Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

5.0 to a Boss 5.0??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 04:13 PM
doctorofpain

Question 5.0 to a Boss 5.0??

Simple question for the experts what is the difference in my 2011 5.0 and a Boss 5.0 other than the intake and I'm sure the tune? Thanks for the info
Doc
Old 08-21-2013, 04:38 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mustang+5.0+vs+boss+302
Old 08-22-2013, 02:48 PM
allenmaty
1st Gear Member

Different heads, connecting rods, pistons etc etc. There is actually a lot of different internals as well as the externals you already listed. They are made to take more RPM and a lot more horse power.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:42 AM
Deranged2013
1st Gear Member

CNC ported Heads
Valve springs that handle 8000+ rpms
Different exhaust cams with 13mm lift and a little more duration
Boss intake
Balanced forged crankshaft (Race specs)
Forged pistons
upgraded connecting rods but still not a true forged rod.
Engine can handle up to 800 hp but wouldn't push it passed that.
The clutch was upgraded in the Boss MT-82
Boss aluminum radiator (Can get this with a 2013 + GT track pack option)
oil cooler (Same as above for the 13+ GT track pack option)
Quad exhaust
Front Brake cooling ducts
Staggered wheels 19x9 and 19x9.5
Brembo brakes (Also available for GT track pack cars)
3.73 Torsen differential (Also available on GT track pack cars)
Springs are a little more aggressive than the GT track pack suspension.
Shocks and struts are 5 way adjustable.
Track apps with launch control.
Lopey idle if the track key is installed.
A split PCU that can hold two tunes activated by two separate keys. (Track key)

Some very nice upgrades and well worth it IMO.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:14 PM
Shane780
1st Gear Member

Default transmission

Unfortunately the BOSS only comes in a standard, would love to have one in an automatic.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:26 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Deranged2013
CNC ported Heads
Boss intake
Forged pistons
Quad exhaust

Very good summary, much more exhaustive and better than what I remembered.

Just some additional notes I remember:
The forged pistons are Mahle, the same company that makes them for the GT500, so they are very proven pistons.
The rods are Manly, also powdered metal sintered rods, but forged using better powdered metals.
The tires are upgraded to Perelli PZero Corsas, I think the regular Boss 302 has them, or is it the Laguna Seca that get the Corsas?
Old 08-27-2013, 02:56 AM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Aside from the graphics on a Boss 302 which are cool, which would you rather have.... a Boss 5.0, or a 5.0L GT with a supercharger? Frankly, I think the 5.0L GT with a supercharger will be a nicer car to drive for everyday all around purposes. Supercharged cars drive as smooth as grandma's car until you put your foot in them without all the old school engine building of a naturally aspirated engine.

If I have my facts right, which is always a question, the Boss 302 delivers 444 HP with a lot of high performance parts, while the Roush supercharged 5.0L GT delivers 575 HP & 505 FT/Lbs. of torque from an extremely smooth engine with no old school downsides to making HP. It also has the advantage of not having to put up with some salesman telling you that you should feel lucky to pay through the nose to buy his only Boss 302 or GT 500! That's what turns me off most about the idea of buying one of those Ford produced high HP cars. Insurance rates are often higher too... and of course I would never put Boss 302 graphics on a regular GT... it just wouldn't be right! I've already committed that sin before as you can see! "Mea Culpa, Mea Maximum Culpa!" LOL!

At the "Cruise Nights" there are plenty of mean sounding "Old School" machines, but my "Little 4.6L will eat many of them up without all the rough idle, rattling window glass, and bad gas mileage! Modern superchargers give you lots of HP without all the downsides of other kinds of builds. I'm surprised Ford doesn't use them more and create a supercharged 5.0L. I guess it might hurt GT 500 sales, but a supercharged 5.0L with big brakes, a stronger tranny & clutch and better quality struts & shocks would be all I would want from Ford! Hey, maybe I'll build one myself and not have to put up with "The lean against the cars and smoke salesman thats too lazy to open a manual and learn about the products he is selling!" You've met him! He doesn't need to know anything about the cars he's selling because.... he's going to "SELL" you! He's Mr. Professional Salesman who will be selling carpet in six months!

