Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Thinking about supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 02:25 AM
Chris06GT
1st Gear Member

Default Thinking about supercharger

Hi everyone,

This could be a long post.....

Let me start out by saying that I'm new to the tuning/induction world, but I have been doing some reading, both on here and elsewhere.

I installed the FRPP calibration last year ('12 GT), and although I thought it improved the driving experience, now I'm thinking that's it's not enough

I was thinking about getting a CAI and tune, but then I thought why not go all out.
I was looking at the FRPP 525HP kit since my friend could get me a deal, however, he's since left that job, so no more deal. I've been looking at the Roush 575HP kit.

Can someone with experience add any information to the questions below? I haven't been able to find as much detail as I wanted:

- Will the Roush fit with the FRPP strut tower brace? The car is in storage so I can't look at it to see

- I've seen that roots type supercharger can run hot, or hotter than twin screw. Is this a big issue? Will I need to look at heat extracting at some point? Is it truly just bolt on and go, or are there other things I need to upgrade?

- How much extra maintenance does the supercharger need? I see a lot of items that just say to watch the belt and replace the oil at the suggested interval, is this it?

- I've also read that the 5.0 can handle that much power, but perhaps the clutch doesn't. Can someone elaborate? I haven't been able to find any details about this

- Is anyone able to compare the two superchargers? I like that the Roush is less expensive, has a 3 year warranty, and apparently you can get Roush warranty work done at most Ford dealers. How about performance or reliability?

Thanks for any information you can provide. Anything is appreciated, and thanks for reading this far.

Chris
Old 02-16-2013, 03:03 AM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

I am no expert but I will try to answer.

- Will the Roush fit with the FRPP strut tower brace? The car is in storage so I can't look at it to see

no - and i imagine you will have a problem with any other positive displacement supercharger in this regard

- I've seen that roots type supercharger can run hot, or hotter than twin screw. Is this a big issue? Will I need to look at heat extracting at some point? Is it truly just bolt on and go, or are there other things I need to upgrade?

if you track the car, this can definitely be an issue!! for casual use, you can also notice at times on really hot days, at stop lights or other areas you are forced to stop for a bit, but you get out of the slump quickly once you have some air moving around again.

- How much extra maintenance does the supercharger need? I see a lot of items that just say to watch the belt and replace the oil at the suggested interval, is this it?

that's pretty much it - watch the belt, change the oil every once in a blue moon (super long intervals!), and probably change your engine oil a little more frequently than you used to. easy peazy

- I've also read that the 5.0 can handle that much power, but perhaps the clutch doesn't. Can someone elaborate? I haven't been able to find any details about this

from what I've read my 'comfort level' is in the middle 500s WHP. I think it can take it, but as with anything.. it's a risk you have to be willing to accept. people seem to be making the stock clutch last pretty good at higher power levels, I would just budget and be prepared to replace it as needed!

- Is anyone able to compare the two superchargers? I like that the Roush is less expensive, has a 3 year warranty, and apparently you can get Roush warranty work done at most Ford dealers. How about performance or reliability?

if warranty is important to you, then that is not a bad route to go. bear in mind, the warranty is through roush, or FRPP, not Ford itself. that isn't a terrible thing, just something to be aware of.

are you against a centrifugal supercharger set up? the vortech/paxton units offer one hell of a bang for the buck and are not as prone to heat soak.

Last edited by Entaille; 02-16-2013 at 03:06 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:39 AM
908ssp
3rd Gear Member

Roots types and TVS run cooler than twin screw not hotter 95% of the time. The only time a TS has an advantage is at wide open throttle and how often is that?
Old 02-16-2013, 03:01 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Sleeper_GT has the FRPP GT500 Strut brace and the Roush TVS Blower, so yes it fits.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/memb...eeper-gt1.html

Also you'll need the oil separators for both sides to help with oil consumption. The warranty Roush offers is 3 years on the Roush supplied parts, not your engine.

Your clutch life will be effected if you are dumping it and power shifting, but it should not decrease the life dramatically simply because of the supercharger. Getting softer/bigger tires will affect it, as at stock levels your tires have the least friction in the driveline instead of the clutch.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:48 PM
Chris06GT
1st Gear Member

Thanks everyone, some good information here. I'll respond to a couple of points.

Entaille- Thanks for all the info. I'm not against a centrifugal type, but I've read that they work better as the RPM's build. I'd be looking for a little more lower end oompph (to use the technical term)

908ssp- This is different than what I've seen...I guess I'll have to research a little more

clowe1965- Thanks for the link to Sleeper_GT, very helpful. Can you provide some more information about the oil separators (ie. brand, part number, whatever). I'm curious, and to be honest, not quite sure how it works.

Chris
Old 02-16-2013, 06:03 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Here's the link to my build thread as well. I sent you a PM with my phone number bro. Give me a call. I can answer your questions and we can discuss parts.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/gt-s...-new-ride.html

Last edited by Sleeper_GT; 02-16-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:25 PM
Entaille
4th Gear Member

http://www.americanmuscle.com/jlt-bl...or-1112gt.html

oil catch cans. some description/reviews there.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:53 PM
gs462
1st Gear Member

I posted a question on SVTP about superchargers and BJ from VMP posted this kit as his answer, he says itll make 650 RWHP on a 5.0

http://vmptuning.com/index.php?p=product&id=1466
Old 02-19-2013, 08:49 AM
awbreyjd
2nd Gear Member

I am a fan of the vortech kit. made 721hp/525tq on 10.5lbs of boost. but I am not stock. with just blower I was at 622hp
Old 02-19-2013, 08:02 PM
gs462
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by awbreyjd
I am a fan of the vortech kit. made 721hp/525tq on 10.5lbs of boost. but I am not stock. with just blower I was at 622hp
Are you quoting RWHP numbers??

Quick Reply: Thinking about supercharger