Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

3.31/3.55/3.73 Rear Axle Ratio?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 12:12 PM
GearHead5Point0
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by clowe1965
He is in NJ, having a high ratio will compound traction problems in bad weather. Course they already have traction problems in good weather and low gearing.
Pick your gearing based on what you want to do (1/4 mile, DD, track, autox).
To be honest, I was planning on using the Mustang for a wide variety of things, daily driver, 1/4 mile, track, autocross...you name it, I wanna try it.
Old 01-21-2012, 12:14 PM
GearHead5Point0
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mtflyboy25
I had 3.31s when I started with my 11 GT. I had a buddy with 3.55s in his 11 GT. Both were fast, but he could get me by a decent margin. I swapped mine out to 3.73s and blew him away. I love the 3.73s and say get them or 4.10s ... I went 176 mph with 3.73s with 2500 rpms left, so uh yeah, you dont need the 3.31s or 3.55s. Get the 3.73s!
You had the Governor Limiter deactivated correct?
Old 01-21-2012, 12:17 PM
GearHead5Point0
1st Gear Member

I'm sorry that this question is a bit off topic from my original question, but does anyone now the final date in which you could order a 2012 Mustang?
Old 01-21-2012, 12:23 PM
mayo
4th Gear Member

Cant speak for the 5.0's, but I just got my 3.31's switched out to 3.73 in my 08gt and love them! Had the 3.31 the first year of ownership in an auto and HATED the gear. Bogged way too much and took forever to get into the powerband, no matter the throttle input. Some say 4.10's are a bit too much and after driving with the 3.73, I would agree...especially with a manual as most guys have to start in 2nd gear because 1st is too short and virtually non-existant with the 4.10's.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:35 AM
General Jack

Originally Posted by GearHead5Point0
I'm sorry that this question is a bit off topic from my original question, but does anyone now the final date in which you could order a 2012 Mustang?
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but my local dealers have told me that day has passed, actually it did as of a week and a half ago... I would check with your local guys, but that's what I've been told. I had no idea prior to 2 weeks ago so I had to quickly squeeze my order in upon learning that.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:44 AM
General Jack

Originally Posted by clowe1965
hijack
Look at this, a guy who truly does not discriminate between the big three, camaro, challenger and now a mustang. I guess you might not be able to offer an opinion on the new camaro, but what are your favorite characteristics of the three options?
Ha ha, yeah, well I love domestic pony cars suffice to say.

Challenger looks the best IMO, especially the R/T Classic package which is what I went with (black on black). Worst performance of the bunch... but I've gotten more compliments on that car than anything I've ever owned.

Mustang, best performance and bang for the buck by far. Most fun to drive (extrapolation from my test drive anyway...) Best sounding engine and exhaust too.

Camaro, looks good but not as good as the Challenger IMO. Performs well but not as well as the Mustang. Finishes last of the three... and I grew up a GM guy! (flame suit on)

Last edited by General Jack; 01-22-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:32 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by General Jack

Challenger looks the best IMO, especially the R/T Classic package which is what I went with (black on black). Worst performance of the bunch... but I've gotten more compliments on that car than anything I've ever owned.

Mustang, best performance and bang for the buck by far. Most fun to drive (extrapolation from my test drive anyway...) Best sounding engine and exhaust too.

Camaro, looks good but not as good as the Challenger IMO. Performs well but not as well as the Mustang. Finishes last of the three... and I grew up a GM guy! (flame suit on)
Cool nice to hear unbiased info. I agree with the challenger looks, though I do think it needs to be lowered to offset the massive height of the body panels. The R/Ts and SRT8s look substantially better than the v6 model because of the wheels and different suspension set up. I drove a camaro and was disappointed from the lack of "kick in the pants" feel that the mustang gives, though it was a convertible.
Old 01-29-2012, 12:38 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by General Jack

--random post---

Id take a black on black SRT8 Challenger in a freaking heartbeat! For the money.. my car is just better for my needs all around, but those Challengers turn my head every time. It would be great to have both, but if I had that kind of cash, I would have split the difference with a 2013 GT500
Old 01-30-2012, 10:08 AM
mtflyboy25
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GearHead5Point0
You had the Governor Limiter deactivated correct?
oh yeah haha
Old 02-02-2012, 05:44 PM
GearHead5Point0
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
--random post---

Id take a black on black SRT8 Challenger in a freaking heartbeat! For the money.. my car is just better for my needs all around, but those Challengers turn my head every time. It would be great to have both, but if I had that kind of cash, I would have split the difference with a 2013 GT500
Exterior wise I agree, the Challenger always seems to turn my head I don't know, I also find that some 11'-12' Mustangs are nicer than others. I really think the Brembo Brake Package does a lot aesthetically in comparison to the stock 18's on the Mustangs...just my opinion though.

I also find that the Mustang's look way nicer in person that in pictures

Quick Reply: 3.31/3.55/3.73 Rear Axle Ratio?