Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Downshift into 4th

Old 06-08-2011, 07:16 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Default Downshift into 4th

Like to get opinions regarding downshifting into 4th gear.

I have 3.73 gears and was wondering what the "safe zone" was for downshifting from 5th or 6th to 4th gear.

I currently only downshift into 4th at 40mph or below.

At what approximate speed greater than 40mph can I downshift into 4th without breaking something?
Old 06-08-2011, 07:28 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Considering you can take 3rd gear over 100mph, I'm going to say it's safe to go from 5th into 4th at any speed.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:39 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Depends on what speed you'll be putting the engine at . Ideally you want to downshift to the RPM where you have the most power. If you're down-shifting between 1000-0 RPM below redline, you probably need to select the next highest gear.

Just don't down-shift to a gear that puts you past redline! Having a rev limiter will not prevent the engine over-revving due to the transmission forcing the over-rev. If you do that, then congrats because you just money-shifted your mustang .
Old 06-08-2011, 08:12 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by siggyfreud
Depends on what speed you'll be putting the engine at . Ideally you want to downshift to the RPM where you have the most power. If you're down-shifting between 1000-0 RPM below redline, you probably need to select the next highest gear.

Just don't down-shift to a gear that puts you past redline! Having a rev limiter will not prevent the engine over-revving due to the transmission forcing the over-rev. If you do that, then congrats because you just money-shifted your mustang .
Thanks for the info! I'll pay a little more attention to my speed and RPM in 4th and use that info.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:50 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Just play around with it and get to know the car more . Soon you'll get to "know" where each gear's sweet spot is and gear selection upon downshift will become natural. Like you said, just drive 4th gear up towards rev line and get a feel for what mph you're at for the given RPM.

The downshift will depend on what you're doing as well. If I'm going for a pass, I aim my caddy for the 4.5-5k rpm area on a downshift, as that's where I feel it pulls strongest.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:30 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

I have 3.73s as well and if I'm braking hard or I just want to take off, I'll often downshift into 2nd at 40mph. The key is to match the revs to keep it smooth. Even 2nd at 40mph isn't close to redline. 2nd gear is my favorite gear on this car.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:46 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Messed around this morning.. and I don't know why I even asked this question

Basically, if I downshift into 4th at 65-70, it puts me at around 4000 rpm.

I think I was a little tentative because, a few months after I bought the car, I was messing around with a friend and his 05 GT. We were on the highway and going about 40mph and he took off. I was in 5th and needed to downshift to catch up with him. When I shifted into what I thought was 4th, the tires locked up a little.. and got me worried.

I bet I accidentally shifted into second.. and that's why the tires locked up. I just didn't want to do that on a regular basis.. although I did catch up to him very quickly

Downshifting into 4th from 60-70mph is very smooth.. so I think I'll stay with 4th when playing around. I'll try 3rd... but I'm thinking this would put me around 2-3 grand from redline.

Thanks again for replying to my newb question
Old 06-09-2011, 04:06 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

I do this all the time...
I mean down shifting two gears when I need to pass quickly for the most part or catch up with someone, lol.
With a 6spd tranny it's almost a "must do".

With any car or bike I own, I make sure to know what's my red zone speed in 3rd for a 5spd tranny or 4th with a 6spd.
That way, you know what the last call his if you need to gun it.
That refers to what Siggy said about learning your car's drive train behavior...
I will admit that on my bike it's so much fun to do, with a kick in the *** to boot!

FWIW, I also do up shift two gears when I get on an Interstate on-ramp, for example.
I get up to the speed limit in 3rd and shift right into 5th or 6th and cruise on from here.
The idea is to extend the drive train longevity basically.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:45 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal

FWIW, I also do up shift two gears when I get on an Interstate on-ramp, for example.
I get up to the speed limit in 3rd and shift right into 5th or 6th and cruise on from here.
The idea is to extend the drive train longevity basically.
I do this too. I'll blast in 3rd gear up to about 65mph when getting on the highway then I up-shift into 6th and drive like a Grandma.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:09 PM
Gidyupp
1st Gear Member

2nd is good to 60-ish, 3rd to 90. Havn't seen the top of 4th (yet).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Downshift into 4th