Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Boss intake upgrade with my mods?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Flyinrazrback

Default Boss intake upgrade with my mods?

Hello, new to the forum. I have a 2013 GT, long tube headers, x-pipe with no cats, flowmaster exhaust, cold air intake and custom tune, 3.73 gears. I have read about losing a bit of low end with the boss intake but would it be a worthwhile upgrade with the mods I have? How about upgrading the throttle body too? The car is already pretty quick, but curious what kind of gains I could get with the new intake and throttle body with a new tune. Thanks!
Old 08-10-2013, 05:33 PM
Deranged2013
1st Gear Member

It may lose a little torque down low but most people don't feel a difference. The Boss manifold shines in the upper Rpm range and will continue to make power at 7500 rpms plus. The stock GT manifold starts dropping off around 6800 rpms.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:13 PM
Shane780
1st Gear Member

Default boss intake

Lots of folks have switched back to the GT Manifold, from the Boss so be aware of that. Its a nice looking intake, If you added cams too it would be
ideal.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:35 AM
Flyinrazrback

Why they going back o the GT manifold?
Old 08-11-2013, 10:27 AM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

First time I have heard of people going back. Is this more than one "people" or just one you know of cause there is a difference there.
Old 08-11-2013, 04:11 PM
NAVYMAN
1st Gear Member

we have pretty close to the same set up and I love the Boss manifold. With the 3.73's you wont really be able to feel the torque loss. To me it makes the car that much more fun to drive because it pulls all the way to the rev limiter (I set mine at 7200 for street use and 7500 for the track use.) If you drive your car spiritedly then you will like it, If you just put put around town then you probably wont like it.

As for the throttle body everything I "heard" is that unless you are boosted than you are better off spending the money else where. If you have a manual I would recommend the Barton short shifter and 2 post bracket for less than what you would spend on the TB, You might even be able to throw some lower control arms in there to depending on which TB you were looking at.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:28 PM
Flyinrazrback

Navy, thanks for the info.I might give the intake a shot. At this point I can't enjoy the power I have it just wants to spin and spin. Going to order some good lower control arms and see I that helps. I don't know how the supercharged cars get any traction . I would love to add a pro charger or vortech but figured it would just melt the tires.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:35 PM
DocSnickers
3rd Gear Member

You running with TC off?
Old 08-12-2013, 05:48 AM
Flyinrazrback

Originally Posted by DocSnickers
You running with TC off?
No, I have it on.
Old 08-12-2013, 01:54 PM
LaMotta
Former Sponsor

The Boss Intake although a nice looking piece really isn't worth the money. It really doesn't do enough to warrant the amount of money it is. You will lose power and torque down low and you really don't pick up much up top. It just let's you rev your car higher which the stocker can do fine as well with or without boost. We've taken the stock manifold up at 7500 as well and there is no difference really. Most people take them off due to the noticeable loss down low unless your have an auto or a gear which you have 3.73's so you may not feel it but realistically your money can be better spent elsewhere! hope this helps. also may want to look into the new cobra jet manifold with gt500 throttlebody if you're looking to stay n/a. but for all the money all this comes to it'll never touch the capabilities of a blower of course and we have done all of them including the new i-1 procharger. If you need any further assistance we can help you and order anything you need!

Quick Reply: Boss intake upgrade with my mods?