Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Selling Rant

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 11:23 AM
wanakanabe
2nd Gear Member

Unfortunately mods are a personal preference.Whats awesome and great to you may not be for the next guy.Really bad thing about mods,almost never get out what you put in.Ask a Harley guy
Also looks like it was a base model,cloth seats and that probably hurts some as well.No sync,no my color etc.
It is a sweet ride,i see your offers are getting up there,i think i would consider lowering the reserve because you are to close to what your going to get.
It is without a doubt a beautiful car,good luck.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:32 AM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

Unfortunately I will go one step further and state that I would never buy a used muscle/sports car period. I am sure there are many others out there that think the same way, mind you many look for a deal on used for sure. Good luck with your sale.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:30 PM
zilla8
1st Gear Member

I hope everything works out for you.I have a modded 2011 base GT and I have every single stock part in case I decide to sell or trade it in.I know how insulting the low ball offers can be.

I only paid 26K new for my car and I learned long time ago about selling a modded car.If you have any of the stock parts I would put them back on and sell the aftermarket parts.

good luck and I hope things work out for you and you can get another Mustang down the road.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:56 AM
mph07alloy
3rd Gear Member

$28,200! you're getting it up there closer. By the way there's something wrong with your links to the body kit images.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:51 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mtflyboy25

Where the hell can I find a 2012 brand new premium for 32k? Ill trade this and do that then dang.

I was going to talk about this in a couple of days after I take delivery on my new 2012 GT tomorrow, but after reading this thread I figured it would be relevant to discuss my experience now.

I closed a deal on Saturday for a manual 2012 GT Premium w/3.73, Brembo and comfort package. MSRP is $36,790. My price is $32,000 + T&L. I took advantage of Labor Day sales events, but I think the rebates applied are good through September (not sure though). Labor Day and Memorial Day are two of the biggest weekend events for new car sales.

The trouble I had was with my trade. My 07 GT, w/leather, shaker and alloy wheels KBB's at over $18,000. Dealer started at $14k. After an hour of back and forth I had one foot out the door when we settled on $16,500. Well below my target. It has Steeda Springs, Koni shocks and HD strut mounts. I also has 4.10 gears and Bassani axle backs. So I wasn't just trading a stock car. I got nothing for my mods. Granted, you have much more invested than I do, but mods typically will not drive up resale value. I can see your body kit helping a little bit though.

There are a lot of good responses here. Parchisi pretty much summed it up with the first reply. Hats off to Blacksmoke for getting $17k for his 06'. It wouldn't happen here in my area and there is a high cost of living where I live. To sum this up based on the reviews above, you need to create a new ad. Don't let people know you are desperate and market the crap out of your car by empshasizing the mods. One thing you have to keep in mind is that if you are holding out for the highest possible offer, it will take time...several months at that to find the right buyer.

If you are advertising on Craiglist, you will run into a gamut of lowballers. That's the nature of that website. Just ignore the lowballers, but it kind of serves as a reality check. We live in a society where Americans will try to take advantage of other Americans.

I took the liberty of checking trade in on kbb for your car based on premium package and it came out to $27k. The dealer offering you $28k is pretty good. If you're holding out for a private party at a higher price, then you just have to be patient. The idea of a dealer offering a lower than street price is so they would have to sit it and find a buyer.

Anyways, sweet car and tastefully done. That looks like Candy Red Metallic. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. And hopefully you find a job soon so you can keep your car.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:44 AM
wanakanabe
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Thrashard340
I was going to talk about this in a couple of days after I take delivery on my new 2012 GT tomorrow, but after reading this thread I figured it would be relevant to discuss my experience now.

I closed a deal on Saturday for a manual 2012 GT Premium w/3.73, Brembo and comfort package. MSRP is $36,790. My price is $32,000 + T&L. I took advantage of Labor Day sales events, but I think the rebates applied are good through September (not sure though). Labor Day and Memorial Day are two of the biggest weekend events for new car sales.

The trouble I had was with my trade. My 07 GT, w/leather, shaker and alloy wheels KBB's at over $18,000. Dealer started at $14k. After an hour of back and forth I had one foot out the door when we settled on $16,500. Well below my target. It has Steeda Springs, Koni shocks and HD strut mounts. I also has 4.10 gears and Bassani axle backs. So I wasn't just trading a stock car. I got nothing for my mods. Granted, you have much more invested than I do, but mods typically will not drive up resale value. I can see your body kit helping a little bit though.

