Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Question about CAI and tune for 2011 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 02:52 AM
grabber blue gt
4th Gear Member

Pick one from this page and let us know which it is

http://www.americanmuscle.com/2010-m...r-intakes.html
Old 01-20-2012, 09:59 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

I ran my steeda CAI without a tune for a while, I didn't get a CEL or anything, it felt down on power a bit down low, i'm sure it was pulling timing. the ECU on these can correct for changes in fuel and air.

btw, The dealer doesn't have a way to re-program your ECU, they have to send it to Ford to make any calibration changes. (including when they install new gears).

They also couldn't read how many times the ECU had been flashed, that also had to be sent to ford. Unless things have changed in the past year or certain dealerships do have the equipment to do it, I know most don't or didn't.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:01 PM
Punisher121

Originally Posted by Mishri
I ran my steeda CAI without a tune for a while, I didn't get a CEL or anything, it felt down on power a bit down low, i'm sure it was pulling timing. the ECU on these can correct for changes in fuel and air.

btw, The dealer doesn't have a way to re-program your ECU, they have to send it to Ford to make any calibration changes. (including when they install new gears).

They also couldn't read how many times the ECU had been flashed, that also had to be sent to ford. Unless things have changed in the past year or certain dealerships do have the equipment to do it, I know most don't or didn't.

That is EXTREMELY helpful...How long did you run the steeda without a tune? And do you think it caused any long term problems with the engine, like lessened its lifespan??? How pressed would you be to suggest I get a tune? Part of my issue still is I'm not positive that the dealership was correct, that the tune IS stock. Is there any known tune for the 2011 5.0 that disables traction control? I have no previous experience with the Ford traction contol system. I know with the LS1 I had in the past, if the traction control comes on it pushed the gas pedal out and locked it until traction gained. With my 5.0, when I go WOT sometimes I spin through 1st and some of 2nd...I'll see the traction control light come on, but it doesnt feel like anything actually happens. How does the traction control actually work in these vehicles, and any idea if any of the tunes disable it???
Old 01-20-2012, 02:35 PM
lawrencecar1
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Punisher121
I think i see how to PM, but don't see how to attach a photo...Only a photo from a website versus attaching...
i can post if you email to me. clawrence_1@yahoo.com

Last edited by lawrencecar1; 01-20-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Punisher121

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...011-5-0-a.html

Here is a link to another forum that I could attach, photo is on the original post. Let me know what CAI you think that is, thanks
Old 01-21-2012, 09:34 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...011-5-0-a.html

Here is a link to another forum that I could attach, photo is on the original post. Let me know what CAI you think that is, thanks
Looks exactly like a steeda unit, which does require a tune. Possible that they put a different filter on it leading to your initial confusion.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:51 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

That is EXTREMELY helpful...How long did you run the steeda without a tune? And do you think it caused any long term problems with the engine, like lessened its lifespan??? How pressed would you be to suggest I get a tune? Part of my issue still is I'm not positive that the dealership was correct, that the tune IS stock. Is there any known tune for the 2011 5.0 that disables traction control? I have no previous experience with the Ford traction contol system. I know with the LS1 I had in the past, if the traction control comes on it pushed the gas pedal out and locked it until traction gained. With my 5.0, when I go WOT sometimes I spin through 1st and some of 2nd...I'll see the traction control light come on, but it doesnt feel like anything actually happens. How does the traction control actually work in these vehicles, and any idea if any of the tunes disable it???
I ran it for about 2 weeks without a tune. I dont believe there would be any long term problems, but i also didn't floor it ever without a tune on it, i drove pretty conseratively. I would say you should get a tune asap. If your tune disables traction control you'll see the TC light lit all the time. The TC doesn't do anything to your gas pedal position, it's all drive by wire so it just cuts fuel, doesn't need to physical do anything to the pedal. in the 05-2010's disabling traction control was kind of annoying with the idiot lights, i cant remember what else it did but something about it was annoying enough for my friend to have it turned back on.

You could be in trouble, if the previous owner used a hand-held tuner on it and didn't return it to stock then you wont be able to load a new tune on it. I'd say the best thing you could do is order a hand held tuner + tunes for a steeda CAI from some place like American Speed (BAMA) and just see if you can get it to work. if it can't find a stock calibration you'll have a tougher time of things. It wont be impossible, just more work and money, like taking it to ford for a stock calibration.

Last edited by Mishri; 01-22-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:21 PM
Punisher121

Thanks for the info...Im a litle more concerned now, because I do floor it a bit. Im actually not concerned if the previous owner did not return the tune to stock, I'm concerned with the opposite that it was returned to stock with that CAI...
Old 01-23-2012, 06:31 AM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

The stock Mustang 5.0 Coyote engine is a very efficient engine when it comes to flowing air - and indeed it is an engine that responds very favorably to modifications that increase it's airflow. When adding a typical CAI to the 5.0 engine you are adding even more air to the engine which will cause changes in the A/F ratio. If you do not change this ratio by increasing the amount of fuel during specific periods when the air/fuel ratio dips, you run the risk of running your engine too lean (e.g. more fuel is needed). It is recommended when adding most CAI's that a tune should also be done at the same time or you run the risk of causing serious damage to your engine. If a CAI does not require a tune change on a 5.0 Coyote engine, then the CAI is not flowing the maximum amount of air that it should be flowing.

When engines run lean, damage to the pistons and valves can be the result. Pistons which can get over heated and distort will eventually cause a catastrophic failure. Lean conditions can also cause the exhaust valves to over heat and distort and not seal properly. A valve needs to get a good seal not only to hold compression but also to cool it self. Heat is taken away from the valve while it is closed, the heat goes into the valve seat and then into the cooling system. Serious damage from extended periods of lean running are common and sometimes hard to spot.

When you add the Steeda CAI it is required that you run a tune so you can change the A/F ratio to allow the engine to run properly and gain maximum performance. We have spent a lot of time and effort testing our CAI's on the 5.0 engine to make sure their are no issues from a reliability perspective and also so that horsepower and torque are maximized.

When you buy from Steeda you are guaranteed that you are buying a product that was designed, engineered, and manufactured under strict ISO 9001-2008 Certified processes - your guarantee of quality. Before you consider any other CAI, just inquire if it was made under similar strict engineering processes - do a little research and then rest assured that when you buy from Steeda, you are buying the very best.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:39 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Isn't the tune primarily required because of the change in calibration concerning the diameter of the intake at the location of the MAF? If the diameter or the general shape of the intake is different than the stock that the computer has sensor calibration info for then the sensor is reading either too high or too low. For large diameter pipes the size serves mainly to change the velocity of the air, with a secondary effect at higher velocities being the friction that causes pressure changes along the length of the pipe. The larger the pipe the less the friction for higher velocities compared to a smaller pipe, but the smaller pipe obtains higher velocities (good for fuel mixing) for the same volumetric flow rate as the large pipe. Would this put the other reason for the tune as a change in velocity and adjustment of the induced pressure wave from the cycling of the engine resulting in slightly more air in the cylinders over stock at specific rpms, and less comparatively at others?

Quick Reply: Question about CAI and tune for 2011 5.0