Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Cold start/idling issues

Old 04-12-2013, 11:17 AM
miller89
2nd Gear Member

Default Cold start/idling issues

Hello all I just have a quick question regarding an idling issue. It doesn't do it all the time and only seems to do it when the motor is cold. The car normally cold idles around 1200, but on these occasions I will start the car up and the revs will change , like it bogs down a bit to just under 1000 and fluctuates up and down. The motor wont stall or anything, it is just a bit alarming to me when Its never done it before until recently. I am just worried something may be wrong with my motor. Is this an issue I should be worried about? My mod's are a bama 91 tune, o/r lethal x pipe, and jlt intake. I have a 2013 mustang GT. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Old 04-12-2013, 02:54 PM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

Did this issue show up before or after your Bama tune?
Old 04-12-2013, 03:01 PM
BairdGT
2nd Gear Member

I had the same issue with my 2013 GT after I installed my Roush Axleback exhaust.. I would fire it up after it being left overnight and it fires up into fast idle and slowly idles down bogs to the point I thought it would stall out but it wouldnt... when I installed the Steeda Intake and Bama Tuning this problem actually went away for me..
Old 04-12-2013, 03:09 PM
miller89
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by dominant1
Did this issue show up before or after your Bama tune?
Yes after I installed the tune. It only did it once or twice after. But over the past few days it has done a few times which is concerning me. It drives fine, I haven't noticed anything else wrong with it, no warning lights, nothing unusual on my gauges.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:14 PM
BairdGT
2nd Gear Member

Miller: are you by any chance kicking it out of fast idle rather then letting it run itself outta fast idle? That's when mine used to do it was i'd fire it up initial fast idle like 1500-1700rpm then slowly drop down but I would tap the gas to kick it out of fast idle without letting it warm up and that it would do the bog thing..
Old 04-12-2013, 03:21 PM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

Call bama get a revised tune , they'll fix it!
Old 04-12-2013, 03:23 PM
miller89
2nd Gear Member

I really don't think I am kicking it out of fast idle it doesn't rev up before it bogs down a bit. It's not an outrageous amount that it bogs down, but it's noticeable.
Old 04-12-2013, 03:33 PM
BairdGT
2nd Gear Member

it sounds almost exactly like my GT when i only had Roush axleback exhaust (pre tuner) it would bog and a few times almost sounded like it was gonna stall out then after like a couple min of running it would idle fine. I had this issue go away after the intake/tuner installed.. have you tried just loading the performance tune to see if it still does it?
Old 04-12-2013, 03:49 PM
miller89
2nd Gear Member

No I haven't, I guess there is no need for me to drive around with a race tune. I should probably swap it to performance. Do you have any idea what the issue might be? Can it damage my motor at all? I just get worried since my warranty is obviously void
Old 04-12-2013, 07:17 PM
BairdGT
2nd Gear Member

You got a 2013 you still got warranty, as long as the warranty issue isnt caused specifically by the tuner you keep your warranty.

I would try the performance tune see if that fixes it.. as for why not sure when you got the tuner did you list all your mods? in my case I assumed it was exhaust issue as it was the only mod I had when it started doing it. you have modded your exhaust so I would guess the same for your issue

Posted from MustangForums.com App for Android

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cold start/idling issues