Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

MGW Finally!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 02:55 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

allenmaty glad to hear that it is what you were expecting. Still enjoying mine still. I have found myself trying to shift further than I should with the shorter throw. You know what gear you are in and what gear you are headed to.

clowe1965 that is why me and my wife do not give each other Christmas presents. We always figure that we have bought what we wanted or needed through the year. Mostly wanted. I will say that my wife does not beat me over the head with the stuff that I buy though.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:47 PM
HsvGT
1st Gear Member

Ha ha ha. Yes I am. The wife has been great though. Got my Stang a little over 3 months ago, and I haven't stopped spending on it yet. She hasn't complained at all.

Originally Posted by mapitts
You must be like me...........married. Put your foot down and do what you wife tells you! Congrats!
Old 12-14-2012, 07:48 PM
HsvGT
1st Gear Member

Yep, I knew exactly what it was when it got here. It is torture knowing it is here. That's the fun of Christmas. Ha ha ha.

Originally Posted by clowe1965
Thats the problem with christmas gifts for your car, odds are your wife will have to ask you which part it is, you'll recognize the box if you see it in the mail, and now your left waiting knowing what it is until that date. Extra bit of torture that wat i guess.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:27 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

HsvGt just cruised over to your part of the world to see the Galaxy of Lights. A lot bigger than when we saw it 6 or 7 years ago. Then over to Cheeburger Cheeburger for a bite to eat. Years ago when we did Christmas with each other I got my wife a bracelet or something. Can't remember, but it was small. Wrapped it up really well and then put it in a box with a couple of big bolts and some small peices of angle to make a lot of noise. She could never figure out what it was. Then one year I was trying to talk her into opening them up on the day before Christmas Eve. I knew she would not bite, so I was acting like I was nervous about what I got her. She ended up opening everything and she was pissed when she figured out what I was up to. I got to open mine and that was all I was after.
Old 12-14-2012, 09:24 PM
HsvGT
1st Gear Member

I think we are planning on going to the Galaxy of Lights next week. It's been a couple years since I was there last. I heard they have been getting bigger and bigger and it sounds like they have. I always mess with her gifts, putting a gift in bigger boxes and weighing them down, or having a crappy gift in the box and hiding a better one in there. Never tried your trick though, just might have to do that soon. I'm just like one of the kids around this time.

I see that you have 3.73 gears. Did you get them installed, or did they come from the factory like that? I'd like to get 3.73s, but I haven't found anyone around here I would trust to do them.

HsvGt just cruised over to your part of the world to see the Galaxy of Lights. A lot bigger than when we saw it 6 or 7 years ago. Then over to Cheeburger Cheeburger for a bite to eat. Years ago when we did Christmas with each other I got my wife a bracelet or something. Can't remember, but it was small. Wrapped it up really well and then put it in a box with a couple of big bolts and some small peices of angle to make a lot of noise. She could never figure out what it was. Then one year I was trying to talk her into opening them up on the day before Christmas Eve. I knew she would not bite, so I was acting like I was nervous about what I got her. She ended up opening everything and she was pissed when she figured out what I was up to. I got to open mine and that was all I was after.
Old 12-15-2012, 08:16 AM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

They were factory installed. What gears do you have? 3:73's have pluses and draw backs with the 5.0 IMHO. I really need to put a pic of mine w/ options & mods like a lot of people have in their posts. My Mustang is Performance White w/ black over the hood/top/trunk Super Snake stripes. Only one I have ever seen like that.

Last edited by mapitts; 12-15-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:36 PM
HsvGT
1st Gear Member

They are 3.31s if I am not mistaken. I don't think going up to 3.55s would be worth it, and my girl is a DD, so I think 4.10s would be too much.

Yes, you definitely need to post some pics. I am going back and forth on whether to put stripes on, or just leave her solid black.

They were factory installed. What gears do you have? 3:73's have pluses and draw backs with the 5.0 IMHO. I really need to put a pic of mine w/ options & mods like a lot of people have in their posts. My Mustang is Performance White w/ black over the hood/top/trunk Super Snake stripes. Only one I have ever seen like that.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:27 PM
mapitts
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by HsvGT
They are 3.31s if I am not mistaken. I don't think going up to 3.55s would be worth it, and my girl is a DD, so I think 4.10s would be too much.

Yes, you definitely need to post some pics. I am going back and forth on whether to put stripes on, or just leave her solid black.
With the power band of the new 5.0, the gear selection has changed a lot IMHO. If you do a lot of open road driving and love the "snap your neck" effect, then 3:73's are the way to go. With that being said, the 5.0 has more than enough power to run a set of 3:31's with no problem. I really think a 0-60 would be done faster w/ 3:31's as opposed to 3:73's. You are changing gears 2 times to get there while I am changing 3 times. Just my opinion and nothing else. I will say this though. I have a friend that bought a 2011 Hemi Charger. He wanted to "compare" the 2. I left him like he had the parking brake on. I mean it was bad. The over all consenus from what I can gather is that 3:73's are the set to have. I just think that 3:31's are a far better gear set with the 5.0 than it was in the 4.6. With 3:73's I can press it and burn all the way 3rd gear and bark HARD going into 4th @ 80. I do not do it that often. If i had a better set of tires, ie. stickier, I would launch a whole lot quicker with less wheel spin. Now I need to figure out how tho post a pic of my car at the bottom of my posts. I am very computer illiterate. Sorry.

Last edited by mapitts; 12-15-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:07 AM
HsvGT
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the feedback. 3.73s just sound like so much fun. It will be a while before I get them though. The price isn't too bad, but the cost of a install and finding someone to do it is the key thing. I would only take it to a expert gear shop or a ford racing dealer to get it done. I have heard a lot of stories of installs that aren't done correctly.

I am great at hijacking a thread; I tell ya. Ha ha ha. Back to the thread topic, it is killing me having my MGW in a box here and not be able to open it or install them / get them installed. At the very latest it will happen the week after Christmas.

With the power band of the new 5.0, the gear selection has changed a lot IMHO. If you do a lot of open road driving and love the "snap your neck" effect, then 3:73's are the way to go. With that being said, the 5.0 has more than enough power to run a set of 3:31's with no problem. I really think a 0-60 would be done faster w/ 3:31's as opposed to 3:73's. You are changing gears 2 times to get there while I am changing 3 times. Just my opinion and nothing else. I will say this though. I have a friend that bought a 2011 Hemi Charger. He wanted to "compare" the 2. I left him like he had the parking brake on. I mean it was bad. The over all consenus from what I can gather is that 3:73's are the set to have. I just think that 3:31's are a far better gear set with the 5.0 than it was in the 4.6. With 3:73's I can press it and burn all the way 3rd gear and bark HARD going into 4th @ 80. I do not do it that often. If i had a better set of tires, ie. stickier, I would launch a whole lot quicker with less wheel spin. Now I need to figure out how tho post a pic of my car at the bottom of my posts. I am very computer illiterate. Sorry.
Old 12-16-2012, 07:40 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Now I need to figure out how tho post a pic of my car at the bottom of my posts. I am very computer illiterate. Sorry.
Post the picture you want on photos.google.com or some other photo sharing website. Right click on the picture and click copy picture location. Go to you CP and edit signature, then click the post photo icon to insert a photo. Paste the picture url link in the pop up window and save the signature. Done. Just size the photo appropriately for sigs first.

Don't feel bad, i didnt know how for the first 6 months on here. But i did find out the first site i used wouldnt let me copy the image location, so it didnt work at all. You'll have to watch out for that.

Quick Reply: MGW Finally!!