Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Changing over to Synthetic Oil in the 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 07:08 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by darksky1984
The car comes stock with synthetic oil and the owner's manual tells you to put synthetic oil in the car.
Originally Posted by Bmr4life
Not a true synthetic, just a blended dino oil synthetic.
This is so true. When I did a research of Motorcraft oils, NON, absolutely non of their "synthetic" oils are true synthetics. I call them "fake" synthetics because Motorcraft oils are still same old dino (what they call "mineral") oils, with a blend of synthetic mixed in.

AMSOil, Royal Purple, Mobile 1 are the true synthetics I tan think of. I am sure there are more, but I cannot recall which they are.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:17 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
This is so true. When I did a research of Motorcraft oils, NON, absolutely non of their "synthetic" oils are true synthetics. I call them "fake" synthetics because Motorcraft oils are still same old dino (what they call "mineral") oils, with a blend of synthetic mixed in.

AMSOil, Royal Purple, Mobile 1 are the true synthetics I tan think of. I am sure there are more, but I cannot recall which they are.
Only Mobil1 Extended Performance is a TRUE synthetic. Regular Mobil1 Synthetic is a blend.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:22 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Good to know, thanks for the clarification. I was actually considering going Mobile one, but I was not sure which was the true synth. Thus I opted for RP instead.
I am close to another oil change, another 3000 miles and I think my RP will need to changed out. I might give Mobile! Extended Performance a shot since that was what I was considering at first.

I think I will also take a sample of my used RP analyzed to see just how much life it could have had if I kept it in the engine longer. I have heard of people running on RP to 15K miles before it needed to be changed.

Speaking of oil analysis, I have no clue how to get that done. How does one go about doing that? And does it matter if the oil is true synth vs dino or blend?
Old 07-14-2011, 07:23 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

I ran the motorcraft blend for about 5000 miles, then swapped it to Amsoil 5w-20 and that's what I have in there now. Next time I change I'm going with Pennzoil Ultra. Far cheaper than Amsoil, and because I drive like most average drivers, they'll perform and protect the same. I'd run 10,000 mile changes on either of them and feel safe.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:27 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

I ran 15k oil changes with Mobil1 EP.

Bobhas a lot of oil analysis info. Blackstone labs is one company that does it.

Last edited by Bmr4life; 07-14-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:31 AM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
Really? Why does the GT500 fuel cap say full synthetic? Not saying you are not telling the truth. Just would be frustrated at Ford if this is true.
How can they do that and recommend Motorcraft for the Fords if they do not have a full synthetic due to the GT500?

From the manual:

Maintenance and Specifications
ENGINE OIL RECOMMENDATION
Use Motorcraft SAE 5W-50 full synthetic or an equivalent SAE 5W-50 full
synthetic oil meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C931-B.
Do not use supplemental engine oil additives, cleaners or other engine

Last edited by Blacksmoke; 07-15-2011 at 01:34 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:22 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

There's continuous debates over the definition of "full synthetic". Motorcraft full synthetic, like many other "full synthetics" is a highly refined or hydrocracked oil that exhibits a lot of favorable qualities over normal oils. On the other hand, there's a belief that true synthetics should be restricted to PAO IV base oils, which is only represented by select lines, Mobil 1 EP, Red Line, Royal Purp, Ams, etc.

Both will do an excellent job protecting your engine though, so even the motorcraft full synthetic isn't really a bad oil at all. Just not the very best, but of course who wouldn't expect that.

Point is that a legal battle established the category for advertising full synthetic, and some agree while others dont.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:39 AM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cbaty08
A friend of mine told me I should wait a little bit before converting over to full synthetic.. anyone understand the reasoning?
Because some old-timer told someone to do it and that thought has persisted to this day.

Many many performance cars come from the factory with synthetic. Run it from the get go I say. Unless your engine manufacturer says otherwise .
Old 07-18-2011, 09:29 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Back to the OP's question on performance gains...

... you'll see more dyno variance in the dyno from pull to pull than you would from changes due to the type of oil.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:48 AM
eightdogsbarkin
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bmr4life
Only Mobil1 Extended Performance is a TRUE synthetic. Regular Mobil1 Synthetic is a blend.
Very interesting. Where did you find that data?

Quick Reply: Changing over to Synthetic Oil in the 5.0