Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Stock 5.0 dyno, then added mods.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 07:14 AM
dg98gt
2nd Gear Member

Cool Stock 5.0 dyno, then added mods.

Well, I finally got 2500 miles on my completely stock at that point 5.0, so I changed the oil and headed to the dyno. We couldn't dyno in 5th gear because of the factory speed limiter, so we made the pulls in 4th gear. I have a M6 with 3.31's for now.

She put down 370rwhp and 355rwtq.....about the norm I guess. I was a little concerned about the dip towards the end of the graph, but I think it is the throttle body partially closing like some others have found on the stock tune??? I would post the graph, but I left it at home, and I'm out of town until Friday.

Anyway, right after I got home, I put on my JLT oil separators (both sides), JLT grabber blue painted CAI, BBR tune from my SF3, and Roush Axle-backs, "Powered by Ford" Blue coil covers.

Impressions:

JLT oil separators are awesome and so easy to install. Definitely a great mod! Looks fantastic. Since I had the PCV hoses off, it was convenient to change out the coil covers. I think I may sell these and paint my factory ones grabber blue since I have the grabber blue painted JLT CAI. Speaking of, coil covers install great of course.

JLT CAI....Fit was perfect. The only issue was my fault. I tried using the factory screws instead of the supplied bolts, and I stripped the nuts out for the MAF mounts. Not a problem some gorilla blue didn't fix!

BBR 93 Tune on the SF3. First, I downloaded the stock tune and saved that on my laptop, then installed the BBR tune. It took about 10-15 minutes, and everything was easy to do......just followed the menus. Car definitely has more throttle response and power. I can feel it especially below 5,000rpm, but I am hoping to make it back to the dyno this weekend to see what she puts down throughout the curve.

Roush Axle-Backs......install was very easy, and mufflers and tips look great! I love the sound of my 98 much much more though. My '98 has FMS shorty headers, MAC prochamber, and MAC cat-back.....nice deep, throaty sound with absolutely no "raspy" or "bubble" or "poppy" sounds. I listened to a hundred youtube videos and had it narrowed down to the Roush or Borla S. I picked Roush based on cost. It sounds too raspy and gurgles too much for me. I've had lots of compliments already, but I personally don't care for the sound. Maybe i'll get used to it, but if not, are there any suggestions?? I definitely love the fact that there is "ZERO" drone. Idle sounds good, but a little too "poppy" for me. Cruising sounds great. WOT is too obnoxious.

I will be adding 3.73's soon, then maybe the BOSS intake manifold.

-Derrick
Old 08-16-2011, 09:34 AM
tightdogal
5th Gear Member

How much of a difference do you feel in power compared to stock? Is it pretty drastic or does it feel minor? Those are the same exact mods I want on my GT whenever I get some extra dough.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:37 AM
dg98gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by tightdogal
How much of a difference do you feel in power compared to stock? Is it pretty drastic or does it feel minor? Those are the same exact mods I want on my GT whenever I get some extra dough.
It definitely feels stronger. I hope to dyno this weekend to verify. Top end doesn't seem to be much different, but below 5,000rpm is noticeable. My other car is a 570rwhp vortech '98, so by comparison, this car is still kinda slow....lol
Old 08-16-2011, 09:38 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

So install on Axle-backs was easy? I read that it was a pita and difficult to do w/o a lift. I believe some suspension is in the way. Did you have any issues with needing to pull parts of the suspension while someone else pulled out the stock muffler?

The s197 even with 600whp will probably still feel slower than your '98. Quite a few factors in it, from the interior and suspension to the large hood. You just dont get the same sensation of momentum.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:25 AM
Templar
3rd Gear Member

Keep us posted, looking forward to hearing your dyno results.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:32 PM
Blacksmoke
The Paranoid One

Originally Posted by Mishri
So install on Axle-backs was easy? I read that it was a pita and difficult to do w/o a lift. I believe some suspension is in the way. Did you have any issues with needing to pull parts of the suspension while someone else pulled out the stock muffler?

The s197 even with 600whp will probably still feel slower than your '98. Quite a few factors in it, from the interior and suspension to the large hood. You just dont get the same sensation of momentum.
Axle back just replaces the muffler and tips.
Are you sure you are not thinking of cat back?
Old 08-17-2011, 06:45 AM
dg98gt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri

I just jacked up the rear of the car. I used some silicon spray lube in the rubber hangers, and it was a little muscle to get the stock mufflers out of the hangers, but I didn't have to remove any suspension components. Once the factory mufflers where out, I did remove the hangers and attach them to the new mufflers, then bolted them back up to the car......just seemed easier that way to me.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:49 PM
dg98gt
2nd Gear Member

Got her dynoed today again, but now with the mods!

So to recap. Before: 370rwhp, 354rwtq

Added, JLT CAI, Roush axle-backs, and BBR 93 tune!

After: 402rwhp, 377rwtq

Gain 32rwhp and 23rwtq. I'm pretty happy with the results!

I'm trying to post the graph, but my phone won't send the pic to my email.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:19 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Sweet, I believe you.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:36 PM
Templar
3rd Gear Member

Awesome! Thanks for the update and Congrats!

Quick Reply: Stock 5.0 dyno, then added mods.