Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Remote Start(6MT)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 04:23 PM
D00m3dHitm4n
1st Gear Member

Default Remote Start(6MT)

I'm wondering if its a good idea to put in a remote start in the 2012 GT with a 6MT that I'm getting. What are the downsides(if any) and what are the upsides(besides a nicely warmed car during the winter).
Old 01-23-2012, 05:51 PM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

There is a thread on here somewhere with a fun story you should read. A guy that owned an 06' GT I think did the same thing, when he dropped his car off at the dealer for some maintenance the mechanic hit the start button while it was in Gear with no e-brake on. Long story short it jumped a curb, went through a fence and into a pond. When the owner went to go pick up his car it was at the bottom of the pond....and no he didn't get reimbursed for it. The thread has picks to if you can find it......so I would say it's not a good idea.

Actually I found it...........enjoy, I love this thread but the pics of the car have been removed.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...e-updated.html

Last edited by REDBOSS1; 01-23-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:20 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

You could do it if there was a gear indicator signal coming from the transmission, but you would have to program a chip with a custom circuit board to prevent start up without it being in neutral. Easy enough with knowledge of basic circuitry, and you can pick up Basic coding language in a few hours. If there wasn't one you could possibly make one using the LED numerical gear shift ***** as the sensor. But generally yeah, a bad idea.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:19 AM
NaplesFL11GT
3rd Gear Member

I never really understood the fascination with this mod. Especially if its for a manual transmission vehicle. Still got to press in the clutch and have the key in the ignition.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:03 PM
jamesfs912

Originally Posted by NaplesFL11GT
I never really understood the fascination with this mod. Especially if its for a manual transmission vehicle. Still got to press in the clutch and have the key in the ignition.
You actually don't have to press in the clutch anymore.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:24 PM
D00m3dHitm4n
1st Gear Member

I dont really understand the hate for this mod.... i mean if your not a complete retard when it comes to it, your the only one that drives the car, and you disable the remote start capability before you take it in to get repaired. It seems like a great a idea if you live in a cold climate area.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:15 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2008GT/CSBuckeye
There is a thread on here somewhere with a fun story you should read. so I would say it's not a good idea.
This would be because people are morons, using an AT(Automatic Transmission) ONLY unit for the job.

Get a sold unit made that has MT as an option for it's setup, a reputable/knowledgeable place to install it and your fine. If you get the local audio place to install it, and just bypass an automatic only unit, then you've just set yourself up for fail as mentioned in that thread.

This, for the thread that originally got me to register here, as I wanted one at the time, but wanted to know the best unit at the time to get, the last few pages have some good recommendations:
https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005...mission-9.html
Most again quote the same thread you did, simply for the fact that they know no better.

It's since become a far lower priority for me, but eventually it will still happen. But I'll do it myself, since I consider my car much like an X files episode (especially for add-on after-market electronics), trust no one.

Last edited by wayne613; 01-24-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:28 PM
Thrashard340
2nd Gear Member

I would NOT recommend this for a manual...EVER!

Besides the thread that 2008GT/CSBuckeye posted, I coworker of mine recently shared two stories involving manuals and remote starters. Neither had happy endings.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:38 PM
wayne613
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Thrashard340
I would NOT recommend this for a manual...EVER!

Besides the thread that 2008GT/CSBuckeye posted, I coworker of mine recently shared two stories involving manuals and remote starters. Neither had happy endings.
Do they start off with "this one time in band camp"?

The ones that are MADE to do this for an optional remote transmission require you to get out of the car, the engine left running, then arm the car alarm/remote start module, for the unit itself to shut the car off, for the remote start to function.

If you shut it off by either forgetting, or it's just not wise at the time to depend on the emergency brake, the alarm and everything else still functions fine, but the R/S just will not be allowed to function.

The ones that have a MT mode/setting, once enabled are of course more cumbersome, but not anymore dangerous with even a smattering used of common sense (ie. depending soley on the emergency brake parked on the side of steep hill in sub-zero weather).

Last edited by wayne613; 01-24-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:28 PM
dcarlinf1
3rd Gear Member

I have no desire to have remote start capabilities. It's useless IMO.

Also, in my state, you can get a ticket if your car is running and you aren't in it. Even in your own driveway. Now, I do think that the car being in your own driveway is overkill but, I sure get sick of seeing cars running while people go in the local stop-and-rob for their smokes and lottery tickets. It says a lot about someone's priorities, or lack there of.

My keys are in my pocket and the engine is stopped if I am not in the car.

Quick Reply: Remote Start(6MT)