Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Catted X Pipe or Not???

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 08:28 AM
awbreyjd
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mudflap
If the emissions standards weren't in effect, we'd all be dead or dying by now. "F" the earth right? Remember, its your family and friends sitting behind these people trying to get an extra 2hp and acquiring lung cancer in the process.

Do you eat steak or drink milk. Maybe even some good ole american cheese. Even if you dont alot of us do. Gotta love Cows, the number 1 reason for methane pollution eating our ozone. Oh wait do you use a cell phone. yes I said it a miniscule thing but yep helps with cancer along with the 1 ****illion things in our world that do.

For the OP. Run cats or dont it really is your choice. Your one car isnt going to make or break the world. Nor is that one person who gets cancer gonna be behind your tailpipe sucking your exhaust until a tumor forms. Eco-cryers man. I suppose Polar bears are worse off today than 1950 as well right. Even considering their population has been growing steadily since then.

I will say from experience, with an O/R Xpipe and pypes pipe bomb exhaust the car is ridiculously loud.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:54 PM
Maraman
3rd Gear Member

All you guys bitching about emissions makes me sick..

AMERICA!!!!!!

Old 08-16-2012, 02:37 PM
Thundercloud

Decided on Kooks LT's with a Catted X pipe. Not that I am a Tree Hugger, but to not have my car smelling like a dump trunk and in talking with a few tuners they are saying the HP gain without Cat's is at best 2-3hp which isn't a big enough number to deal with the stink of a car I want to be able to get in a drive to Myrtle Beach for Mustang Week or whatever.

But Thanks to all those who replied it was some good info.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:16 AM
CrzyHrs
2nd Gear Member

Will you be installing the headers or will you have a shop do it?
Old 08-17-2012, 08:54 AM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Thundercloud
Decided on Kooks LT's with a Catted X pipe.
You mean the Kooks mid lengths.
Attached Thumbnails Catted X Pipe or Not???-kooks-midlengths.jpg  
Old 08-17-2012, 12:02 PM
Thundercloud

Crzyhrs,

Having a shop owned by two mechanics that worked for for Father for 20 yrs each do it. They opened their shop when my father retired, one of the guys is my half brother's uncle that I have known for 30 yrs, so it will basically be me and him in a full blown Automotive Shop, so I won't be lying on my back in my garage fighting with them.

Scottmach,

Nope, Ordered and paid for and have invoice showing Kooks Long Tube Headers so that is what better show up when the Big Brown trucks pulls up next week anyway.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:57 PM
Thundercloud

ScottMach,

I called Kooks after my last reply and you are correct, they said they just make headers that make power, and that too many people get hung up on whether they are shorty's or LT's. Although I ordered them through Maryland Speed and he was calling them that and my invoice says that???

I was leaning toward American Racing Header, until Maryland Speed gave me a sweet deal. And also finding out that AMH is made up of former Kooks employees and both are very much alike and of the same quality.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:14 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Thundercloud
ScottMach,

I called Kooks after my last reply and you are correct, they said they just make headers that make power, and that too many people get hung up on whether they are shorty's or LT's. Although I ordered them through Maryland Speed and he was calling them that and my invoice says that???

I was leaning toward American Racing Header, until Maryland Speed gave me a sweet deal. And also finding out that AMH is made up of former Kooks employees and both are very much alike and of the same quality.
You're not the only one. Everyone calls them longtubes EXCEPT Kooks but they are in fact mid length. No big deal as you made a great choice. Kooks makes great products and Kooks believes their mid lengths make as much if not more than everyone else's longtubes. And I believe them.

Did you get the 1 7/8 or the 1 3/4?

Last edited by scottmach; 08-17-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:43 PM
CrzyHrs
2nd Gear Member

You are lucky, I ended up doing mine on the ground... It wasn't THAT bad, beings I wasn't standing up ALL the time and I was working over my chest instead of over my head which I think is more comfortable. The install was a PITA though, the instructions say to install everything from the bottom but we ended up putting the drivers side in through the top... good luck you're going to love them!!!
Old 08-17-2012, 10:10 PM
Thundercloud

Originally Posted by scottmach
You're not the only one. Everyone calls them longtubes EXCEPT Kooks but they are in fact mid length. No big deal as you made a great choice. Kooks makes great products and Kooks believes their mid lengths make as much if not more than everyone else's longtubes. And I believe them.

Did you get the 1 7/8 or the 1 3/4?

I got the 1 3/4 per their recommendation since I did not plan on a super charger.

Quick Reply: Catted X Pipe or Not???