Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Should I replace the Roush Mufflers in my 2012 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 03:17 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by jbucklin
Thanks Don. I am curious about the GT500s. How do they compare volume-wise to the Roushes? I can probably hear them on YouTube but that would give me no idea of how loud they are---just the tone.
jbucklin,

Go with the GT500 mufflers! You'll be very happy with these, they're much more quite and have way less rasp. My favorite setup is LT headers, O/R Xpipe and GT500 mufflers. These mufflers are able to tone down the volume of LT's and an O/R mid-pipe easily, while keeping exhaust flow and tone. It sound like the GT500 mufflers are exactly what you're looking for IMO.

Hope this helps!

Shane
Old 10-15-2012, 03:25 PM
UberDuper
1st Gear Member

The roushes aren't THAT loud. Just pull up in 3rd.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:10 PM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Just bought a used 2012 GT with a Roush exhaust system. It is so freaking LOUD! Although I have heard that they increase the HP and improve the gas mileage
No they don't increase power or gas mileage.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:23 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky
jbucklin,

Go with the GT500 mufflers! You'll be very happy with these, they're much more quite and have way less rasp. My favorite setup is LT headers, O/R Xpipe and GT500 mufflers. These mufflers are able to tone down the volume of LT's and an O/R mid-pipe easily, while keeping exhaust flow and tone. It sound like the GT500 mufflers are exactly what you're looking for IMO.

Hope this helps!

Shane
I love my Roush, but I am stock other than the Roush mufflers. If I changed anything else, O/R mid-pipe or headers they would be way too loud.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:59 PM
AMWill
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by alan0614
I love my Roush, but I am stock other than the Roush mufflers. If I changed anything else, O/R mid-pipe or headers they would be way too loud.
Don't get me wrong. The Roush is an awesome cat-back, especially if the rest of your exhaust is stock. In fact, the reason I like LT's, O/R Xpipe, and GT500 mufflers so much is because they are more similar to a Roush cat-back with a stock mid-pipe!

Shane
Old 10-19-2012, 07:09 PM
RI_2011_GT

The Roush axle back is all Roush puts on the Mustangs they sell. They don't do any other exhaust mods. I swapped the Flow Masters that my car came with for Roush. I also run the Roush TVS Supercharger
Old 10-20-2012, 01:06 PM
jbucklin

I'm loving the Roush mufflers btw. Forget my original post!
Old 10-21-2012, 05:35 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

+1 for headers and gt500s. but with cats. Are you backing up to the house? I've heard both systems and they are not that different from each other at idle-2k volume wise.

Also saving 20-40 lbs over the stock mufflers is a plus.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:17 AM
solaratomic
2nd Gear Member

I'm loving the Roush mufflers btw. Forget my original post!
What swayed you? I'm still up in the air about which axle backs to get, to be honest I'm afraid the roushes will be too loud. I want something "Middle of the Road" with no drone. I was looking at the corsa sports but they sure are proud of them.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:30 AM
jbucklin

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by solaratomic
What swayed you? I'm still up in the air about which axle backs to get, to be honest I'm afraid the roushes will be too loud. I want something "Middle of the Road" with no drone. I was looking at the corsa sports but they sure are proud of them.
The sound. At first I thought they would drown out the music from the awesome sound system but I realized that the Roushes are a music all their own! They are the loudest during acceleration but I hear the music just fine when cruising at 2000 rpm, even with the drone. The Roushes are simply amazing and if you should choose to get them, take a week before deciding whether or not you like them.

Quick Reply: Should I replace the Roush Mufflers in my 2012 GT?