Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

5.0 typical WHP gains with supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 03:17 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Default 5.0 typical WHP gains with supercharger?

What are the typical gains with a supercharger on the 5.0?

I read a lot of 600hp here, 550 hp there but never really heard of anyone running those set ups (Roush, Whipple FRPP).

In the market for a new ride in the future, and haven't really considered a 5.0 until recently thinking about it again...

Not looking to do a ton of bolt ons, just basics;

Blower
high stall torque converter
trans cooler
lower control arms
axle backs

thought about pulling the 4.6, forging it and upping the boost to 15 psi but then I'll have to also go built auto trans which isn't cheap, and I still won't run 10s like a 5.0 Supercharged lulz
Old 06-21-2011, 06:06 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

oooooooooooooooo....scary.......
I found you in another thread to say the same thing......

Get a GT500!
Do a few mods and see MORE power!
Remember what you would tell me about just going ahead and going F.I. for more power? I'm telling you to go big forged engine for more power promise and CHEAPER mod promise!
Plus you get to be one of the few, the proud, the Snake owners!

I'm in your head now... way back there... where you can't get my voice out.
LOL!

(Note to 5.0 guys. Don't get mad at me. I love the new 5.0. It's a great car and I'm not talking against it in any way)
Old 06-21-2011, 05:32 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

You thinking about it to huh Stealth. I was looking at FI for my GT. Would be $8-10G to do it right. Then forged block down the line is another $5G. May as well sell my current car and spend an additional $12G and get a 5.0
Old 06-21-2011, 09:28 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke

Get a GT500!
Remember what you would tell me about just going ahead and going F.I. for more power? I'm telling you to go big forged engine for more power promise and CHEAPER mod promise!

LOL!

(Note to 5.0 guys. Don't get mad at me. I love the new 5.0. It's a great car and I'm not talking against it in any way)
Heck, just wait until they come out with a stroked version of the Coyote and it begins to pushing towards 331ci; imagine what all that head technology, forced induction, TiVCT will do for it!

As a matter of fact, I bet the 5.4L out of the GT500 can really make a push towards 700 HP if it had TiVCT and better head design. Though the stroke would sacrifice the top engine redline as compared to the 5.0 Coyote, the torque gains across the entire RPM bandwidth would totally rule.

But the coyote can really see some nice power gains with switching out the stock pistons and conrods with forged pistons, true forged conrods, and maybe a drop in the geometric CR some to exploit higher boosts.
Professional modders who have rebuilt their Coyotes with true forged internals and slapped on forced induction for boosts well into the teens PSI are getting 9's at the drag strip. You have to be making some really sick power to do that.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:30 AM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Never enough eh Stealth? lol I'll consider a 5.0 when the redesigned stang is coming out. I figure they'll be giving them away at that point, and the aftermarket will have had a few years to work things out...

Last edited by Mudflap; 06-22-2011 at 12:32 AM.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:49 AM
stealth_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blacksmoke

Get a GT500!

LOL!

lol those were the days.. funny how things turn out, eh?

Thinking over an M90 or Paxton and you went ahead and got a GT500!

I have seriously considered an older GT500,but up north, they are so hard to come by! The ones that do have them, keep them.. the ones that sell them are just too far

Pretty much looking for the base model 5.0 and throw a blower on it.. call it a day.. oh, and some other mods lol

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
You thinking about it to huh Stealth. I was looking at FI for my GT. Would be $8-10G to do it right. Then forged block down the line is another $5G. May as well sell my current car and spend an additional $12G and get a 5.0
err.. I got my V3 for about $5,195 and it kicks major ***! You don't need $8-10k but it's good for insurance.

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Heck, just wait until they come out with a stroked version of the Coyote and it begins to pushing towards 331ci; imagine what all that head technology, forced induction, TiVCT will do for it!

As a matter of fact, I bet the 5.4L out of the GT500 can really make a push towards 700 HP if it had TiVCT and better head design. Though the stroke would sacrifice the top engine redline as compared to the 5.0 Coyote, the torque gains across the entire RPM bandwidth would totally rule.

But the coyote can really see some nice power gains with switching out the stock pistons and conrods with forged pistons, true forged conrods, and maybe a drop in the geometric CR some to exploit higher boosts.
Professional modders who have rebuilt their Coyotes with true forged internals and slapped on forced induction for boosts well into the teens PSI are getting 9's at the drag strip. You have to be making some really sick power to do that.

