Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Cabin Filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 04:13 PM
Mustang Enthusiast
1st Gear Member

Default Cabin Filter

Does anyone know how to change the cabin filter on a 2012 GT? I'm not sure if you have to release the glove box and get behind it, or is the filter up and under the glove box? Thanks for any information.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:20 PM
jesse1125
2nd Gear Member

I believe you get to it from under the hood. It should be on the passenger side
Old 08-06-2013, 04:23 PM
jesse1125
2nd Gear Member

Found this on youtube

Old 08-06-2013, 04:24 PM
jesse1125
2nd Gear Member

Found this on youtube

Last edited by jesse1125; 08-06-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:57 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Replacing the cabin air filter on a '12 already? I understand that the cabin air filter plays a vital role in having clean air in the cabin. I, personally, don't see the need since I go from the house to the car without a dust mask on my face and I often drive with the windows open. But for all the time we spend in our car vs. the amount of time outdoors or anywhere else there's unfiltered air, by all means change it weekly.

So much for my sarcasm. The cabin air filter has to be one of the most ridiculous things the car manufacturers have pulled over our eyes. Look at the millions their partners-in-crime that manufacture those oh-so-necessary filters make each year. How has mankind survived for so long without cabin air filters?
Old 08-06-2013, 11:00 PM
Mustang Enthusiast
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jesse1125
Thank you Jesse for finding the video. I appreciate it.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:13 PM
Mustang Enthusiast
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
Replacing the cabin air filter on a '12 already? I understand that the cabin air filter plays a vital role in having clean air in the cabin. I, personally, don't see the need since I go from the house to the car without a dust mask on my face and I often drive with the windows open. But for all the time we spend in our car vs. the amount of time outdoors or anywhere else there's unfiltered air, by all means change it weekly.

So much for my sarcasm. The cabin air filter has to be one of the most ridiculous things the car manufacturers have pulled over our eyes. Look at the millions their partners-in-crime that manufacture those oh-so-necessary filters make each year. How has mankind survived for so long without cabin air filters?
Rick, the reason I wanted to find out how to replace the cabin filter is because my air conditioning is lacking a little bit. The filter is usually the easiest and least expensive place to start (a leak not withstanding). I have owned previous vehicles were the air conditioning was cool, but not quite were it was supposed to be. Once I replaced the cabin filter, it was good again. Of course if that doesn't do the job, then I will have the system checked. You should see what a two year old filter can look like, you might be surprised at how dirty they can get and the impact it can have on airflow.( I received my Mustang in Sept. 2011) I do like to use my AC from time to time since I live in a semi tropical climate.

Last edited by Mustang Enthusiast; 08-06-2013 at 11:18 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:14 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I replaced my cabin air filter after 2 1/2 years but only because I had never seen one before and was curious. It's been about 4 years since and I have no plans to replace it again.

As far as improving the a/c, I could understand seeing an improvement of outside airflow but not a change in outlet temperature. But whatever seems to work...
Old 08-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Mustang Enthusiast
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nuke
I replaced my cabin air filter after 2 1/2 years but only because I had never seen one before and was curious. It's been about 4 years since and I have no plans to replace it again.

As far as improving the a/c, I could understand seeing an improvement of outside airflow but not a change in outlet temperature. But whatever seems to work...
"As the temperature outside climbs, we want cold air conditioning inside our cars. And that means that everything has to work perfectly. Now one of the things that’s frequently overlooked is something that most; not all, but most cars have. And that is a cabin air filter. It filters all of the air that comes in to the inside of the car. Well as they get dirty, they block the amount of air that can circulate through the car, and that reduces the cooling efficiency of the air conditioning system. So if your car has a cabin air filter, and the A/C ‘s not working properly, well check the cabin air filter first".

Also, the center of this condenser could be blocked.

"It happens because there’s an electric cooling fan that’s pushing stuff right through this spot, and it all collects there, and blocks air flow over a period of time. Now the other thing that happens is that this is very close to the radiator, and leaves and debris pile up between the condenser and the radiator. How do you keep it clean? Every time you wash the car, wash your condenser with your garden hose".

www.Motorweek.com

You might want to rethink changing your Cabin Air Filter.

Last edited by Mustang Enthusiast; 08-07-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:39 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Son of a ....... SOBs told me they checked and there wasn't a cabin filter in the 11+ cars. They are supposed to replace them for free as needed per my maintenance package. I even asked about it when they did the AC Clutch repair...."These cars don't have Cabin Air Filters." Grrrrr!

Quick Reply: Cabin Filter