There are a lot of good responses here. Parchisi pretty much summed it up with the first reply. Hats off to Blacksmoke for getting $17k for his 06'. It wouldn't happen here in my area and there is a high cost of living where I live. To sum this up based on the reviews above, you need to create a new ad. Don't let people know you are desperate and market the crap out of your car by empshasizing the mods. One thing you have to keep in mind is that if you are holding out for the highest possible offer, it will take time...several months at that to find the right buyer.

If you are advertising on Craiglist, you will run into a gamut of lowballers. That's the nature of that website. Just ignore the lowballers, but it kind of serves as a reality check. We live in a society where Americans will try to take advantage of other Americans.

I took the liberty of checking trade in on kbb for your car based on premium package and it came out to $27k. The dealer offering you $28k is pretty good. If you're holding out for a private party at a higher price, then you just have to be patient. The idea of a dealer offering a lower than street price is so they would have to sit it and find a buyer.

Anyways, sweet car and tastefully done. That looks like Candy Red Metallic. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. And hopefully you find a job soon so you can keep your car.
Sounds like the exact same situation i was in,i had an 07 gt,looking for 11 5.o.Mine kbb'ed for same,dealers kept offering me same as you 14.5 lol.Even the car i eventually bought was same msrp as the one you got,so sounds like our experiences were identical.I walked out of 2 or 3 dealerships,asked to leave in one.
I only paid 15k for my trade,the only issue with it was high miles,55k.I ended up getting the same as you,16.5 for the trade and some really great 2% financing.I started off with xplan pricing,but got an even better deal.
I actually figured i got 17.6 for my trade because of the taxes i saved.Taking 16.5k off a 32k car saved me 1200 dollars in taxes.
I see the auction ended here at 28k,as pretty as the car is,i don't think he can get much more than that.Hopefully things turn around and he won't have to sell.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wanakanabe
Sounds like the exact same situation i was in,i had an 07 gt,looking for 11 5.o.Mine kbb'ed for same,dealers kept offering me same as you 14.5 lol.Even the car i eventually bought was same msrp as the one you got,so sounds like our experiences were identical.I walked out of 2 or 3 dealerships,asked to leave in one.
I only paid 15k for my trade,the only issue with it was high miles,55k.I ended up getting the same as you,16.5 for the trade and some really great 2% financing.I started off with xplan pricing,but got an even better deal.
I actually figured i got 17.6 for my trade because of the taxes i saved.Taking 16.5k off a 32k car saved me 1200 dollars in taxes.
I see the auction ended here at 28k,as pretty as the car is,i don't think he can get much more than that.Hopefully things turn around and he won't have to sell.
Wow. That is an eerily similar story. I don't know what X-plan is, but I saw the invoice on my car when we were looking for it on the Salesman's computer. I originally went in to look at a White, base GT with 3.73's, but it sold to another customer right when I walked through the door. Sales guy felt bad that I drove 30+ miles to the dealership so he offered to sell the one I ended up buying at $500 over invoice minus rebates. Although, the car I ended up buying cost almost $6k more than the one I originally went to look at.
Old 09-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

I feel your pain OP. But your car is worth no more than $30k to the average buyer as they see zero value in your mods. $20k is an insult, but you basing your asking price off $45k is not logical. Not trying to be rude, but I doubt even a member here would pay you $32k for your car.

My 2011 has 3k miles on. MSRP of $40k, paid $34k in June 2011. I'd probably be lucky to get $28k for it.

Last edited by Bmr4life; 09-07-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:24 AM
mph07alloy
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Thrashard340
I took the liberty of checking trade in on kbb for your car based on premium package and it came out to $27k.
What makes it worse for him is his car is not a premium, I had done the same research you did and looked up his window sticker using the below link.

http://services.forddirect.fordvehic...BP8CF9B5122541

I think he should take the money and run, $28k for a used base GT is probably as good as it's gonna get (unless he finds that special buyer who's hot buttons are the same as his)
Old 09-07-2011, 08:25 AM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mph07alloy
What makes it worse for him is his car is not a premium, I had done the same research you did and looked up his window sticker using the below link.

http://services.forddirect.fordvehic...BP8CF9B5122541

I think he should take the money and run, $28k for a used base GT is probably as good as it's gonna get (unless he finds that special buyer who's hot buttons are the same as his)
Wow, yup. $28k is definitely fair. How the hell did the OP come up with $45k and why did they pay $1700 for a 3.73 swap. That was over $1k of pure waste. Damn, this is going to be one hell of a lesson learned for them. My condolences.

Last edited by Bmr4life; 09-07-2011 at 08:32 AM.

Quick Reply: Selling Rant