Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

2011 gt Auto

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Slayer7391

Default 2011 gt Auto

I have a concern with the auto in my car. I've taken it to the dealer a couple of time, and they tell its normal on these cars. What happens is when you are slowing down almost to a stop and the trans down shifts from second to first you can feel the shift like thump. If you accelerate at the point of the shift there is a void until it completes the shift.
Has anyone with an auto felt this, and if so has the dealer found a solution.

I bought an intake an tuner form steeda, and install the set this weekend thinking the programming of the computer would fix it, and the thump noise is actually worse. Now it makes a loud clunk noise, and it doesnt do it all of the time.

Could this be the torque converter shaft or maybe a part in the trans thats not working correctly.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:20 PM
Spanx

When I almost come to a complete stop and then press the gas it will shift somewhat hard into first but there is no noise. I have not noticed it since they replaced my transmission but I will try it out tomorrow and see if it is still doing it.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:41 PM
Texastboneking

Originally Posted by Slayer7391
I have a concern with the auto in my car. I've taken it to the dealer a couple of time, and they tell its normal on these cars. What happens is when you are slowing down almost to a stop and the trans down shifts from second to first you can feel the shift like thump. If you accelerate at the point of the shift there is a void until it completes the shift.
Has anyone with an auto felt this, and if so has the dealer found a solution.

I bought an intake an tuner form steeda, and install the set this weekend thinking the programming of the computer would fix it, and the thump noise is actually worse. Now it makes a loud clunk noise, and it doesnt do it all of the time.

Could this be the torque converter shaft or maybe a part in the trans thats not working correctly.
I work at a Ford Dealership.
I have only seen this problem on one mustang. from what i was able to tell is it had a lot to do with the temperature of the car and the outside temperature. during a 104 degree day we got the car hot and it started doing this. did some test driving and decided to let it cool off. while it was cooling it was time for an oil change so we went ahead and changed it. went back out for some test driving and could not get it to act up again! it was wierd. the conclusion that my boss came up with for now until we see more with the problem was that the lady driving the car went 2000 miles past her 5000 mile oil change period. and the vvt in these new cars are ran off oil pressure. boss thinks that the thinner oil might have been playing with the vvt causing the transmission to shift differently. now this probably isnt the problem but its all we could come up with with the little info we had. and just a note. with the vvt being ran off oil pressure. its not a good idea to change viscosities. doing so might cause the vvt to engage too early or too late and could cause problems. and don't miss oil change dates
Old 07-12-2011, 11:53 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

I have the auto trans and can safely say it's not normal...I do agree that I can feel the downshift from 2nd to 1st, but not in a really abrupt way or anything noisy, i can just feel it let the car move a little easier, less engine braking going on.

I'd take it to another dealer until someone solves or at least looks into your problem. Nothing special going on with my trans, no upgraded trans fluid or anything like that, just as it came from the factory.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:51 AM
Sleeper5.0
1st Gear Member

I have noticed mine shifts weird slowing down and almost coming to a stop... Kinda like it doesn't know what gear to go in... Update if the tune solves the issue...