My little 4.6L is running 467 HP and got 27.5 MPG on my last trip down 1-15 through Las Vegas to St. George, Utah! What else do you want from an engine smaller than a '57 Chevy! Kahoul Dude!

I'm trying to talk myself out of selling my '08 and building a supercharged Coyote! It would be a lot of trouble for the extra 108 HP! PLEASE TALK ME OUT OF IT! I can afford it... but it's so dumb since I have only 10K miles on my '08 and it runs like a jewel! LOL! I'm almost 72 and still a teenaged car guy at heart from my '49 Ford and '56 Chevy in high school a hundred years ago!

This is a restoration of my high school car in the year 1464 B.C. Watch the comments you young whipper snappers (whatever they are???) The first Mustangs were girl's cars until the Boss 302 came out later! Yah! I know those are fighting words.... but not many hot rod guys drove a 62 1/2 Mustang when I was cruising back in the day! ....and don't tell me.... I was there! A '57 Chevy business coupe with a factory fuel injected engine & 4 speed, or a blower (supercharger) was the bomb then! LOL! Your sister had a 62 Mustang with pink dice hanging from the mirror!

I know.... "Get a rope! That there's blast foamy!" But I love today's Mustangs! LOL!

I HOPE YOU GOT A LAUGH OUT OF THIS POST BECAUSE I SPENT A LOT OF TIME ON IT!

Send me a nickel for my 2¢!

Last edited by Mr. D; 08-27-2013 at 04:19 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:05 AM
Deranged2013
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. D
Aside from the graphics on a Boss 302 which are cool, which would you rather have.... a Boss 5.0, or a 5.0L GT with a supercharger? Frankly, I think the 5.0L GT with a supercharger will be a nicer car to drive for everyday all around purposes. Supercharged cars drive as smooth as grandma's car until you put your foot in them without all the old school engine building of a naturally aspirated engine.

If I have my facts right, which is always a question, the Boss 302 delivers 444 HP with a lot of high performance parts, while the Roush supercharged 5.0L GT delivers 575 HP & 505 FT/Lbs. of torque from an extremely smooth engine with no old school downsides to making HP. It also has the advantage of not having to put up with some salesman telling you that you should feel lucky to pay through the nose to buy his only Boss 302 or GT 500! That's what turns me off most about the idea of buying one of those Ford produced high HP cars. Insurance rates are often higher too... and of course I would never put Boss 302 graphics on a regular GT... it just wouldn't be right! I've already committed that sin before as you can see! "Mea Culpa, Mea Maximum Culpa!" LOL!

At the "Cruise Nights" there are plenty of mean sounding "Old School" machines, but my "Little 4.6L will eat many of them up without all the rough idle, rattling window glass, and bad gas mileage! Modern superchargers give you lots of HP without all the downsides of other kinds of builds. I'm surprised Ford doesn't use them more and create a supercharged 5.0L. I guess it might hurt GT 500 sales, but a supercharged 5.0L with big brakes, a stronger tranny & clutch and better quality struts & shocks would be all I would want from Ford! Hey, maybe I'll build one myself and not have to put up with "The lean against the cars and smoke salesman thats too lazy to open a manual and learn about the products he is selling!" You've met him! He doesn't need to know anything about the cars he's selling because.... he's going to "SELL" you! He's Mr. Professional Salesman who will be selling carpet in six months!

My little 4.6L is running 467 HP and got 27.5 MPG on my last trip down 1-15 through Las Vegas to St. George, Utah! What else do you want from an engine smaller than a '57 Chevy! Kahoul Dude!

I'm trying to talk myself out of selling my '08 and building a supercharged Coyote! It would be a lot of trouble for the extra 108 HP! PLEASE TALK ME OUT OF IT! I can afford it... but it's so dumb since I have only 10K miles on my '08 and it runs like a jewel! LOL! I'm almost 72 and still a teenaged car guy at heart from my '49 Ford and '56 Chevy in high school a hundred years ago!

