Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Exhaust smoke at speed from 2000 mile 2012 GT Auto

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 05:40 AM
0011ADE

Default Exhaust smoke at speed from 2000 mile 2012 GT Auto

Accelerated hard for about 100mph to 130mph and there was a lot of smoke coming out of the exhausts (so much so that I couldn't see anything behind me). The car was only about 10 days old, and it was only the second time I had gone this fast, with about 2000 miles on the clock. When I slowed down there was no smoke. I checked the oil levels and they were fine, all the meter readings were okay, it was a very hot day, but the engine temperature was fine, and there are no engne warning lights on. Drove it the remaining 200 miles home, and kept it below 90 mph. Seemed to drive okay, but after that experience I think there is always something in the back of your mind suggesting it was not quite right!? Next morning I started it, and it fires up okay. The car is in Spain, and I am back in the UK now, but it has started buggin me again, so wondered it anyone else has had a similar experience??
Old 09-19-2011, 04:17 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

The only people I have seen reporting that issue had modified their car and they are getting low cylinder pressure out of cylinder #8 due to broken/damaged ring. The car ran but it felt a little down on power and heavy acceleration resulted in smoke. because they were modified Ford wouldn't warranty the vehicles. I'm not sure what the law/warranty coverage is in the UK though. Also you might not have that issue if the car is driving/running normally. May have just been a random occurence that wont happen again.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:29 PM
0011ADE

Yep, read a few posts about that problem. My car only has a rousch exhaust, no engine mods. Wonder whether it is worth giving it another blast closer to home to see if the problem repeats itself - so if I breakdown it is easier to recover??
Old 09-19-2011, 04:32 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

I'd say yes. Give it a try, let us know how it goes. Ford should warranty it if you have any problems (as long as you don't have it tuned)
Old 09-19-2011, 04:36 PM
0011ADE

Back in Spain next Wednesday, will let you know how it goes, hopefully won't kill it as I can only get it repaired in the UK!! :-)
Old 09-29-2011, 10:21 AM
wicked400ex

Originally Posted by 0011ADE
Accelerated hard for about 100mph to 130mph and there was a lot of smoke coming out of the exhausts (so much so that I couldn't see anything behind me). The car was only about 10 days old, and it was only the second time I had gone this fast, with about 2000 miles on the clock. When I slowed down there was no smoke. I checked the oil levels and they were fine, all the meter readings were okay, it was a very hot day, but the engine temperature was fine, and there are no engne warning lights on. Drove it the remaining 200 miles home, and kept it below 90 mph. Seemed to drive okay, but after that experience I think there is always something in the back of your mind suggesting it was not quite right!? Next morning I started it, and it fires up okay. The car is in Spain, and I am back in the UK now, but it has started buggin me again, so wondered it anyone else has had a similar experience??
Break in period, just keep topping the oil off. You have quite a bit of warranty left. If it is a problem it will get worse, not better. Just keep an eye if it's using more or less oil over time before you let the dealer start tearing your motor apart.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:32 AM
modru2004
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by wicked400ex
Break in period, just keep topping the oil off. You have quite a bit of warranty left. If it is a problem it will get worse, not better. Just keep an eye if it's using more or less oil over time before you let the dealer start tearing your motor apart.
with 2000+ miles on the vehicles break in is already over. there is no good reason for the engine to ever burn that much oil unless something is wrong. if he has that much smoke coming out of the exhaust i would be very very concerned.
Old 09-29-2011, 10:51 AM
HongKongPhooey

Originally Posted by Mishri
I'd say yes. Give it a try, let us know how it goes. Ford should warranty it if you have any problems (as long as you don't have it tuned)
I don't know if they will on this issue

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...sb11-07-07.pdf

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...fications.html
Old 09-29-2011, 10:53 AM
HongKongPhooey

Originally Posted by Mishri
So true I hope he did not get it tuned. If he did I don't know if they will on this issue

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...sb11-07-07.pdf

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...fications.html
Old 09-29-2011, 10:55 AM
HongKongPhooey

Guess I can not edit my posts yet...sorry for the double post

Quick Reply: Exhaust smoke at speed from 2000 mile 2012 GT Auto