Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Another #8 Cylinder Issue?? Need HELP

Old 03-02-2012, 01:38 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Have there been failures with DYNO tunes? Sorry if I missed that in the thread. If not, then maybe that's something all the Coyote owners need to consider.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

I wouldn't trust 90% of the dyno shops to tune a coyote engine. There are a lot of parameters to mess with and only a handful of tuners actually do a good job on the 2011+ GTs
Old 03-02-2012, 04:09 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
I wouldn't trust 90% of the dyno shops to tune a coyote engine. There are a lot of parameters to mess with and only a handful of tuners actually do a good job on the 2011+ GTs
I suppose a good question would be whether Brenspeed has had any #8s fail on any of their dyno tunes vs. their mail tunes.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:25 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
Good point. I meant a reputable tuner, not ACME Dyno. :-)
Old 03-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Originally Posted by pdonket
I suppose a good question would be whether Brenspeed has had any #8s fail on any of their dyno tunes vs. their mail tunes.
then you run into the issue of #s, thousands of people have e-mail tunes but probably only a few hundred have dyno tunes. and if it's a 1 in 1,000 odds (or even higher odds) that you have an issue there aren't enough people with dyno tunes out there to see.. I think all of the cases ive heard of had email tunes, I'd be interested if anyone had a dyno tune and the #8 issue though.
Old 03-02-2012, 05:46 PM
SSKILLER5.0
2nd Gear Member

All this talk is making me feather my throttle..I may just bow out of this one for fear of driving like a sissy..lol
Old 03-03-2012, 09:23 AM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Well I actually just spent about 4 hours reading over all the other forums and there is a 17 page thread over on SVT Performance that is somewhat good but is also full of plenty of trash, if you want to burn about two hours of your life it's an "ok" read. There are 4 guys in that thread that have had their #8 go and they were all from different tuners. On was a Lund tune but supposedly they guy got some bad gas, one was from Brenspeed, one was from some shop I've never even heard of, and one would't say.

I think anyone that gets a tune should data log the car probably and not just assume that the tune is good to go, there was another guy on there who got a Bama tune that ran 14:1 AFR, if he wouldn't have found that out it wouldn't have ended well but he caught it and they fixed it for him.

So on Monday or Tuesday I'm going to be loading my own 93 Lund tune and I have never "data logged" a car, just how do you go about doing this? I'm assuming there is a device I'm going to have to purchase.

I was also surprised to see how much traffic the other sites have on the 5.0 engine, this one seems kinda dead most of the time but by far and away the most grown up with the least amount of trash.

Last edited by REDBOSS1; 03-03-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:05 AM
dan02gt

2008gt/csbuckeye,

You have a Boss right? They have the nice forged pistons that I bet are not near as likely to give you issues with the ring lands cracking.

Also, your SCT tuner will provide you all you need to data log. You just install the software on a laptop, connect the laptop to the sct, and the SCT to you car.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:32 AM
REDBOSS1
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dan02gt
2008gt/csbuckeye,

You have a Boss right? They have the nice forged pistons that I bet are not near as likely to give you issues with the ring lands cracking.

Also, your SCT tuner will provide you all you need to data log. You just install the software on a laptop, connect the laptop to the sct, and the SCT to you car.
Thats kinda what I thought but I wasn't sure, I'm confident in the tunes and stuff but it's probably still a good thing to do. Thanks.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:01 PM
pdonket
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2008GT/CSBuckeye
Thats kinda what I thought but I wasn't sure, I'm confident in the tunes and stuff but it's probably still a good thing to do. Thanks.
You got me interested in data logging, so I went and found what I could.

This link seems pretty helpful: http://www.mustangevolution.com/must...an-sct-x-cal3/

the latest livelink is 6.5 which can be found here: http://sctflash.com/LiveLink.php

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another #8 Cylinder Issue?? Need HELP