Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Question about Tunes and warrenty

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 03:42 PM
Burns331
2nd Gear Member

Default Question about Tunes and warrenty

Okay,
We all know BAMA is standing behind there tunes and offering a warrenty to repair any issue that may happen to the motor due to ford voiding a tuned cars warrenty.

My question is, what if there is a mechanical failure in the engine that is not related to tuning? Will BAMA cover it, or will Ford, or will the car owner.

I have been doing my resarch on which tuner to buy and thought of this.

Say i have my car tuned, and BAMA will cover me if ford doesnt. What if the car has a oil pump failure, and the motor is complete toast. Its a mechanical failure unrelated to the tune, but ford will void the warrenty due to the tune.

Will BAMA cover it? Its not really fair to them, but i guess it left me wondering.

This question is best left to be awnsered by the tuning companys, but i thought i would see what peoples opinions on here are.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:58 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Bama will only cover #8 cylinder. Ford won't cover anything engine related or possibly tranny related once you tune it. If you can't afford to fix it yourself then don't tune it. Or have someone tune it that has no failures like VMP, AED, or Amazon. Personally I wouldn't trust Bama as they've had too many failures.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Burns331
2nd Gear Member

Oh I have the money to fix it. And I'm not trying to to get out of anything. It's a pretty legit question. I just don't think shelling out 10k because something non tune related failed.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

he gave you an honest answer though. you are overstating bama's additional warranty from what I've read. it is for the #8 cyl. failure issue, and only after you've danced through fords' warranty process and get denied etc.

the truth to this question is always, you should be prepared to pay any damages that ensue yourself, because it just might come to that.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:21 PM
Burns331
2nd Gear Member

I never said bama should be responsible. I even went on to say it wouldn't be fair if they had to cover damage that was unrelated.

Does fords tsb say it voids all warranty on the drive train? Or just #8 cylinder failures?
Old 02-06-2012, 07:32 PM
jamesfs912

Originally Posted by Burns331
I never said bama should be responsible. I even went on to say it wouldn't be fair if they had to cover damage that was unrelated.

Does fords tsb say it voids all warranty on the drive train? Or just #8 cylinder failures?
The tsb is somewhere on google. The tranny wouldn't void just the clutch which makes not sense at all. Not sure how a tune affects the clutch. Found the tsb

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f...ations-497095/
Old 02-07-2012, 08:28 AM
essayons
2nd Gear Member

if you install an aftermarket tune and then suffer a catastrophic engine failure, Ford is going to have a really easy time denying any warranty claim you try to make. That's the bottom line.

You can try to get a third party warranty (talk to your insurance company, for starters), and they could potentially cover it. But it's a long shot gamble at best, simply because the first question they ask will be "Why isn't Ford covering this?".
Old 02-07-2012, 11:46 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Burns331

My question is, what if there is a mechanical failure in the engine that is not related to tuning? Will BAMA cover it, or will Ford, or will the car owner.
Bama of course will not cover such a failure, especially if the tune is not what caused the failure.

If the failure is due to a fault from the factory, that is Ford's responsibility to cover it. And Ford will rightly so have to repair it as it is the fault of Ford (the factory) why the failure occurred.

Now, if you have an aftermarket tune and you suffer an engine failure, say, piston #7 fails because of a factory defect (not a fault of your aftermarket tune), you might have to ready yourself to do battle with the dealership techs and make them prove that the tune was the fault.
It is so easy for the dealership to shirk responsibility as soon as they know you have an aftermarket tune.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:41 PM
BlackGT45th
2nd Gear Member

An aftermarket part or tune will not void the warranty automatically. The only way it will void the factory warranty is if it is the proven cause of whatever failure/damage that occurs, and that is the federal law. If you do mod your car and something goes wrong have a third party look at it and determine if the aftermarket part or tune caused the failure, if not then take it to Ford and let them know it was already determined by a mechanic it was a factory problem. Don't let any dealership tell you that your warranty is void simply by adding an aftermarket part.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:02 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BlackGT45th
An aftermarket part or tune will not void the warranty automatically. The only way it will void the factory warranty is if it is the proven cause of whatever failure/damage that occurs, and that is the federal law. If you do mod your car and something goes wrong have a third party look at it and determine if the aftermarket part or tune caused the failure, if not then take it to Ford and let them know it was already determined by a mechanic it was a factory problem. Don't let any dealership tell you that your warranty is void simply by adding an aftermarket part.
That sounds real good in print but in the real world you will mostly likely lose any battle with Ford, fair or unfair.

Quick Reply: Question about Tunes and warrenty