Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Need the tranny experts here!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 02:17 PM
cyot12

Default Need the tranny experts here!!

Regarding a 2012 GT. Ok, ive searched and have found no similar issue mentioned and I am fully aware that the 2012 chinese tranny sucks. So...

From the time I took delivery in August I have noticed a slapping sound under the car when going over bumps diagonally (ie. my driveway). I figured it was some type of line, or clamp attached to a hose, or just plain something swaying back and forth. I never did find that object.

However, i've come to realize exactly what it is. If I go over a bump (straight or diagonal) with my foot off of the clutch there is nothing, no slapping or banging. If my foot is fully depressing the clutch then its slap city. All of my previous cars were standard and I have never had a simliar issue.

That all being said...my car actually shifts smooth so long as im driving in a straight line. When im making a turn and going into 2/3 it gets hung up.

Any ideas?
Old 02-17-2012, 06:03 PM
Sand4u
1st Gear Member

Not an expert, but I think it sounds like the shifter base bushing is out of whack or something, allowing things to move around when the driveline isn't engaged. Certainly something worth taking it back to the dealership to have checked.

If you don't want to take it in (or they aren't able to fix it), Strano Parts sells aftermarket bushings that are supposed to be a lot stiffer. Might be worth getting in touch with them and see what they think.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:59 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

If the shifter is getting hung up then yes there is something out of tolerance. When you are turning, do you have the slapping sound if the car is left in gear and the clutch pedal depressed, or does it only occur when a gear change is made? There will be a certain amount of slack in the drive train during re-engagement of the clutch but it shouldn't be a slapping sound, more of a faint clunk. Have the dealer check it out, demonstrate it to the technician (find some place in the parking lot and do it prior to having the tech ride with you to avoid the jinx). If the dealer says its normal operation, live with it, try another dealer or try an aftermarket shifter with a replacement lower bracket (steeda and barton or a complete MGW unit).