Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

TSB 11-07-07 Piston Failure

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 12:27 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Taskiss
Not according to the TSB I've read. "mods found that explain failure" was what I read, or an indication that the system was flashed after a problem, one or the other, before they void a warranty. I wasn't reading more into it than it said, so others may have read something different.
an axle back can't possibily cause an issue
it doesn't even add power unless your S/C and pushing a ton of air through the pipes and even then you'd need to have the headers and mid pipe upgraded too to even get some power from an axle back
Old 07-06-2011, 12:32 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by parchisi
Established technologies, yes, but still a new engine with different characteristics than the 4.6, and it is the first Mustang engine with Ti-VCT. And "why now?" Now because Ford is getting a rash of piston failures with the 5.0 due to crappy tunes so they put out a TSB...seems obvious. True, they didn't have as many issues with previous engines with similar technology, but none of those were pushing over 412 hp NA, and even more with the tune.
Here's another example...the Boss @ 444 HP. Ford slapped a plenum and tune on it that exceeded 412HP. So it's apparent that 412 isn't the limit for this motor. Ford is modding the motor itself and turning it into a production vehicle.

Now I understand if you nitrous, or supercharge and shove the pistons out of the bottom of the block that this is a gross violation of your warranty, what I don't understand is implying that a proper CAI and tune, and or catback would exceed the engineered limits of the Coyote when Ford went and did the same thing with the Boss. Kind of a double standard don't you think?

I'm not disagreeing with you that simple mods can be challenged by the dealership. This has been happening for the longest time that I can remember. I still think the timing and details of the message are suspect. It does seem to me that they are looking for excuses not to cover this piston failure.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Ford_Dude
5th Gear Member

well the Boss 302 also has better pistons

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=12865
Forged aluminum pistons and upgraded sinter-forged connecting rods for improved strength
compair that to this http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=11829

the Boss 302 has better pistons and connecting rods than the normal 5.0
so ya ford is moding it but when they do they upgrade the rotating assembly (the crank is already forged on the 5.0 but the 5.0 has lesser pistons and connecting rods)
Old 07-06-2011, 12:44 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for pointing that out Ford Dude.

I see the flowchart also indicates that they still must prove that the mods caused the damage.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:32 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Thrashard340
Here's another example...the Boss @ 444 HP. Ford slapped a plenum and tune on it that exceeded 412HP. So it's apparent that 412 isn't the limit for this motor. Ford is modding the motor itself and turning it into a production vehicle.

Now I understand if you nitrous, or supercharge and shove the pistons out of the bottom of the block that this is a gross violation of your warranty, what I don't understand is implying that a proper CAI and tune, and or catback would exceed the engineered limits of the Coyote when Ford went and did the same thing with the Boss. Kind of a double standard don't you think?

I'm not disagreeing with you that simple mods can be challenged by the dealership. This has been happening for the longest time that I can remember. I still think the timing and details of the message are suspect. It does seem to me that they are looking for excuses not to cover this piston failure.
Ford can warranty the Boss because it has their own modifications and tune, backed up by their own extensive testing and know how. They can guarantee their own work. Ford can't be responsible for any random tuner out there with tuning software who's just messing with tables and parameters.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:34 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

I just must be crazy then. When I read the list of modifications that could possibly cause a #8 piston failure, among other things that are also coming apart, I came across one listed as "air intake system, air box, air filter, zip tube". When they said air filter I started jumping to the conclusion that they were talking about an air filter. I also guess that extensive engineering went into designing the "Boss" as well. When it all boils down to it I have a '10.........thank God.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:55 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mapitts
I just must be crazy then. When I read the list of modifications that could possibly cause a #8 piston failure, among other things that are also coming apart, I came across one listed as "air intake system, air box, air filter, zip tube". When they said air filter I started jumping to the conclusion that they were talking about an air filter. I also guess that extensive engineering went into designing the "Boss" as well. When it all boils down to it I have a '10.........thank God.
Don't start that.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
Don't start that.

Why not?........it's perfectly reasonable and I'm the same way with my 06. I wouldn't touch a new 5.0 with a 10' pole right now especially not at the prices they want for them.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

There is a report that someone with an FRPP warrantied cai+tuner also had the #8 failure, although i haven't seen a post directly from that person. so take it for what thats worth.

but if that is true that further shows that it could be a defect, and not just what they think the factory engine can handle..

and again, there are people running mid 10's with over 600whp w/o any problems so it's not like the pistons are known as a weak link. the Boss pistons are virtually the same, which is the part that is breaking, i forgot what part about the psiton is different, but it isn't hte part that is breaking.

The 2011+ are vastly superior, this is only an issue experienced by a tiny minority. I had a 2007, the upgrade is huge. with bolt ons you are as fast as a supercharged 2005-2010, a 2011 with f/i it takes a built engine/tranny to keep up, and a big blower.

Last edited by Mishri; 07-06-2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Taskiss

No, you refuse to accept the simple answer. That's ok though, reality doesn't need your acceptance. Change the way the engine does it's thing and it's your responsibility. That's the reality.

Ford even drew a picture for those who still can't understand.
In the end the LAW takes presence over anything for draws pictures of or states. The Mag Moss act clearly states that it must be PROVEN the mod caused the damage to the part that was damaged. According to that law, Ford must PROVE whatever mod was done, was in fact the cause of the damage. NOT simply changing the way the engine does it's thing.
If you have an aftermarket tune though, or any other aftermarket part, and they cannot prove THAT is what caused the failure, by law Ford MUST honor the warranty.

What ford says means SQUAT if you decide to fight it.
What you are saying is NOT the reality of it. The truth of the matter is you refuse to accept the real simple answer.
What the law says, THAT sir... is the REALITY.

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 07-06-2011 at 10:08 PM.

Quick Reply: TSB 11-07-07 Piston Failure