Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Auto or manual

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 07:38 PM
mustangergt
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by MrSandman
Do you like the manual shift feature?
I do like it but do not use it much really. It is there if I feel like playing around.
I probably use it more as a down shift feature to slow down rather then braking, again to play around.
Manual or auto, it is just a choice, I have an auto,,,,this time,,,,maybe in the future I may get manual next,,,,,then auto again..who knows.

they are both fun cars to drive.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:45 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
The auto in the video has been purpose built for the car, kinda throws it out the window in the auto vs manual debate.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:29 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangergt
I do like it but do not use it much really. It is there if I feel like playing around.
I probably use it more as a down shift feature to slow down rather then braking, again to play around.
Manual or auto, it is just a choice, I have an auto,,,,this time,,,,maybe in the future I may get manual next,,,,,then auto again..who knows.

they are both fun cars to drive.
If they had that feature with the 2011's.. I would have bought an auto. I like the manual, but this thing is pretty noisy, spartian, and im just waiting for it to fail. The autos are rock solid up to a HP range that is way beyond what I will do with this car. The manual.. not so rock solid.. based on many, many people's unfortunate experiences. With the 05-2010 manual, adding a blower and slicks wasnt a big deal. Just add slicks to the 2011+ manual.. and you can count on something wearing out pretty quickly.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:18 AM
Campo 427R
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by onederful100
my 07 is manual, but i occasionally drive my dads 08 auto GT.
so i have driven both quite often. they are 4.6 and not 5.0, but close enough for this comparison.

i like the manual bc i have control of it in different circumstances.
but my dads auto with the performance or race tune, or even the street tune, the shifts are more firm and it now chirps 3rd gear, it didn't do that before.
the low end torque is way better, and the throttle lag is just about gone.
in your sig i didn't notice a tune.
for the auto, the tune makes a huge difference in how it responds with the throttle and how it shifts.
before the tune, my dads GT felt sluggish. with the tune, its fun to drive.

before you go swapping trannys, get a CAI and a tune and see how that is first.
I agree. I have an 07 manual and my brother has an 09 automatic with a CAI and tune. It drives like a different car. Shift points are matching the torque curve and its much more aggresive. This alternative seems the way to go initially for cost. If not satisfied then trade it for a manual. I just would.t do a conversion (hassle).
BTW, my car is not a daily driver, however when we drove home from an HPDE at a track 2 hours away, I was looking for frontage roads and getting on and off the freeway to avoid traffic before finally stopping at a restaurant for dinner. My brother got home 2 hours ahead of me with his automatic.
Most high end cars a the track are dual clutch transmissions with matching downshift revs. I can't afford a Ferrari, so I'm in the market for a used Evo for my next track toy in 2013.

Last edited by Campo 427R; 05-17-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

Originally Posted by clowe1965
The auto in the video has been purpose built for the car, kinda throws it out the window in the auto vs manual debate.
No it isn't, it's the stock 5.0 automatic tranny in all the 2011+ 5.0s with autos.

and yes, the tune will really help how the transmission feels/shifts. I did it just a week after buying my car, after knowing how much better it made my '07.

as far as the automatic vs manual transmission whp #s go it isn't a significant amount of difference. Every car and every dyno will put out different numbers so it is hard to compare, stock for stock the manual is faster than the auto, once you throw a tune on both cars to fix the shifting of the auto it becomes an even race against a skilled driver in the manual. And against 95-99% of mustang owners the auto will have the advantage. This wasn't always true though, the older automatics were slush boxes even with a tune, in '04 and older, manuals always had the advantage. So there was a good reason to drive a manual, you'd never be able to beat a similiar modded manual if the guy could drive well back then.

you might see a 10whp from the transmission, but typically the autos and manuals once tuned trap the same, showing not enough of a power loss to worry about.

Right now the manual is better suited for road courses if that is your thing, most people don't frequent road courses much though. If you wanted to get into that i'd say certainly get a manual then. atleast until we get some paddle shifters and dual clutch automatic transmissions in the mustang I've never driven a GTR but all the reports I hear about it, it turns anyone into a race car driver, it's easy to drive with it's automatic, it takes a really skilled driver to do well in a manual, and i'm sorry to break it to you but unless you've driven against professionals in a road course or gone to the drag strip to prove your driving, you probably aren't good enough to come close to competing with an automatic. Is it easier? sure! is it a bad thing? I don't think so, life is hard enough, I try to make as much as I can easy on myself. Plus, it really pisses me off to not be great at things I do, and missing a shift during a race would make me want to punch myself. Even though "everyone" (not the 1% awesome drivers out there) misses a shift, I want to be better... can't be better? cheat with the auto

Last edited by Mishri; 05-17-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:14 PM
Greydog

I have driven plenty of manual trans and had a few auto as well. The best IMHO was in my new 1968 GTO which would break loose with four people in the car when shifting to second from a dead start with a lock dif, pedal to the metal.

Anyway, manual vs. auto depends on a realistic evaluation of your diving style and needs. Manuals are fun in the ways others have described on this thread but it seems not as robust as the auto. Something to consider.

Me, I am now a cruiser and no longer go through a set of tires every six months so my next ride will be a 2012/13 V6 Mustang convert. Good mileage and will just enjoy the open road and good MPG (and lower insurance).

Have fun.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:11 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
No it isn't, it's the stock 5.0 automatic tranny in all the 2011+ 5.0s with autos.
11 seconds in "Circle D Built Factory Transmission 6r80 Automatic"
Yes it "is" the factory transmission, but its been upgraded the same way the engine internals have to support 1000 hp.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:20 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by clowe1965
11 seconds in "Circle D Built Factory Transmission 6r80 Automatic"
Yes it "is" the factory transmission, but its been upgraded the same way the engine internals have to support 1000 hp.
Yes..but it's still an auto most of the serious race mustangs I've seen are autos (with ratchet type shifters).
Old 05-17-2012, 09:30 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Agreed for dragstrip cars. For a DD car like the OP is wanting, both are equal. With how the two transmissions work, I'm surprised the manual is coming out as the weaker of the two, considering the automatic has more moving components. Less shock with a wet clutch system and a torque converter and a different manufacturer I guess.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:48 AM
Unleashedbeast
4th Gear Member

Hate to revive a one year old topic, but the 6R80 6 speed auto is far superior in quality and power handling compared to the MT-82 6 speed manual. Selecting which is best for you is easy.

1. If you plan to stay below 600 rwhp and love to bang gears, buy the MT-82 manual.

2. If you plan to exceed 600 rwhp and want a faster car, buy the 6R80 auto.

That sums it up. The fastest 2011+ Mustangs in the USA are using the 6R80 with power mods exceeding 600 rwhp.

Quick Reply: Auto or manual