Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Wheel hop during burn out

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 01:41 PM
CrzyHrs
2nd Gear Member

Default Wheel hop during burn out

So I've been having this issue and I'm trying to figure out the easiest cure for it. Before I run my car at the drag strip obviously I smoke the tires off a little bit, not to much though because they are just street tires. When I start to do my burnout i get BAD wheel hop. I'm driving a manual and I've been dumping the clutch at different RPM's to see if I can break the tires loose a little faster. So far I've gone as far as 3,300 RPMS and dumping the cluth and I still get bad wheel hop. I don't want to go much higher on the RPM's cause I don't want to mess anything up. Just curious to know how high in the RPM's I can go or what other people go to for there burn outs.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:51 PM
Lifter583
4th Gear Member

I changed the LCA's on my Snake and upped the hp...seemed to have taken care of the hop...
Old 05-22-2012, 03:09 PM
CrzyHrs
2nd Gear Member

That's great to hear! There's only one thing I hate more than catching wheel hop at the track and that's missing a gear or not being able to get in the gear racing down the track...
Old 05-22-2012, 03:16 PM
FlyboyMustang
2nd Gear Member

I got the Ford Racing LCA from American Muscle. Wheel hop is gone totally. When I run my DR's no squat just go. I def suggest them.

Let me guess missing 2nd to 3rd? I am a PRO at missing it LOL
Old 05-22-2012, 05:53 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by CrzyHrs
That's great to hear! There's only one thing I hate more than catching wheel hop at the track and that's missing a gear or not being able to get in the gear racing down the track...
check the size of your sig - you are a "little" bit too big. The limit is 500 pixels wide and 250 pixels tall
Old 05-22-2012, 07:32 PM
Campo 427R
1st Gear Member

LCAs will give better grip by preventing the OEM bushings from deflecting under power. Since upgrading from the stock LCAs you may as well get an anti-wheel hop kit too. I use the Roush but there are other choices on the market.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:52 AM
Napoleon85
2nd Gear Member

Replacing the stock LCAs and UCA will help resolve this, softer tires don't hurt either. I'm running the UPR billet LCAs and they have worked wonders, not to mention they look awesome. Everyone that has seen them that doesn't know what LCAs are has pointed to them and said "WHAT THE HELL ARE THOSE?!" which nobody did with the stock ones

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-b...l-arms-05.html

You can see them on my car here:

If you plan on lowering a lot, you may want to get adjustable LCAs instead though. Either way, if you decide on a UPR product make sure you shoot UPRSharad a PM on these forums to get the discount code.

Last edited by Napoleon85; 05-23-2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:42 AM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by CrzyHrs
So I've been having this issue and I'm trying to figure out the easiest cure for it. Before I run my car at the drag strip obviously I smoke the tires off a little bit, not to much though because they are just street tires. When I start to do my burnout i get BAD wheel hop. I'm driving a manual and I've been dumping the clutch at different RPM's to see if I can break the tires loose a little faster. So far I've gone as far as 3,300 RPMS and dumping the cluth and I still get bad wheel hop. I don't want to go much higher on the RPM's cause I don't want to mess anything up. Just curious to know how high in the RPM's I can go or what other people go to for there burn outs.
Originally Posted by Napoleon85
Replacing the stock LCAs and UCA will help resolve this, softer tires don't hurt either. I'm running the UPR billet LCAs and they have worked wonders, not to mention they look awesome. Everyone that has seen them that doesn't know what LCAs are has pointed to them and said "WHAT THE HELL ARE THOSE?!" which nobody did with the stock ones

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-b...l-arms-05.html

You can see them on my car here:

If you plan on lowering a lot, you may want to get adjustable LCAs instead though. Either way, if you decide on a UPR product make sure you shoot UPRSharad a PM on these forums to get the discount code.

HA! Napoleon took the words out of my mouth. UPR control arms will eliminate the wheel hop, and we offer mf.com members a 10% discount on every product we make.

On a side note, a clutch dump is not the best way to launch on radials at the drag strip. Slipping the clutch will give you a lower ET. The day I figured this out, I went from smoking the tires at 3,000rpms to dead hooking at 5,200rpms.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:32 AM
CrzyHrs
2nd Gear Member

You're telling me that you launched your car at the track at 5200 RPMs... when I launch at the track I launch at about 1800 and I don't dump the clutch, but I'm on street tires too. The only time I actually "dump" the clutch is when I'm doing a burn out. I will definitely be buying some LCA's within the next week or so and I will most likely order them from UPR.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:55 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by FlyboyMustang
I got the Ford Racing LCA from American Muscle. Wheel hop is gone totally. When I run my DR's no squat just go. I def suggest them.

Let me guess missing 2nd to 3rd? I am a PRO at missing it LOL
I've got some Ford Racing C/A for sale if you'd like to buy

Quick Reply: Wheel hop during burn out