Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Please Advise on Diff V6 and 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 02:47 PM
GTC
1st Gear Member

Default Please Advise on Diff V6 and 5.0

I have a 2012 V6 Premium Coup Automatic with Pony Package that I have been exceedingly pleased with. Didn't get the GT mainly over the gas mileage combined with small 16 gallon gas tank = limited range. Still, now that I'm in the market again, I want to drive a '13 GT Coup Automatic as I am considering dropping the extra 8 large for my third Mustang and the legendary 5.0.

I understand that the engine by itself is enough reason to go with the GT. Could you tell me if there are other reasons that made you get the GT?

Thank you.

Last edited by GTC; 09-21-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:13 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

nope. unless you consider the aesthetic differences btw your 2012 and the 2013... oh, and the track apps if you get a premium, or the grin factor everytime you push down on the go fast pedal...

Don
Old 09-19-2012, 03:18 PM
TRexGAWD
4th Gear Member

The sound.. ha, really I can't think of any thing different besides the engine..
Old 09-19-2012, 03:51 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTC
I have a 2012 V6 Premium Coup Automatic with Pony Package that I have been exceedingly pleased with. Didn't get the GT mainly over the gas mileage combined with small 16 gallon gas tank = limited range. Friday, I am driving from Huntsville to Birmingham to drive a '13 GT Coup Automatic as I am considering dropping the extra 8 large for my third Mustang and the legendary 5.0.

I understand that the engine by itself is enough reason to go with the GT. Could you tell me if there are other reasons that made you get the GT?

Thank you.
First off, HELLO neighbor. I live in Decatur. Now down to business. The only difference to me is the "go" factor. I have a neighbor that has a black version of your car. Very nice looking car. Actually a good performer. Sub 6 second 0 -60 ain't exactly a slouch to me. I hear all the time that a Mustang is not a Mustang unless it is a V8. Bull. Owning a Mustang , GT or not, is a community. Yes, I like it when I step on it, and it goes. Aside from that, 80 (?) MPH down I-565 is the same no matter what you are in. Although we look better doing it in a Mustang!
Old 09-19-2012, 04:53 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

In the past they had different transmissions, looks the same now.

In the past The v6 lacks a LSD and has a 7.5" rear, compared to the LSD and 8.8", I'm not sure if that is still the same or not.

suspension now looks the same, in the past they used to be different.

At this point it almost makes me wonder why bother with a GT for nearly 9k more for only an engine? although that also explains why a V6 now is only $1,000 less than the sticker price on my 2007 GT, just 5 years later.

Last edited by Mishri; 09-19-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:49 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mishri
At this point it almost makes me wonder why bother with a GT for nearly 9k more for only an engine? although that also explains why a V6 now is only $1,000 less than the sticker price on my 2007 GT, just 5 years later.
Exactly. In fact, the Premium Mustang my neighbor has is a very good looking car. Black w/ factory chrome wheels. I have rode in it. It is not a slouch by any means. Been trying to talk him into custom tuning it as well. 6 speed auto with 3.15's. He gets an average of 28-29 MPG on the highway. Like I said, not bad at all for a sub 6 second 0-60 in my book. His interior is a 401A. Black on black. In an interior contest his wins hands down on mine as I have the 400A. Clean it up and it looks really good,
Old 09-19-2012, 06:17 PM
GTC
1st Gear Member

Wow. Thank you. that gives me some good owner perspective for sure.

MAPITTS: I actually went over the river to Lynn Layton Ford as the web was showing a red GT Auto Premium in stock. Literally as I arrived, the car was leaving due to dealer a dealer trade. Are you a member of RCMC? Made my first meeting last night at Logan's.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:39 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTC
Wow. Thank you. that gives me some good owner perspective for sure.

MAPITTS: I actually went over the river to Lynn Layton Ford as the web was showing a red GT Auto Premium in stock. Literally as I arrived, the car was leaving due to dealer a dealer trade. Are you a member of RCMC? Made my first meeting last night at Logan's.
No. I have thought about it though. I have been to some of their shows. Have you looked over in Florence at Long Lewis? If it was the red one I have seen the one with the Brembo brake package, it was a head turner.

Last edited by mapitts; 09-19-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:10 PM
mustangergt
1st Gear Member

Default v6 to v8

This is just my opinion, you need to choose.

I had a 2011 V6, auto, black. 2:73 rear. My mods were:
C&L CAI, Bama tunes, BBK long tube headers, BBK X pipe, magnaflow, and finally 3:73 gears. That car was fast.

Now I have a 2013 GT/CS, auto: Mods
Borla S type, awesome, and FRPP tune from Ford. Really awesome.
The sound must say, more awesome and this car, well, I thought my V6 was fast...this car is a blast.
The track apps, fun, sport mode shifting , fun..the sound system improved.

I say, get it, you will love it.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:53 AM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

What are your car specs? If you read mustangergt's above post you can spend some of that $8K on go fast goodies and still end up with a car that will perform very well and is really faster than a lot of the pre '11 GT's. Not to mention cheaper insurance.

Quick Reply: Please Advise on Diff V6 and 5.0