain that it's easy to shift from third to second instead of fourth on a full throttle upshift. It felt weird enough that I never actually let the clutch up, but I did hit the wrong gear more than once. I've been driving manuals for forty years, and because it didn't feel right I went back to neutral and started over without doing any damage.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:13 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by ShaneM
... i guess if a car costing half as much as mine was wopping its **** id be mad too.
Wouldn't be mad for long though, cause I'd be buying that half a cost car. lol.

Quick Reply: Jalopnik Reports Transmission Issues