That would be an insane set up indeed.. but if I were to build something up, it would have to be the new Hemi (eh?!).. yup.. forge/stroke the 5.7 into a 6.4, supercharge it, reinforce the drivetrain and make 650+whp all day long!

Yeah, it's a fat bastard but that's why like it.. gobs of torque and a tank to back it up! (it should be called a tank, tipping the scales at 5k lbs. by that point rofl)

If I were to go with the 5.0, I want simply power, simple bolt ons, supercharged and running 90 octane (it's all we get). I could build up my 4.6.. but then I'll have to build up the trans. I'll be pretty much bullet proof (almost) but at that point, I'd be nervous about driving it rofl

Originally Posted by Mudflap
Never enough eh Stealth? lol I'll consider a 5.0 when the redesigned stang is coming out. I figure they'll be giving them away at that point, and the aftermarket will have had a few years to work things out...
You can say that again.. no supercharger yet for you??

I got the intercooler and it kicks *** w/10 psi..

they are redesigning the body again?!
Old 06-22-2011, 04:52 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by stealth_GT
err.. I got my V3 for about $5,195 and it kicks major ***! You don't need $8-10k but it's good for insurance.
Yeah, you may have paid ~$5G for just that system, I would get either the Whipple or KB which cost around $6.5G. I would also be paying for installation, dyno tuning, a wide band and some gauges, and a 3.73 gear swap.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

You can say that again.. no supercharger yet for you??

I got the intercooler and it kicks *** w/10 psi..

Well no, I don't have a Mustang anymore remember? lol I traded it for a MINI Cooper S turbo thats a fun car to drive and has been getting 34 mpg, which is nice. It was in the shop yesterday for 4 hours though, getting the thermostat replaced at 2900 miles. So much for "BMW quality", lol. I'll ditch that thing in 18-24 months probably (before the warranty is out) and will consider a new 5.0 at that time as a possibility...
Old 06-22-2011, 06:41 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Oh yeah, and it is happening at around 2014.
The Coyote will be in one of the trim levels, but there are rumors that the GT will no longer mount a V8. but only a V6.

Some speculations by fellow MFers are:
Base model (non GT, non GT500/Cobra, non Boss): V6, possibly direct injection, no forced induction
GT: V6 (maybe the 3.7L?) with forced induction, possibly with direct injection
Boss trim (if it is still a trim level to be offered in 2014): Coyote V8, possibly direct injected, no forced induction.
Top Trim (Shelby GT500? or will the Cobra name be resurrected?): Coyote V8, supercharged with true forged internals, balanced crank for the heavier rods, possibly direct injected.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:41 PM
ShaneM
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Oh yeah, and it is happening at around 2014.
The Coyote will be in one of the trim levels, but there are rumors that the GT will no longer mount a V8. but only a V6.

Some speculations by fellow MFers are:
Base model (non GT, non GT500/Cobra, non Boss): V6, possibly direct injection, no forced induction
GT: V6 (maybe the 3.7L?) with forced induction, possibly with direct injection
Boss trim (if it is still a trim level to be offered in 2014): Coyote V8, possibly direct injected, no forced induction.
Top Trim (Shelby GT500? or will the Cobra name be resurrected?): Coyote V8, supercharged with true forged internals, balanced crank for the heavier rods, possibly direct injected.
the boss has been rumored all along to be a 2 year production only. 12 and 13 models so that would jibe with the 14 redesign and no boss. FWIW expect the ecoboost to turn up in something. I don't think a gt without a v8 option will fly. i suspect with all the hubub around the GT and the 5.0 for so many years we will keep that.

I honestly think we are more likely to see the cobra comeback since Shelby is stepping out of the car business. think ecoboost 5.0 in the cobra, and Maybe a boosted V6 as an alternative choice in the GT. that would make for a hard buying choice right there, 5.0 or TT v6. i suspect the TT V6 would respond more cheaply to mods as easy as dialing up the boost. the SHO can take lots more boost than it runs, one ford engineer told me they had tested to 22psi with no problems. i want to say the SHO runs 8psi, someone correct me if that is wrong.

Quick Reply: 5.0 typical WHP gains with supercharger?