Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Automatic transmision

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 11:25 AM
joenmina1

I have an auto and use the Bama 91 race tune! The difference from stock is night and day. I have to remember that especially when my tires are cold
I have tracked the car as well and the acceleration is extremely responsive coming out of hairpin curves.
I would have got the MT but my wife isn't super comfortable with MT and we have CA traffic to deal with. Overall, I am super happy with my choice!
Old 08-06-2011, 12:38 PM
AMChrisRose
3rd Gear Member

The automatics are plenty durable. We've had ours down the track and on the dyno hundreds of times. We've beat up our car like crazy testing different parts, tunes, etc. I would have no worries about these new A6's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGw4zou6Nws
Old 08-06-2011, 04:59 PM
Templar
3rd Gear Member

Cool vid, good to hear the Auto trannies are up to the task!
Old 08-07-2011, 09:48 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

The 6R80 is a serious gearbox. I don't know what crank torque the 6R80 is rated for, but it can take the punishment of modded dragstrlp cars running 10's and faster. A true testament of the durability of Made in America, a gearbox capable of taking whatever professional modders can throw at it. Well worth the additional $1000 if you ask me
Old 08-12-2011, 01:50 PM
rufast?

Originally Posted by pdonket
I have run Brenspeed tunes in mine and it's just a massive difference. Whether you go AM or Brenspeed or Lund or anything like that, the difference is massive. You realize when you tune the 5.0 Auto trans that the shift speed of the transmission isn't bad, it's the fact that the thing is programmed to shift like a granny, stock.
I agree. I'm running the Brenspeed 93 Race tune and it is like night and day from the factory tune. The first to second shift comes early and sharply. In fact, you have to take care in accelerating when turning from a stop (example turning right or left from a stop sign or light). For example, if you were to accelerate the same as you might with the factory tune, with the Brenspeed tune you might find yourself shifting into second very sharply mid-turn; resulting in a bit of a tire chirp and and unexpected sideways "re-adjustment". Straight-on acceleration is very impressive from a stop, with snappy shifts reinforced by tire chirps going into 2nd and 3rd. I have not had my car dynoed, but my seat-of-the-pants indicator is consistent with the claimed 30+ h.p. gains claimed with these tunes. The crisp shifts makes it even more impressive.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Templar
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rufast?
I agree. I'm running the Brenspeed 93 Race tune and it is like night and day from the factory tune. The first to second shift comes early and sharply. In fact, you have to take care in accelerating when turning from a stop (example turning right or left from a stop sign or light). For example, if you were to accelerate the same as you might with the factory tune, with the Brenspeed tune you might find yourself shifting into second very sharply mid-turn; resulting in a bit of a tire chirp and and unexpected sideways "re-adjustment". Straight-on acceleration is very impressive from a stop, with snappy shifts reinforced by tire chirps going into 2nd and 3rd. I have not had my car dynoed, but my seat-of-the-pants indicator is consistent with the claimed 30+ h.p. gains claimed with these tunes. The crisp shifts makes it even more impressive.
Cool, that's the stuff I want to hear!
Old 08-18-2011, 03:19 PM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

I want to do a American Muscle BAMA tune. But what's up with this 8 cylinder failure thing? Should I worry? I think I just want to go with a 91 street or performance tune.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:47 PM
siggyfreud
5th Gear Member

I think American Muscle is actually warrantying their tunes again the Cylinder 8 failure . . .
Old 08-19-2011, 07:16 AM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

Not think, are. There is an express written warranty against #8 failures with Bama Tunes (American Muscle). If Ford diagnoses the tune as the cause of the failure (and that's about the only cause there is right now), AM will pay for the engine replacement and labor, I think up to $7k. I might be wrong on the number.

Frankly, a top notch PR move by AM. They may lose some money on it, but reputations are worth a lot of money.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:56 AM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

That's awesome. I'm def gonna get the tune.