Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Steeda vs Airaid vs JLT - which cold air is best?? Look here

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 05:24 PM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

So 389.95 before tax for 11-14 hp....Yeah I'll pass on that one & apply my 400.00 to another area of the car that would reap better benefits. Thanks Gus for the info!

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
This subject has been covered to death on the forums. If you dont think the 11 to 14hp the cold air is worth over the stock airbox is worth it by now, nothing I say now will change anything.

A good tune will be worth 20 to 30hp on its own depending on fuel octane, weather conditions, etc.... The rest will come from the cold air upgrade.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:04 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

you aren't going to find better bang for the buck except maybe n2o. all the mods on the '11+ are expensive. $1500 for headers that get you 20hp. 500 for a midpipe about 10hp also, 500 for boss intake that doesn't raise peak but gives you 30hp from like 6800-7800 rpm, and a little loss down low. driveshaft might get you 10whp for 600. or a blower for 7,000. getting you 150-200hp.

you add up all of the bolt ons out now and you are looking at a total of 60-70hp(including tune) gain over stock and spending about 3800. so a supercharger makes more sense. But I can't afford one right now, especially if I blew up my engine i'd be in trouble. but having somewhere around 430-440whp in these cars with just bolt-ons isn't too shabby. the 3 valve needed heads/cams and every little bit squeezed out to hit 400whp, and their weight is close.

Last edited by Mishri; 05-26-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

Yeah but the CAI will not shave off 2 tenths from your E.Ts like a mid pipe or D/S will..Im looking for mods that are cost effective towards reduction of E.T...So Im thinking the tune by itself & the midpipe are 1st best mods unless someone can show me time slips to point otherwise. Then the D/S & suspension work after that. After that you are completely right, it gets expensive. On the upside though. The D/S, suspension work & mid pipe will be mods still useable towards the S/C applications where as the CAI will not be. The tune will have to be redone naturally.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:20 AM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

I'm totally impressed with my steeda intake and steeda tune. together with my bassani x-pipe and my roush axle backs this car is an animal. The other day i saw a guy with a 2012 2ss camaro on a crowded 2 lane road. I could hear he had an exhaust on it. he had it lowered it looked awesome. 1st I pulled up behind him so as to show him the menacing front end our stangs have. then i pulled i along side and the sound my car drowned out the sound of his. It was kind of funny. Anyway the road was to crowded to run each other so we decided to show each other what we had. This happened the same day i installed my steeda tune and intake. We went back and fourth showing what had and it was clear he was slower then me, so much so i felt bad for him...However it was fun toying around with each other.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:00 AM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by dominant1
I'm totally impressed with my steeda intake and steeda tune. together with my bassani x-pipe and my roush axle backs this car is an animal. The other day i saw a guy with a 2012 2ss camaro on a crowded 2 lane road. I could hear he had an exhaust on it. he had it lowered it looked awesome. 1st I pulled up behind him so as to show him the menacing front end our stangs have. then i pulled i along side and the sound my car drowned out the sound of his. It was kind of funny. Anyway the road was to crowded to run each other so we decided to show each other what we had. This happened the same day i installed my steeda tune and intake. We went back and fourth showing what had and it was clear he was slower then me, so much so i felt bad for him...However it was fun toying around with each other.
Glad to see another satisfied customer!
Old 04-12-2012, 11:46 AM
SSKILLER5.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
No, this is not a "STEEDA is the best" thread. So read on for some really good info!

A few months ago there was a similar thread which I believe got deleted cause I could not find it anymore. Myself and a few others questioned the results of that thread, as it showed one of the intakes with tuning to make less power in the midrange than a stock car which is not true, it also showed one of the intakes making a ton of low end power over the others which was also incorrect.

We knew from our own data for this to be incorrect. Our argument was that these intakes are all close and you really can't go wrong with any one of them. But for the data to be valid for presentation we needed to do pulls on the same car, same day, same dyno. Our data at the time was scattered and not from the same cars, days, etc. Only from the same dyno.

So a few weeks ago we finally got the intakes together for our own shootout, same car, same day, same dyno, etc......

The tunes for this test were setup so timing and fuel were completely stable & consistent, so the differences between just the cold air systems themselves would be revealed. We did not have a stock intake for this car to test, so we baselined the Steeda system with tuning, then swapped each intake, modified the tune to accomodate each intake and made another pull.

So did our shootout back up what we were saying all along???

Yes, it did. As you can see, you really can't go wrong with any of these intake systems. They all make comparable levels of horsepower and torque across the entire RPM range.

As we had argued in the past, due to its size the JLT trades off a little bit of low end torque, however to the average user this difference would not be perceptible. Any of these intakes given the same tuning will essentially feel and perform about the same. I am sure some of the JLT's torque loss down low could be minimized with further tuning, but that was not the intent for this test and would have skewed the results. We wanted to show what the intakes themselves will do compared to each other.

So the conclusion? Choose your cold air intake based on your personal preference, because from a performance standpoint, you will not be disappointed by any of the ones in this thread.
Man I will tell you as a consumer this is why you guys are the best. Everyone that is on here from steeda is always willing to help and provide unbiased opinions and help to any thread..kudos to you guys for posting this; this is how you win customers..trust..
Old 04-12-2012, 12:04 PM
MoshpitMad
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SSKILLER5.0
always willing to help and provide unbiased opinions and help to any thread..kudos to you guys for posting this; this is how you win customers..trust..
Truth.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:03 AM
MoshpitMad
3rd Gear Member

Bumping this up. Seems to be a lot of questions lately on tunes and CAI's.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:42 PM
UofHmustang
2nd Gear Member

All that info is great, but what about a run with a K&N drop-in and tune? You can't really definitively say the issue of CAI/tune or noCAI/tune is put to rest until some stats are posted for that setup. Seems no one wants to test that theory. Marketing tactic maybe? I don't mean to come off as crass, but if Steeda has the time to run those three on the dyno, they have the time to run what I suggested.

Last edited by UofHmustang; 07-12-2012 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:05 PM
SteedaBrandon
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by UofHmustang
All that info is great, but what about a run with a K&N drop-in and tune? You can't really definitively say the issue of CAI/tune or noCAI/tune is put to rest until some stats are posted for that setup. Seems no one wants to test that theory. Marketing tactic maybe? I don't mean to come off as crass, but if Steeda has the time to run those three on the dyno, they have the time to run what I suggested.
Might want to take a look at this: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...lter-test.html

Quick Reply: Steeda vs Airaid vs JLT - which cold air is best?? Look here