Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

I dont know which shifter to get!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 09:47 AM
pcarman

Default MGW

MGW is the best.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:50 PM
Cali Grabber

I jut traded my auto 11 GT for manual 13 GT and goodness!! What was ford thinking when they designed the stock shifter. I thought the tremec on my 11 camaro was bad but at least it didn't have the mushy rubbery feel like this 13 GT has. I never missed so many shifts in my life. It's bad when I'm having problem putting the gear in reverse LOL.

My question is, how hard is the install on ford? I had MGW before but NVH was not good on my camaro that I ended up going with barton which was ton better.

Thanks guys.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:49 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

If you look at what you get with the Barton vs the mgw shifter yes NH is going to increase. Barton reuses the stock shifter housing and rear bracket while mgw replaces the entire unit with a two post mount and billet housing. Yes you can buy the rear support bracket for Barton but then you will have the nvh without the benefits of a new housing and spring assembly. If you want improved shifts with minimal increase in nvh get the Barton or steeda shifter with rear bracket. If you want the best shifting improvement on the market regardless of nvh get mgw.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:24 AM
onetirefire

+1 for the barton prototype from mustang week. I know I'm waiting for one. Plus they said it was going to be called the m1a1. How cool is that.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:07 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

I think the barton with the transmission mount is a great idea and improvement, but using the two post bracket its the same as mgw. Would have been better for them if they had preorder forms for it. The barton does have a shorter throw than mgw. After driving a truck the stock shifter is short enough.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:47 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

I typically love short throw shifters / aftermarket shifters.. but .. I honestly cannot find a flaw in the stock shifter. I actually love the way it feels, even when I'm driving aggressively and banging through gears. this is a first for me.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:44 PM
not to old to go fast

I've had Hurst but like Barton much better. The Barton does make more noise but shifts alot better. Dont know anything about MGW but hope this helps. Also Barton has lockout and Hurst does not it uses a light.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:23 AM
tezz

Hi Guys - new here - only 350 miles on my new '13 GT and I absolutely HATE the stock shifter. I've read the above on the MGW and Barton - has anyone tried the Shelby or Steeda units? I'm trying NOT to modify the new ride (against my nature) but the stock shifter is something I will not live with. thanks
Old 09-17-2012, 10:43 PM
Ronp17

I am getting a MGW installed this Friday on my 12 GT. Will have some driving impressions to report by Saturday after the 175 miles drive home from MGW in Augusta. I hope i dont pick up any of the NVH issues several people posted about. Just looking for some crisper shifting as the stock shifter feels gimpy to me.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:42 AM
tezz

Cool, thanks. Mine is 'okay' if you're not in a hurry, but 2-3 and 4-5/3 are bad when you are slamming gears... Money is not the primary concern right now, but is there a Jegs/Summit/Steeda forum discount to be had?

Quick Reply: I dont know which shifter to get!