This is a restoration of my high school car in the year 1464 B.C. Watch the comments you young whipper snappers (whatever they are???) The first Mustangs were girl's cars until the Boss 302 came out later! Yah! I know those are fighting words.... but not many hot rod guys drove a 62 1/2 Mustang when I was cruising back in the day! ....and don't tell me.... I was there! A '57 Chevy business coupe with a factory fuel injected engine & 4 speed, or a blower (supercharger) was the bomb then! LOL! Your sister had a 62 Mustang with pink dice hanging from the mirror!

I know.... "Get a rope! That there's blast foamy!" But I love today's Mustangs! LOL!

Nice looking car!
I think you should go test drive one of the new 14 GTs. If you're one the fence, that should get you over it. Your right about adding a supercharger. Best bang for the buck to get the most HP and efficiency out these cars. Just because I have a Boss doesn't mean I'm not going the same route. I have a build plan starting with VMPs TVS kit and full exhaust! Coming soon!
BTW Hope I'm still driving around in a Mustang when I'm 72. I think they actually help keep us young!
Old 08-27-2013, 09:37 AM
SeanW

Originally Posted by Deranged2013
CNC ported Heads
Boss intake
Forged pistons
Quad exhaust

Don't forget that the heads whave provisions in them to be able to run the increased lift on the exhaust cam and if I recall correctly the heads are made of a different aluminum alloy than the GT heads.

Also I do believe it was the Laguna Seca's that came with Corsas as mine has them but they are STUPID expensive at $584 each lol.

Originally Posted by Mr. D

My car drives just as smooth, if not smoother in some instances as a car with a supercharged engine as well even with all this old school engine building technology. Hell I even walked some supercharged 3Vs before. Granted none of them had built engines which gives you an indication of how much HP they have but still. I got 25MPG on the way to NY from SC romping on it when I first bought the car so we are pretty similar there

That's a nice shoe box you got there ... 56 correct? Also the Mustangs came out in 64 not 62 but hey semantics as well as Shelby creating the first non secretaries car in 65 with the GT350 and than the Mustang's image started turning around with Ford building the 68 Cobra Jet

You owe me 7c for your 2c
Old 08-27-2013, 11:08 AM
Deranged2013
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SeanW
Don't forget that the heads whave provisions in them to be able to run the increased lift on the exhaust cam and if I recall correctly the heads are made of a different aluminum alloy than the GT heads.

Also I do believe it was the Laguna Seca's that came with Corsas as mine has them but they are STUPID expensive at $584 each lol.

My car drives just as smooth, if not smoother in some instances as a car with a supercharged engine as well even with all this old school engine building technology. Hell I even walked some supercharged 3Vs before. Granted none of them had built engines which gives you an indication of how much HP they have but still. I got 25MPG on the way to NY from SC romping on it when I first bought the car so we are pretty similar there

That's a nice shoe box you got there ... 56 correct? Also the Mustangs came out in 64 not 62 but hey semantics as well as Shelby creating the first non secretaries car in 65 with the GT350 and than the Mustang's image started turning around with Ford building the 68 Cobra Jet

You owe me 7c for your 2c
Nice LS Sean. Yes, the heads are a different casting and the LS runs Corsas on a 19x10 rear wheel. The rear seat delete is also a very notable upgrade for the LS. Corsas are BIG $$$ and I've seen people having problems with tire separation in the center tread area on the Corsas. Switching to Pilot Super sports when the time comes, which won't be long. These tires don't last for s*#t.
Again, Beautiful LS!!

For those that don't think the Boss is worth the extra money, well you have a right to your own opinion, but until you set your a*# in a Boss and drive it, your opinion doesn't carry much weight. I've owned a 13 GT premium with track pack, all the bells and whistles, plus many mods. The GT was awesome and I loved it but moving on to a Boss was well worth it! Especially since I got a good deal on mine buying it used with 2400 miles on the OD.

Quick Reply: 5.0 to a Boss 5.0??