Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

My Deal For A GT Died Today Over Acoustic Porting - Any Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 12:46 AM
UofHmustang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by duckbubbles
For $19? I can come up with something just as effective for free.

Frank
Like turn the radio up.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:45 AM
GTC
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by UofHmustang
No offense, but maybe they'd be better off without you as a customer if you're going to whine about hearing the noise of your car's V-8 and going end a deal because of it. If you want a GT, get a GT. Otherwise move on. It's not fair to them or reasonable to expect a brand new car to be tinkered with. What happens when you complain about what they did to "fix" the issue?
I am not the only one whining smart aleck. This issue has irritated customers and reviewers alike. Most recently in Wired magazine's October 30 review of the Boss 302 they said in their con section: "Engine note is more annoyingly droning with the windows up than down." http://www.wired.com/reviews/2012/10...rmance-sedans/. Exactly my issue. Which explains why companies like Shrader Performance are offering fixes to this known issue or irritant. And of course this car is going to be tinkered with. As Autoweek points out in their 2013 review, one of the great appeals to the masses of the Mustang is its' "plenty of aftermarket support." So no. I didn't take delivery because I had some research to do after the test drive. As it turns out, this is not only a known irritant for some, but easily fixable. Thankfully, the dealer didn't make the statement, "maybe we'd be better off without you as a customer." You just get that kind of crap on forums.

Last edited by GTC; 11-02-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:56 AM
BTR-75
1st Gear Member

I just stick baseball cards on my wheels, love the sound.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:23 AM
UofHmustang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GTC
I am not the only one whining smart aleck. This issue has irritated customers and reviewers alike. Most recently in Wired magazine's October 30 review of the Boss 302 they said in their con section: "Engine note is more annoyingly droning with the windows up than down." http://www.wired.com/reviews/2012/10...rmance-sedans/. Exactly my issue. Which explains why companies like Shrader Performance are offering fixes to this known issue or irritant. And of course this car is going to be tinkered with. As Autoweek points out in their 2013 review, one of the great appeals to the masses of the Mustang is its' "plenty of aftermarket support." So no. I didn't take delivery because I had some research to do after the test drive. As it turns out, this is not only a known irritant for some, but easily fixable. Thankfully, the dealer didn't make the statement, "maybe we'd be better off without you as a customer." You just get that kind of crap on forums.
I wasn't being sarcastic. I was being sincere. You definitely don't sound like someone I'd want to have as a customer. At some point you just have to say, "this is the product we have". I have the same setup and don't notice a thing.

Last edited by UofHmustang; 11-02-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:03 AM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

Originally Posted by duckbubbles
For $19? I can come up with something just as effective for free.

Frank
No doubt. I was just offering as an option.

Originally Posted by Derf00
Most newer cars are doing some sort of artificial sound modding since they have made the cars so quiet that you can't hear the exhaust note from inside the car...BTW BMW's M5 answer is not even that but rather a sound generator or as they call it "active sound system" so essentially electronically generated engine noises...

Power wheels anyone...?
I think VW actually uses some sort of speaker
Old 11-02-2012, 11:36 AM
duckbubbles
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by UofHmustang
I have the same setup and don't notice a thing.
I really can't tell much for sound on mine either. Maybe it's 40+ years working on airplanes. My irritation with it is because it makes pulling the dipstick more of a hassle (along with the tower brace) and the tube won't stay in the rubber loop that attaches to the strut tower. Just more clutter on the drivers side.

Frank
Old 11-02-2012, 12:23 PM
mph07alloy
3rd Gear Member

I plugged up mine sound tube using the little rubber things that go on the bottom of a folding chair, took maybe 5 minutes.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:28 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

I agree the sound tube is pretty stupid. It hasn't bothered me enough to do anything about it. But I am tempted to see the difference if I did cap it. Most of my highway trips are long (3.5 hours each way) so I listen to books, i really have to crank it up, i'll bet my ears would thank me if I could turn it down a bit.

It's fun and nice to hear in some circumstances, but constantly is pretty pointless.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:53 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

A set of long tubes and a good set of mufflers will take care of that tube. I cant even heard mine but granted im drowning out Harley's with the exhuast on the boss.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:03 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

It was mentioned that salad dressing caps were a near perfect fit. Get a rubber grommet for the fire wall from your auto store and you're set.

Though the sound tube by most of us on the forums is a bit silly, think about the majority of GT buyers, sadly not represented on this forum, and what they use the car for. The sound tube is there for the people who want to experience the rush of throttle happy runs without Ford making the car loud and having problems with government regulations. Keeping it quiet caters to a wider range of people, those who want it loud the "normal" way all know how to accomplish this, and those, typically older and/or wormen (no offense intended) who want the car just to say they have it and can use the power occasionally without the relative annoyance of loud exhaust.

Quick Reply: My Deal For A GT Died Today Over Acoustic Porting - Any Suggestions?