Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

smells like burnt clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 02:34 PM
ring3r
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by nwb818
Ive had the same problem! im not sure what exactly is going on when that happens, and i'd rather it didnt... Its a new car!
I've got the same problem as both of you and I took the car in for warranty work. I'm in Germany and they couldn't "figure it out" so I sent them some links from this forum about people with the same issue.

The problem is only at high RPM shifts. I'm being easy on the clutch, no slipping, just a well timed shift. If I shift at high RPM, the clutch pedal just doesn't come all the way back up.

I haven't smelled any burning clutch and I only had it happen enough times so I could duplicate it, and then I took it in to a dealership here....but they're not familiar with Mustangs. I linked them to a thread and they contacted Ford in the states for advice.

Here is a link to my thread: https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...y-old-car.html

And here is a link to the thread that I showed the dealership to try to describe what's going on/why it's happening: https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...issue-fix.html

The dealership contacted me on Monday to let me know they were taking the issue to Ford in the states, I haven't heard anything since. I had the car only long enough to break it in...I noticed the issue the very first time I actually got on it, less than a week after taking delivery. Haven't abused the car in any way, I've never had any issues with a clutch before and have been driving manual for over a decade. The repair process has been a nightmare for me, but if you're in the states, I'd highly recommend taking the vehicle in and providing a log of the posts in the same thread I used - it appears that Ford wanted to take the entire assembly...all the way from pedal to the clutch itself, and replace it, then study the defective one. I'm hoping like hell they do the same for me...who knows what kind of damage the clutch has sustained, if it's not re-engaging properly due to the pedal being jacked up?

Last edited by ring3r; 05-08-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:12 PM
potman
3rd Gear Member

I get a strange smell when I ride the car hard, perhaps this is what I'm smelling.
Old 05-09-2012, 01:51 PM
ring3r
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by potman
I get a strange smell when I ride the car hard, perhaps this is what I'm smelling.
Doubtful.....you've got a 2010, and from what I'm tracking, the issue is only with the 2011 and 2012's. Ford switched to a new type of clutch pedal assembly in 2011, probably to try to reduce effort on the unavoidably heavier clutch that comes with adding 100hp.

Your car has the old-style clutch pedal assembly, which was a proven design.
Old 05-09-2012, 02:09 PM
ExoticMangos

Mine gave off a burning odor as well during the first 2000 miles, it seems to of gone away now and I never thought much of it beyond it just being a new engine and was breaking in.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:35 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

The burning smell is the exhaust packing. It will go away. Unless you feel the clutch slipping the smell you get is not the clutch. As to the 3" clutch pedal hesitation, there is a tsb out about pressure plate bolts backing out causing this AND/OR a different spring needed in the clutch assembly. Take it to the dealer and get it fixed.