Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Got my Boss 302 side exhaust today!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 12:38 AM
AZAlloy
3rd Gear Member

Default Got my Boss 302 side exhaust today!

Wahoo!! Christmas come early! Got my Boss 302 side exit exhaust today. Planning on putting it on tomorrow or Saturday. It's gonna be interesting without any baffles. I may use drilled out baffles if it is too much. The car is a DD and I'm not trying to be obnoxious.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:18 AM
Scott2
2nd Gear Member

Good luck with the install!
Old 12-14-2012, 11:22 PM
AZAlloy
3rd Gear Member

Well. I took me about an hour and a half by myself to remove the old h pipe and install the new one with the side pipes. Honestly, the side pipes themselves took about 10 minutes each side. Holding up the new H and tightening it down at the same time was the trickiest part. My thoughts on the initial 30 mile drive:

Acceleration has never sounded better. It is the smoothest aggressive note I have heard. Acceleration with no one around is perfect. In traffic the sound can be a tad loud, but that's only because I am used to the GT500s.

I couldn't stop smiling. I had Borla S Type for a little bit and thought it was too much. The on freeway tone is a slight drone when any load or decel is happening. With any amount of volume on the radio it really can't be heard. Probably about the same as my old S types.

The great thing about this setup is the fact that I can make it as loud or as quiet as I want, with just replacing the baffle, getting different sized baffles, or putting in place an electric butterfly valve (which I plan to down the road). I couldn't be happier. Fitment is abvoously perfect and the sound is pure sex.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:48 AM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Nice, couldnt bring myself to spend 700 on the setup or else id have it. Owell, mines plenty loud now :-D. Since youre going to make different plates anyway, try putting holes of different sizes on each side to eliminate drone. Say one at 1/2 and one at 1/4". Might change the harmonics enough to prevent resonance.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:15 AM
AZAlloy
3rd Gear Member

Yea. I need to do more research on which plate size to go with. For everyday use and working nights, the open exhaust is a tad much.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:07 PM
Boss_Hotrod
5th Gear Member

No plate . Throw the Borla's back on and youll love it. Be warned though if you put headers on it she'll get very loud.

Kook's 1-7/8" headers, Catted Boss H-pipe, sotck resonators, and Borla S type axle back on my Boss. Sounds like a Nascar cup car.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:09 AM
Jay_C123
2nd Gear Member

COngrats man. Im also thinking about getting this. I have my Borla S-Type and Love them to death. I was wondering tho, how it sounds (the Borlas and Side exhaust together) Could you post a video? (If you still have them that is.) Also any Drone?
Also forgive my ignorance but any idea if a X-pipe could be used instead of a H?
Old 12-18-2012, 07:14 PM
Jivefive0
1st Gear Member

congrats man, any vids?
Old 12-18-2012, 09:43 PM
AZAlloy
3rd Gear Member

Hey guys. As far as an X version, Ford Racing does make an X version of this, but only for the S197 platform with the 4.6.

So I have tested plates with 3/4" holes and also plates with 1" holes. It definitely quiets the exhaust, but it gets rid of the "growl." You still get a lot of the bass and sound, but the very cool, distinct sound these were tuned for goes away quite a bit.

So, I have decided to leave them open. I'm going to add QTP's Boss 302 electric valve kit to shut them when I want it quiet. The valves can also be opened part way so I can change how loud I want to make it.

Sorry, I don't have the Borlas any more. Just my GT500s for the rear. I haven't taken any videos yet since I am still figuring things out. I will throw the Go Pro on the car when I get some free time to go driving.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:33 AM
Jay_C123
2nd Gear Member

sounds great cant wait for the vids

Quick Reply: Got my Boss 302 side exhaust today!