Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

TSB 11-07-07 Piston Failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 12:36 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

yeah, look at those new challengers, i remember reading a thread or 2 about people on stock power levels with drag radials breaking half-shafts. I wonder if they got warrantied or not? i never followed that. the broken input shafts on the camaros, has anyone followed those? minimal mods and breaking stuff on other cars is common, with mustangs we can usually expect to push a ton more power so this is new to us
Old 07-03-2011, 01:57 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by parchisi
Maybe you think Ford is the worst because people like us only pay attention to Ford. I'm pretty sure most car companies treat warranty work the same way.
I guess you are right on that one. Toyota has sure seen more than it's share of that spotlight. I just hated looking at the trouble shooting flow chart. I read it as trying to put the blame and cost on someone else. I just have a very hard time with two causes to create the very same condition. Like I said before I am a Ford man from way back and hope to for many years to come. In my opinion they have the best stuff out there. I just hate to see them blame a CAI / tuner for a major engine failure. Enough that a TSB is issued. They KNOW they have a problem by looking at the stupid flow chart. To me it just adds up to a known mechanical design flaw. Just my thoughts though. I still love my 'Stang though. I do not want to come across as Ford bashing, which I am afraid that it does. I just feel as though part of my "family" is not treating another part right.

Last edited by mapitts; 07-03-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:13 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

I hear you mapitts. Honestly I feel like something should be done better with regard to regulating warranty work of dealerships. It feels as if you have to prove something is wrong when you walk in, rather than them working with you as a partner. I've worked with computer companies on warranty work my whole life and they are always so much more willing to work with you on actually getting it fixed, rather than trying to make you feel like it's all your fault. If a car company came along that actually pulled off an extremely good service department with good cars, I think they would become popular instantly.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Ive been reading about this BS, all I can say I'm glad I kept my 06. Until these issue's are worked out I will not purchase a stang with this motor
Old 07-03-2011, 04:49 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

To be honest the motor is getting more heat than it seems to deserve IMO. Most of the issues coming up are encountered far and few between. Most of us 5.0 owners are happy campers . Especially me since I don't have an manual trans. lol
Old 07-03-2011, 05:21 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

There's nothing wrong with the 5.0. Everybody is getting all up in arms about nothing. The TSB is regarding aggressive aftermarket tunes causing a lean condition in #8. Ford has the right to be suspicious, especially with engine problems since all these #8 issues have been the result of aftermarket modifications. You can't modify your car, tweak it, and then expect Ford to come to your rescue when things break as a direct result. If you want Ford to cover anything that breaks within the warranty period....DON'T MOD.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Sleeper5.0
1st Gear Member

]yeah, look at those new challengers, i remember reading a thread or 2 about people on stock power levels with drag radials breaking half-shafts
What? A Chrysler product that has a drive-train problem??? That's a real shocker.... Only everyone of them I have been around had some kinda drive drain issue.. Except my Jeep Grand Cherokee.. It was crap from the torque converter back.. Engine ran real good though That was the end of my Chrysler Dodge owning days.. Never again...
That dang land barge(Challenger) is so big they should install full floating axles on the thing..

I love this new Mustang.. Even though there are countless people who have had success with a tune being installed.. I think I will still wait a while and see what happens.. It's not like the car is slow without the tune..:

Last edited by Sleeper5.0; 07-03-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:33 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sleeper5.0
..... It's not like the car is slow without the tune..:
It's just that it's noticeably quicker WITH a custom tune.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:18 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
It's just that it's noticeably quicker WITH a custom tune.
Which is nutz for this already super fast stock car. I'll have to find someone with a tuned auto 5.0 so I can do a ride along.

Last edited by Bmr4life; 07-03-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:34 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by parchisi
There's nothing wrong with the 5.0. Everybody is getting all up in arms about nothing. The TSB is regarding aggressive aftermarket tunes causing a lean condition in #8. Ford has the right to be suspicious, especially with engine problems since all these #8 issues have been the result of aftermarket modifications. You can't modify your car, tweak it, and then expect Ford to come to your rescue when things break as a direct result. If you want Ford to cover anything that breaks within the warranty period....DON'T MOD.
You need to READ the TSB again. They are even saying an axle back exhaust is included in the list of known causes of #8 failures as well as clutch and oil pump failures. How in the world they draw a straight line between those is stupid crazy. How about the fact that they are having ( according to their own stupid flow chart ) the same failures with out any mods? Pdonket is exactly right when he said that you now walk into a dealership guilty unless proven otherwise. I also read it as Ford wants to force you to by only their performance add ons.

Quick Reply: TSB 11-07-07 Piston Failure