Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

AND AGAIN! #$@# CAR!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 10:00 AM
ring3r
1st Gear Member

Default AND AGAIN! #$@# CAR!

Right, so I went through a month and a half of repairs on my 6 day old 2012 Mustang GT recently. The thread from that adventure can be found here: https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l...old-car-3.html

Now it's going back to the shop. The car has now developed a pronounced rear-end grinding which progresses to a high pitched whine at speed. No change in pitch when shifting, so it's either a rear wheel bearing or the actual rear end itself.

And I never got support last time given the extreme length of time the repairs/parts ordering took. Ford America passed me off to Ford Germany, who never answered me at all, until a week after the issue had finally been resolved (mostly...clutch pedal still hesitates to come back up at high RPM shifts but the clutch itself is locking solid). And when Ford Germany answered me, you know what they said? To contact Ford America. The email I sent them specifically said that Ford America had told me to contact them. And they just passed me right back.

Rear end/bearing crap is notoriously hard to diagnose, since the noise and vibration could be coming from any number of parts. Parts which take a month to arrive here after ordering. This car has been babied the whole time I've owned it....I've never even chirped the tires. And now another issue pops up, less than a month after getting it back from the shop.

Fed up cannot even begin to describe my feelings on this car. Absolute nightmare.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:47 AM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

probably having a rough time because you are in germany. in the US these problems were common and most of the dealerships get them sorted out quickly. I dunno what happened to your rear though. I had really bad gear whine on my stock gears. new gears fixed that.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:28 AM
ring3r
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
probably having a rough time because you are in germany. in the US these problems were common and most of the dealerships get them sorted out quickly. I dunno what happened to your rear though. I had really bad gear whine on my stock gears. new gears fixed that.
Makes me sick to my stomach that I spent this much money on a car and it was seemingly assembled by a monkey. I was so excited to finally get my new Mustang...something I'd been working towards for years. This is the most unreliable vehicle I have ever had, including the $600 1984 S-10 that I got when I was 14.

I can't really imagine a worse new-car buying experience. I have to drive nearly an hour just to get to the dealership that can work on it, and then I'm stranded there so I have to arrange somebody from work to pick me up, and then I have to wait until they diagnose it and get permission to do a warranty repair from Ford (because otherwise I'd have to pay for the rental) which means I am completely without transportation for 2-3 days because of the time difference between Germany and the States. I live 20 minutes from post - the inconvenience to me and burden on the guys that have to pick me up and drop me off is huge.

If the product is so faulty than it requires constant work from a dealership, Ford should not be offering the product in an environment where the dealer support network is so hamstrung. It's a consumer automobile, I shouldnt need a damned pit crew to operate it.

The most frustrating part is that Ford itself just passes me off between divisions over and over. Look, I got it, difficult situation, American car in foreign country...but dammit you made it available here so when things are this bad, somebody needs to step up and make it right.

Last edited by ring3r; 07-18-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:25 PM
SilverHoss
1st Gear Member

Wow, so sorry to hear of you having all these issues with your new car that really blows. Seems Ford has always been hit-or-miss on the quality of the Mustangs. I've had three now. First one, I got new was an '85 GT - 302 w/ 4bbl carb. It ran great, but I had issues with the brakes, then the heater core started leaking (which was excluded from warranty coverage, just like tires or brakes) and then one of the exhaust headers started leaking (bad weld) all this before the car reached 12k miles. And since no warranty coverage, I ended up replacing the heater core myself, which required removal of the ENTIRE dash assembly and took me two days. To replace a $25.00 part. Nightmare, so I feel your pain.
My 2nd 'Stang was an '08. Only issue was the alternator failed, was replaced under warranty.
My 2011, has not had any issues as of yet. It's an auto trans though so no clutch issues for it.
Hang in there and keep after Ford and you will get the issues resolved. But keep after them and let them know you won't give up. That's what they are hoping for.
Get all these issues worked out under warranty and I think then you'll have a good car from then on, mine have been.
Yeah, these mustangs are an incredible bang-for-the buck value and a lot of fun, but if they can't get the quality any better than that, well at least they could man-up and fix the freakin' thing instead of playing chicken-sh** games and trying to avoid it.
Best of luck to you and hope you get 'er straightened out!