Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Making your Mustang shine

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 10:36 AM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Taskiss
I used Meguiars Gold Class liquid wax for years on all my cars, but recently I tried Turtle Wax ICE.

I won't go back to using the Meguiars wax. I still use their detail spray, wash and wax, and tire care products, but the Turtle wax rocks.
sorry but turtle wax is JUNK in every way. meguiars Gold class is much better for OTC products and Mothers Carnuba paste in the can is even better. I wouldnt use turtle wax if someone paid me
Old 10-29-2012, 11:06 AM
04mineralgreyGT
4th Gear Member

I use Adam's car care products. I will never use anything else.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:25 PM
kzonts
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangergt
I have a 2013 GT/CS Dark Impact Blue color.
I use carnauba wax from Wal Mart. Has anyone tried Pinnacle Souveran Carnauba Paste Wax and if so , is it truly worth a $100?
I use this exclusively and I love it. This combined with Adams detail spray.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:00 PM
bakerjd
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tanner05
I use Adam's Buttery Wax on my 'Stang.
It is an '05 and it made the paint really SHINE.
You should give it a try.
+1

Proof:

Name:  2012-09-10154351.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  461.3 KB

That was taken with a camera phone (no edit) after ONE coat of Adam's Buttery Wax. I'm very pleased with their whole product line thusfar!
Old 11-02-2012, 02:18 PM
flash gordon
2nd Gear Member

Many waxes would shine well and that depends on the colors, the darker the shinier. That being said, the longest lasting wax is Nu Finish. I apply once and it's good for almost a year! No wax can match sythetic polymers!
Old 11-02-2012, 02:37 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

No one listen to this guy..NuFinish is a joke and PURE JUNK. If you wanna buy something over the counter that is good and not expensive get Mothers paste wax in can, or Meguiars gold class. NuFinish is a crappy *** as seen on TV product. Shine has NOTHING to do with the color either. Shine matters on how much you have prepped your car and made it defect free before you even wax it. If you can find this locally your lucky if not order it if you want a REALLY LONG lasting wax..get a good 6-8months out of it and its cheap
http://www.autoality.com/store/pc/vi...&idcategory=74

Last edited by 05xrunner; 11-02-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by 05xrunner
No one listen to this guy..NuFinish is a joke and PURE JUNK. If you wanna buy something over the counter that is good and not expensive get Mothers paste wax in can, or Meguiars gold class. NuFinish is a crappy *** as seen on TV product. Shine has NOTHING to do with the color either. Shine matters on how much you have prepped your car and made it defect free before you even wax it. If you can find this locally your lucky if not order it if you want a REALLY LONG lasting wax..get a good 6-8months out of it and its cheap
http://www.autoality.com/store/pc/vi...&idcategory=74
And what makes you an expert? You sound like a sales rep (a bad one at that).

You are somewhat accurate in your rant about shine. It depends on the quality of the paint surface you are using the wax on which is only in part to the prep. Crappy paint = crappy shine regardless of prepping.

Also, some types of wax may look better (not shine better but look better) on some colors of cars why, Reflective properties. Wax will fill in minor imperfections on paint (No paint is perfect). Carnuba is naturally yellow in color, if you put a yellow film on a non-yellow car, it will affect the tone of the color. A white based wax (bleached carnuba) on a black car will equally affect the tone (or depth) of the black.

Synthetics will generally outlast and out protect Caranuba based waxes but Caranubas will typically have a higher gloss index when all other things are equal.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:19 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

do you really want to get into this with me on what is good detailing products vs what is JUNK. Obviously you dont post alot about this as most in this area know I know what I am talking about. Synthetic does not mean in ONE bit that it will outlast carnuba wax. I can give you plenty of pure carnuba waxes that will outlast sealants I know this from experience as I have probably used more waxes and sealants then most people on this site. Paint prep(buffing out defects, removing oxidation, and removing any micro marring) is about 90% of the paints look. Anything you put on it after carnuba/sealant/nano coating is only going to make a very little change in the look of the paint.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:35 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Well, you're the one lambasting everyone so where's the proof about your experience?

I know what junk waxes are but I typically refrain from just calling people idiots directly or indirectly simply for the fact that well, facts speak for themselves. By that phrase I mean more than just "This sucks, this is good" type posting that I see you doing.

Forums are for learning and sharing experiences. Unfortuneatly I don't see either attribute in your posts.

You seriously sounds like a bad ad. Why not educate those that don't know vs. just calling everything Junk and then making your own statements (opinions), back it up.

Nope, a cheap sythetic will not outlast a high end carnauba wax but a midrange to high end sythetic will defintely blow away even a high end carnauba simply because the truly natural stuff cannot handle the high temps the synthetics can. Sittin in the sun the average surface temp (especially in the summer) of paint can reach north of 180F that is beyond the melting point of natural wax. Poly's are designed to handle that. In addition, most poly's are designed to combat acid rain and other stuff like bird poop. Naturals usualy don't have a lot of additives except conditioners.

Try not to confuse people, a wax is considered a sealant but a sealant is not necessarily considered a wax which is why, some people will add a poly sealant on top of a wax (especially natural stuff) to increase it's durability....

Edit: P.S. my last statment is inflammatory so..my point is, how about sharing your experience?

Last edited by Derf00; 11-02-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:29 PM
05xrunner
4th Gear Member

So my experience.
I have owned so many different waxes/Sealants
Zymol Glasur,Wolfgang Fuzion, Black Fire Midnight sun, Wolfgang Deep gloss paint sealant, Black Fire Wet Diamond, Black Fire Crystal Seal, Pinnacle Souveran, PoorBoys nattysRed, Collinite 845, DodoJuice blue velvet and rainforest rub, Wolf HardBody nano sealant, CarPro Reload
Plus I have used other waxes that you can get off the shelf. Mothers paste wax, mother Reflections Wax/Top Coat, Mothers Syn Wax.
Most Sealants are more durable then lower grade carnuba waxes. The higher the % of carnuba usually gives more durability but there comes a point where to much will make the wax to hard to work with. I can say black fire wet diamond and wolf gang deep gloss are very good sealants and give you about 3-4months of protection. Now my Zymol glasur is a pure carnuba wax and it actually last longer then any sealant I Have used. its durability is around 5months and thats about as good as you can get with a true carnuba. Now collinite 845 is something else. It is a wax but it was designed to hold up to extreme conditions high voltage line insulation and things of that nature. Now for durability Collinite 8945 is the BEST bang for your buck at about $15 a bottle.
All those high end waxes look fantastic and really they will only give little change between each one on the car. What makes them high quality is ease of use. How easy they apply and how easy they come off and leave no dust or residue behind like most of those cheap waxes like NuFinish, Mothers Syn Wax, and alot of other cheap over the counter products.
But like I said before you can have the most expensive wax out there say Swissvax Crystal rock but if you apply it to a car that is not prepped and corrected properly before hand it wouldnt make a difference if you used turtle wax as your not going to get advantages of the wax bonding to the paint properly and making it look the best it can.
I dont know how much more you want me to go into this..Its plain and simple NuFinish is garbage, turtle wax is garbage, armor all is garbage. Price doesnt mean its GOOD either. Look at my thoughts on collinite. Also I will say Souveran being a $100 wax yea it makes blacks and reds look good but its durability is only about 2weeks. its a show car only type wax it has real no durability. I also dont find Dodo juice waxes I had to be any good either. they looked good and removed easy but application from them was not very smooth and bit of a PITA. How much more do you want me to talk about
Shall I get into how to buff a car properly and what products to use and pads?
How to properly wash your car and proper products to use as well. If you search you can see I posted all this info on this forum plenty of times helping users. You just seem to wanna start crap and just spit out useless info on the color of carnuba. Yea its yellow but it also is purely refined to a pure white carnuba as well. So what does that mean to you since you just wanted to talk about the color of the wax in raw form

Quick Reply: Making your Mustang shine